Bulls v Ulster Saturday April 2 1pm KO (UK Time) Premier Sports 1 / URC TV (Not in UK/SA) / Supersport (SA)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Bulls v Ulster Saturday April 2 1pm KO (UK Time) Premier Sports 1 / URC TV (Not in UK/SA) / Supersport (SA)

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Didn't come out for the 2nd half, beaten well before altitude kicked in.
Couple of decisions didn't go our way... meh! Wouldn't have made a difference.

We lost a game we expected to lose. Big match for us today is Leinster beating Munster. Hopefully we will not be in South Africa again this season.

Moving on.....
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Bulls v Ulster Saturday April 2 1pm KO (UK Time) Premier Sports 1 / URC TV (Not in UK/SA) / Supersport (SA)

Post by jean valjean »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
SUFTUM_19 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:01 pm Pretty disappointed with that, considering the lead we had at half time I thought we would do better.
Thought at HT that we didn't have a big enough lead.

Taking Duane V off to be replaced by Matty Rea looked to me like a sign of surrender.

I'd rather have a knackered DV over a fresh Matty Rea at 60 minutes never mind 50 minutes.
We'll need 80 from duane next Saturday so that was probably the thinking.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Treatwell has to learn to start lower and go down instead of up

As soon as I saw the manner in which he was "set" to make the tackle it was a card

The contact was always going to be" shoulder first and up " -- nothing wrong with shoulder first it is the upward movement of the shoulder which is a guarantee for a card if you fail to start about mid rift .

bad technique

But for me the player catching the ball was actually more dangerous -- he went for the ball foot up and out towards any on coming player .

A dangerous side the bulls

I thought Doak had a reasonable spell at out half except for the intercept in fact honesty makes me believe he would be better at out half than lowry

Why -- Lowry would play as a play maker but Doak would play as a link between forward and backs -- both would attempt to control the game as out half only the style would differ .

i think it was telling that Doak went to out half rather than Lowry or Cooney --considering both have more experience at Pro level at out half than Doak

Cooney played at out half for Connaught several times and Lowry has cameo when others were injured.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:53 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
SUFTUM_19 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:01 pm Pretty disappointed with that, considering the lead we had at half time I thought we would do better.
Thought at HT that we didn't have a big enough lead.

Taking Duane V off to be replaced by Matty Rea looked to me like a sign of surrender.

I'd rather have a knackered DV over a fresh Matty Rea at 60 minutes never mind 50 minutes.
We'll need 80 from duane next Saturday so that was probably the thinking.
Probably, although DMcF had said we were going for the win, and at 50 minutes that was still a possibility. Events and the substitutions took that away from us. :roll:

It shows that despite claims to the contrary we still do not have sufficient strength in depth to challenge fully for one trophy, let alone 2.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Given madigans showing today has he played himself out of the 23 for next weekend? With cooney and doak both there we do not need a kicker. McIlroys injury was concerning, we are short now on the wing. As he won't be able to train much, so do we go with lyttle?
Also has Marshall done enough to oust Moore from the bench?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:06 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:52 pm No injuries is about all we can take from this tour.
Can't even take that with Jones' busted thumb. Ok, he's not a nailed on starter, but I'd take him ahead of Matty Rea anytime.
I’d take Ethel ahead of Matty Rea.
Treadwell’s top two inches are just meat.
I like Madigan but today was not good enough from him.
The team, particularly the forwards, spent far too much effort trying to run at bodies instead of at space or soft shoulders. They were trying to prove they were as physical as the saffa’s. That wasn’t the time for a d!ck waving contest.
I hope this isn’t the beginning of the unravelling.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Did anyone see the retard from Deliverance holding up a placard at the final whistle which said;
Ulster is meisies club.
Translation; Ulster is a girls club.
He must have got someone to write that for him because he didn’t look capable himself. W@nker.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Pretty decent 1st half from UR. They were generally in possession, but most importantly-generally controlled territory - the bulls were in in UR 22 once? Doaks miss just before HT did seem important at the time. With the general retention on possession, a few “injury stops”, and pens/knock on by bulls giving the breathers & kick territory we needed to control the pace of the game Quite nicely - although he could see the players were feeling it.

