Vote early, vote often.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Re: Vote early, vote often.

Post by Dublin4 »

As I understand it, the EU would treat NI joining with the ROI as NI rejoining the EU.

Somewhat like East Germany joining when it unified with West Germany in 1990.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Ni will be unstable until reunification and for a while after. It may not happen in our lifetime but it is inevitable.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Dublin4 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:59 pm As I understand it, the EU would treat NI joining with the ROI as NI rejoining the EU.

Somewhat like East Germany joining when it unified with West Germany in 1990.
OK, are you saying that Wales and Scotland can rejoin on their own, I must be missing something?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Belfast QT tonight isn’t it?

Might watch if I’m not too tired after finishing The Cane Field Killings.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

solidarity wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:27 pm
jean valjean wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:46 am
Dublin4 wrote:What I mean about Brexit is that you got a very hard Brexit with GB leaving the Single Market and the Customs Union. I always remember the leader of the Brexiteers, Damien Hannan saying beforehand "certainly there is no question of leaving the Single Market."
That turned out to be untrue.

By the middle ground, I would regard the Alliance Party as your middle ground. They seem to be growing.
While the middle ground is growing I don't think membership of the EU will be a key driver in many ls decisions on a United Ireland.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
Although all the businesses that see EU membership as very good for business, and aren't dyed in the wool Unionists, could well be swayed.
GB is by a distance NI’s biggest trading partner.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

The EU formally decided in 2017 that NI would automatically be in the EU if reunification happened as in the German precedent.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Dublin4 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:55 pm The EU formally decided in 2017 that NI would automatically be in the EU if reunification happened as in the German precedent.
OK, that doesn't have anything to do with Alliance growing, I would imagine Alliance voters would make their own decision on a UI completely unrelated to voting Alliance.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:10 pm
Dublin4 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:55 pm The EU formally decided in 2017 that NI would automatically be in the EU if reunification happened as in the German precedent.
OK, that doesn't have anything to do with Alliance growing, I would imagine Alliance voters would make their own decision on a UI completely unrelated to voting Alliance.
If I understand D4 correctly, he is suggesting that unlike just about every other aspect of a future UI, the availability of membership of the EU has already been defined by those with the authority to make that decision. The ability to immediately return to the EU (albeit under inferior conditions) may be a factor in many of the APNI voters' decision making.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

BR wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:38 am
Lurgan Lad wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:10 pm
If I understand D4 correctly, he is suggesting that unlike just about every other aspect of a future UI, the availability of membership of the EU has already been defined by those with the authority to make that decision. The ability to immediately return to the EU (albeit under inferior conditions) may be a factor in many of the APNI voters' decision making.
Thanks BR, just reading through the posts my fuzzy mind is a bit clearer now, thanks again
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Is that the kind of sh1te that goes on in an orange hall?
It’s not an organisation that I’ve ever had any interest in, or had much respect for, but I didn’t think it was as atrocious as that.
I’m actually stunned by this.
I once worked with a guy who was constantly trying to find out what religion I was. Of course I deliberately kept him guessing to mess with his head. He was very vocal about his hatred of “Taigs” as he called them and time after time I asked him why he hated them so. Eventually he admitted he didn’t really know why, it was just the way he was brought up. His father and grandfather taught him to hate.
Same sort of mindless hatred as this video.
Hopefully these fools are identified, isolated from their communities and sacked from their jobs- although I suspect there aren’t too many neurosurgeons or astrophysicists among them.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

One was a Linfield coach. Now sacked.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Absolute lowlife.

Had the misfortune to come across the Twelfth in Belfast last year. The most depressing example of the dregs of humanity I have ever witnessed.

Takes the gloss off yer man's MBE and the positive spin afforded by the media to the Centenary parade.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

StandUp wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:48 pm Is that the kind of sh1te that goes on in an orange hall?
It’s not an organisation that I’ve ever had any interest in, or had much respect for, but I didn’t think it was as atrocious as that.
I once worked with a guy who was constantly trying to find out what religion I was. Of course I deliberately kept him guessing to mess with his head. He was very vocal about his hatred of “Taigs” as he called them and time after time I asked him why he hated them so. Eventually he admitted he didn’t really know why, it was just the way he was brought up. His father and grandfather taught him to hate.
Hopefully these fools are identified, isolated from their communities and sacked from their jobs- although I suspect there aren’t too many neurosurgeons or astrophysicists among them.
So you have decided to tar every member of the loyal orders because of this video? Perhaps you have issues also.

What is your stance on GAA county sides chanting IRA songs and clubs being named after terrorists and others annual hosting nights to comemerate ‘fallen comrades’?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Big-al wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:51 pm
StandUp wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:48 pm Is that the kind of sh1te that goes on in an orange hall?
So you have decided to tar every member of the loyal orders because of this video? Perhaps you have issues also.

What is your stance on GAA county sides chanting IRA songs and clubs being named after terrorists and others annual hosting nights to comemerate ‘fallen comrades’?
That post is whataboutery at it's finest Al.

I challenge you to find any comments in support of the above here, from StandUp or anyone else. I suspect you may find several condemning such behaviour and unchallenged.

That video would take some beating in terms of offense. If it was my daughter ...
Big Neville Southall