League Run In (Predictions)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: League Run In (Predictions)

Post by Bart S »

A great backline makes the most of chances created.
Ulster's problem at times remains the lack of ball carrying to commit opposition players and create those opportunities. The slick offloading game helps of course but not so much in the opposition 22.

A lot of maul based tries against weaker opposition have also led to an over reliance on this which good teams can counter
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:40 am
A probably a bit of an easier league in those days as the SA teams were poor. We conceded a lot of points. We conceded 482 points. Just 266 conceded thus far. We ended up 4th in our 7 team conference.

Them stats are lying bastids or aren't they not?

I have no mates.
Easier, like 99 when there were no English teams in the Heiny Cup? :duck:

I'm your mate.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Bart S wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 pm A great backline makes the most of chances created.
Ulster's problem at times remains the lack of ball carrying to commit opposition players and create those opportunities. The slick offloading game helps of course but not so much in the opposition 22.

A lot of maul based tries against weaker opposition have also led to an over reliance on this which good teams can counter
Ulster have a fascination with mauling, sometimes better to get quick ball of the top and give it to McCloskey or Hume.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:40 am
A probably a bit of an easier league in those days as the SA teams were poor. We conceded a lot of points. We conceded 482 points. Just 266 conceded thus far. We ended up 4th in our 7 team conference.

Them stats are lying bastids or aren't they not?

I have no mates.
Easier, like 99 when there were no English teams in the Heiny Cup? :duck:

I'm your mate.
Thanks mate Image
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Stormers 3 Leinster 6 at HT.

On the face of it a Leinster win would be good for Ulster. Only downside is EVEN IF Ulster win tonight, a top 2 finish remains unlikely then. Would need Leinster to beat Munster but Leinstet would already be guaranteed 1st place and would rest their entire front liners.

But let's face it, right now it's a tough ask to even win tonight
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Leinster lose but get BP

Guaranteed top spot no matter what against Munster next week.

All Ulster can do now is win both matches preferably with BPs and keep fingers crossed.

Big ask, especially tonight.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Ospreys game in hand now is key for them to win to keep pressure on Scarlets. Need Scarlets to have something to play for to beat Stormers.

We need to beat Sharks no excuses.

I don't think Leinster will roll over versus Munster.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Leinster have got exactly what they wanted from the trip to SA. Top spot is guaranteed so they can concentrate on Europe without needing to play a full team against munster a week before a possible euro final. Leo might even reward the SA squad with a crack at munster in the Aviva. Scarlets should have something to play for against the stormers so 3rd place is possible and depending on what Leinster decide to put out 2nd is still up for grabs. Should be a good last round of games.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Looking at the table I initially thought Scarlets gad nothing to play for as can't make the top 8, but they are in a battle with Ospreys for top welsh spot and therefore euro qualification
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Bart S wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:40 am Looking at the table I initially thought Scarlets gad nothing to play for as can't make the top 8, but they are in a battle with Ospreys for top welsh spot and therefore euro qualification
Ospreys winning was the second best result of the weekend for us.

The Bulls and the Stormers are going to get the kitchen sink thrown at them.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Its pretty amazing how the fixtures have panned out, with the top 10 teams all playing one another in the last round. Plenty on the line bar the top seeding which would still be available but for a certain TMO.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Friday 6th May
19.35 Cardiff Vs Zebre - Dead rubber as far as we are concerned

Sunday 8th May
15.00 Ospreys Vs Dragons - Ospreys win puts pressure on Scarlets who they are challenging for Welsh Heiny Cup spot. We want Scarlets to have something to play for against Stormers

Friday 13th May
19.35 Dragons Vs Cardiff - Dead Rubber

Saturday 14th May
16.30 Benetton Vs Zebre - Dead Rubber

Friday 20th May
18.00 Benetton Vs Cardiff Rugby - Dead Rubber
19.35 Ulster Vs Sharks - Ulster win with try bonus
20.10 Ospreys Vs Bulls - Ospreys win please. Keeps pressure on Scarlets and Bulls below us.

Saturday 21st May
15.00 Dragons Vs Lions - Dead Rubber
17.00 Connacht Vs Zebre - Dead Rubber
17.10 Scarlets Vs Stormers - Scarlets win please
18.30 Edinburgh Vs Glasgow Warriors - Loser of this plays Leinster away.
19.15 Leinster Vs Munster - Leinster win please. Leinster have to go Leicester, Munster host Toulouse next weekend, results of both will dictate strength of teams in this fixture. In addition Heiny Semis weekend after next if either still invloved will bring about a selection change. Not beyond the realms Munster win and Leinster lose at QF stage.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Leicester and Toulouse doing us no favours at the weekend there. Munster will be now fighting at full strength against presumably Leinster's B team for their final fixture and if they win, there's our home ambitions gone. Having said that, it was always looking like a long shot as we would have needed Scarlets to beat Stormers which doesn't seem like a likely outcome.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

allezlesverres wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:33 am Leicester and Toulouse doing us no favours at the weekend there. Munster will be now fighting at full strength against presumably Leinster's B team for their final fixture and if they win, there's our home ambitions gone. Having said that, it was always looking like a long shot as we would have needed Scarlets to beat Stormers which doesn't seem like a likely outcome.
We do need Leinster and Scarlets to both win in Round 18 to get a home semi final, a win v Sharks will get a home Quarter Final regardless of other results. 4th would probably mean an away semi final at the RDS. 3rd could well be an away semi final v Stormers.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Scarlets have all to play for so I give them a decent chance. SA teams haven't demonstrated an ability to travel yet, yes they are stronger now but playing away from home after being there for months isn't easy.
Hopefully leinster only rest the starting 15 and give the bench a run out against munster. If they do that then they will give munster a game. Assuming they beat toulouse that is.