Poor start to second half: there were a number of errors which allowed the blues into the game, and crucially for 15mins there were few pens/errors by them not allowing us to exit easy.
For me - players were already starting to blow within mins of 2nd half starting. The support players for carriers at breakdown were late, leading to tom kite retention or turnovers, and the handling steadily got worse. Once the subbing kicked in our set piece went down the toilet, which meant our kicking for corners became a lottery.

General thoughts:
Sub props (scrum) is a problem-tot needs to kick in, he’s now been around the int set up long enough. EOS is a shadow of the player from a season or so ago - very concerning. Stewart looks a good player in the loose- to be fair it didn’t help treadwell went off, but his throwing helped contribute to a lineout lottery.

Madigans misses for touch were absolute killers for our pack. Cooney is searching for form, I think Doak is crimping his mojo.
Centres were tidy, Marshall has been super bearing in mind his lay off. Lowry was tidy but well marshalled. Moore was poor, moxham ok - think both missed shooter tackles, causing major line break issues.
Starting backrow was decent-Rea jnr was good when came on.
Can’t help but feel we’ll fall between 2 stools, and this SA tour and Toulouse double header is a poor run of fixtures-I fancy us in belfast just but anticipate a knock out. Our wing options without JS & RB are pretty uninspiring, and Addisons X factor. These 2 games were big learning curves. Hopefully UR were putting feelers out for a LH because we need one badly. Last week was the killer, not this.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Forgot to mention Marty- thought he was excellent, took a knock but hit 3/4 tackles within couple of mins after, when the bulls were coming at us. Worth his weight in gold to UR, locks a scrum and very underrated in the loose.

Worth mentioning the temp was 26c, prob every bit as important as the altitude- unless there’s been a belfast heatwave I’m unaware of since I was last over? :red:
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

I liked the placards at the end.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

And I no who I blame
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

South African fans generally seem to be a bunch of utter w@nkers.

O’Sullivan has stalled big time, O’toole slightly better. Marshall is almost like a new signing …. The only real plus from this tour. Even Timoney isn’t hitting the heights of last season imo. The better teams have our rolling maul nullified this year. Madigan shouldn’t be seen again any time soon. Cooney for me still well ahead of Doak. Matty Rea a waste of contract but Marcus was decent when he came on. Murphy still way off the pace. What an atrocious lead in to the biggest game of the year (the travel). In saying that I’m still hopeful for next week. Not saying we’ll win but confident we’ll do enough that we are still in with a shout in the return leg.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

StandUp wrote:Did anyone see the retard from Deliverance holding up a placard at the final whistle which said;
Ulster is meisies club.
He must have got someone to write that for him because he didn’t look capable himself. W@nker.
I might regret asking this but what is deliverance?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

HammerTime wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:43 pm South African fans generally seem to be a bunch of utter w@nkers.

O’Sullivan has stalled big time, O’toole slightly better. Marshall is almost like a new signing …. The only real plus from this tour. Even Timoney isn’t hitting the heights of last season imo. The better teams have our rolling maul nullified this year. Madigan shouldn’t be seen again any time soon. Cooney for me still well ahead of Doak. Matty Rea a waste of contract but Marcus was decent when he came on. Murphy still way off the pace. What an atrocious lead in to the biggest game of the year (the travel). In saying that I’m still hopeful for next week. Not saying we’ll win but confident we’ll do enough that we are still in with a shout in the return leg.
Just my opinion, and I might be completely off the mark, but I think Timoney’s best position, by a country mile, is no. 8. When he played there last year, he was brilliant. I don’t think his skill set is properly utilised at 6 or 7.
Lukey has surprised me in his return. I fully expected some ring rust.
Matty should be helping the groundsman cut the grass.
One point from a possible ten is grim, and not how potential title challengers should perform, despite heat and elevation.
I think UR is on the right path, but still some way off being the success we all dream of. If it was any different then we would have nothing to complain about and this forum would be a wasteland. :duck:
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:31 pm
StandUp wrote:Did anyone see the retard from Deliverance holding up a placard at the final whistle which said;
Ulster is meisies club.
I might regret asking this but what is deliverance?
It’s a filum. Burt Reynolds, Jon Voight and some wee sixtoes from Divis.