League Run In (Predictions)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

League Run In (Predictions)

Post by UlsterNo9 »

The Irish
Leinster (1st - 55pts) Munster (A), Sharks (A), Stormers (A), Munster (H)
Ulster (2nd - 50pts) Bulls (A), Munster (H), Edinburgh (A), Sharks (H)
Munster (3rd - 47pts) Leinster (H), Ulster (A), Cardiff (H), Leinster (A)
Anytime Leinster have gone to Munster needing a win in recent years they've gotten it. The South African teams may strike a challenge to them only because the trip will be wedged between European fixtures. However with internationals back I don't think Leinster will lose another league game this season in the regular league even if three of them are away. For Ulster maybe a point next weekend, four points at home V Munster and a win in Edinburgh if we really need it. Sharks at home will be a win. Good for a conservative 10 points. Munster are our closest challenge to a top 2 finish at present, they've a pretty tough assignment. Leinster twice, they'll be targeting the game against us as a ten pointer. It will be a cracker. Ultimately they'll beat Cardiff and pick up a few bonus points - Good for 7 points

The Scots - Glasgow and Edinburgh
Glasgow (4th - 45pts) - Zebre (H), Stormers (A), Bulls (A), Edinbrgh (A)
Edinburgh (5th - 43pts) - Lions (A), Zebre (H), Ulster (H), Glasgow (H)
There'll be a top eight finish for both but where they are in the shake down unsure. I don't think either are capable of four wins on the bounce to jump ourselves into 2nd place. Think both have potential to pick up 12-15 points at best.

The South Africans
Stomers (6th - 38pts) Ospreys (H), Bulls (H), Glasgow (H), Leinster (H), Scarlets (A)
Bulls (7th - 37pts) Ulster (H), Stormers (A), Benetton (H), Glasgow (H) Ospreys (A)
Sharks 8th - 36pts) Dragons (H), Lions (H), Leinster (H), Connacht (H), Ulster (A)
This is where it gets interesting, all of the South African teams have 5 games left, a game more than any of the other teams in the top eight. The Stormers and Sharks have four of those games at home. It will be interesting to see what type of squad Leinster send south if they have the league wrapped up and have eyes on the Heineken Cup. This could affect the shake down. Even if a South African team wins four of their last five I don't see any getting over the 20 point mark.

Best of the rest
I think the current top eight will not change, the Welsh have derbies and with them all being terrible will take points from each other, the Italians.... moving on.

Ulster predicted finish - 2nd
Looking at the other teams, if we can get to 60 points and allow Leinster to do their thing (run away with it) we'll get a home QF and if we can win that, have another home Semi. A win versus Munster at home gets us half way there and rids us from any challenge they could mount.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bobbievee
Warrior

Re: League Run In (Predictions)

Post by Bobbievee »

Niner,
Many thanks
after yesterday, cheered me up no end!!
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Second that Bobbie, thanks Nine for the work done on this certainly helps to simplify what we need going forward.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Hoping I have it right, a win in the home game versus Munster is key. The more games Leinster win the better, they'll efectively kill a Munster challenge to ourselves and if they beat the two Saffer teams it means neither can get to the magic 60 pts.

Finishing above Leinster makes no difference, any final between us and them will be at Lansdowne Road regardless of who is 1st or 2nd. Of course final venue is still to be decided, either way Lansdowne is the only logical answer.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

It just boils the proverbial because if the Stormers result had stood, we'd be well on the way to safety.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

According to Dan we won the Stormers game so please adjust the table accordingly.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:16 pm According to Dan we won the Stormers game so please adjust the table accordingly.
Potentially the most annoying thing since the SLogan "the stadium will be ready for the knockout stage" debacle
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Happy for leinster to romp away to top spot. If we can beat munster and the sharks at home we should be close to getting 2nd. Everyone else will drop points, though if Edinburgh beat the lions this week they will fancy their chances so the game against them will become key also.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
Dave wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:16 pm According to Dan we won the Stormers game so please adjust the table accordingly.
Potentially the most annoying thing since the SLogan "the stadium will be ready for the knockout stage" debacle
Worse than micro climate gate?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:12 pm
big mervyn wrote:
Worse than micro climate gate?
Or when Sparkys head fell off? Think of the childer
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Big Jim Hamilton reckons the final is going to be in South Africa.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Leinster vs Munster in SA. I would love that outcome.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:08 pm Big Jim Hamilton reckons the final is going to be in South Africa.
The South African TMOs are doing their best to ensure it
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Glasgow were beating the Stormers 7-0 for much of the 1st half. Stormers now 13-7 up just into 2nd half.

A Glasgow win would not do us any favours.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Does anyone understand euro qualification for next season? Am I right that Ulster are in danger of not qualifying now?

As far as I can see, it’s the 4 “shield” winners from each of Ireland, Wales, SA and Scot/Italy (combined) that go through along with the next 4 sides (from any country) from the combined league table. So at the minute it would be Leinster, Stormers, Glasgow and Scarlets through as shield winners plus munster, sharks, us and Edinburgh. But Bulls (48) could well catch us (51). Is that right? Their remaining fixtures are Glasgow in SA and Ospreys away - I'm not sure i'd bet against them in either of those.

Can someone please reassure me that I've picked that up wrong? What a turn around for one of the only teams unbeaten in europe until two weeks ago.