Vote early, vote often.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Vote early, vote often.

Post by fermain »

Elly needs a logo!
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Just thought I'd throw this into the mix:
'The unpalatable truth emerging from the growing weight of pensioners in the overall electorate is that, for the first time since 1789, there is a valid argument against universal suffrage and representative democracy. It is not normal that the inactive should decide for the active, who produce goods and children. No society can long survive massive transfers of resources to the old at the expense of the new generations. If we want to save representative democracy, we will have to find an electoral formula that allows the active population to remain in power, or even better, to return to it.'
Originally written about France but interesting here as well.
Source: https://unherd.com/?p=425203?tl_inbound ... a331aec4af
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

solidarity wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:57 am Just thought I'd throw this into the mix:
'The unpalatable truth emerging from the growing weight of pensioners in the overall electorate is that, for the first time since 1789, there is a valid argument against universal suffrage and representative democracy. It is not normal that the inactive should decide for the active, who produce goods and children. No society can long survive massive transfers of resources to the old at the expense of the new generations. If we want to save representative democracy, we will have to find an electoral formula that allows the active population to remain in power, or even better, to return to it.'
Originally written about France but interesting here as well.
Source: https://unherd.com/?p=425203?tl_inbound ... a331aec4af
An interesting article in its totality - thank you for putting it up. In the short term, perhaps reducing those massive transfers of resources to the old at the expense of the new generation might help - like taxes on both assets (house wealth) and income (pensions over a certain size via NI etc) ? In the medium term, older voters, especially in France, do change their views over the generations; 25 or more years ago the strength of the Communist Party lay in the older generations. In the long term, as Keynes noted, we are all dead. Even the 'new generation'.

As for his central thesis, that "if we want to save representative democracy, we will have to find an electoral formula that allows the active population to remain in power, or even better, to return to it", then perhaps the level of participation of the active/new generation in politics might need to rise somewhat too ? Switching off because 'they're all the same' etc etc doesn't help at all in furthering your own class'/generations interests. The turn-out in the 1950 UK General Election was 83.9% (source: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/re ... /cbp-8060/). I would propose that the demographic structure of the UK in 1950 was reasonably similar to 2022. I've far more time for the 3m voters in France who went to the polling station and either returned a blank or invalid vote than the 30% of the electorate who abstained. Change is coming down south because (a) SF appear to have postioned themselves as the receptacle for the new generation vote and (b) when it comes to it, SF will get that vote out.

Where Todd's thesis is, to my mind, far more relevant and applicable, is the control of large swathes of the party landscape and in particular candidate and leadership selection by the older generation. This is particularly the case with the UK Conservatives and, it would seem, the DUP. I don't know enough about SF - they may just be more cynical or have different criteria for selection but do you really think that the DUP, or even the UUP, would put up a 29 year old woman (Emma Sheerin in Mid-Ulster) ?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

It was mainly the older French voters who kept Le Pen out. The working population were much more polarized both left and right. So much for becoming more right wing as you get older.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

being conservative with a small C does not make you right wing but it indicates a realisation that change frequently can only make things worse .

That many of the values and principles that have evolved were not devised because they perfect but because they are better than the alternatives .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

WestDr wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:25 pm
Where Todd's thesis is, to my mind, far more relevant and applicable, is the control of large swathes of the party landscape and in particular candidate and leadership selection by the older generation. This is particularly the case with the UK Conservatives and, it would seem, the DUP. I don't know enough about SF - they may just be more cynical or have different criteria for selection but do you really think that the DUP, or even the UUP, would put up a 29 year old woman (Emma Sheerin in Mid-Ulster) ?
If I'm right, Bethany Ferris (UUP N.Antrim) is 26/27. She's very much the exception in the main parties but there seem to be a number of younger people (especially women?) in the fringe groups. Of course fringe groups have little chance of making much of an impact but, who knows what the direction of travel might be.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:32 pm
WestDr wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:25 pm
If I'm right, Bethany Ferris (UUP N.Antrim) is 26/27. She's very much the exception in the main parties but there seem to be a number of younger people (especially women?) in the fringe groups. Of course fringe groups have little chance of making much of an impact but, who knows what the direction of travel might be.
Makes you feel old when you realise nearly all of the candidates are younger than you are.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I see Andy Trimble is endorsing SDLP candidate Conor Houston. But but but he's a prod, I hear you say. Well I actually remember Trimby saying he didn't identify as protestant or Catholic growing up, essentially as he didn't know despite being a man of faith. I suppose it's interesting as most 10 year olds would not be able to explain the difference from a theological/doctrinal perspective. Interestingly he also says he doesn't see himself as Irish or British. Probably helped with the kiwis in the Ireland squad. I don't like flags or countries (or people) myself but it's nice to see someone articulate a reason to vote based on real issues. Of course the usual orange/green popularity contest will inevitably ensue...
Last edited by Dave on Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

solidarity wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:32 pm
Thank you - I'd not noted her, probably since I've not been that way to see any of her posters. Her route into politics is laid out here: https://5050ni.com/2022/04/04/5050-ni-m ... ny-ferris/. I really do hope Doug Beattie wasn't so desperate for candidates he asked the next person he saw - she certainly makes it sound like it :scratch:

From reading that article, I'm as interested in what is not mentioned (she represented the School of Theology on the Student Council and then nothing more said.... in a constituency such as North Antrim, no mention of any faith ? Although have no idea whether Green Pastures is seen as a good or bad thing in the area) as what is, but then it probably wasn't the sort of subject that this particular interviewer/website were especially interested in.

Tbh, having read nearly all of the profiles on that site, it's a little depressing to see how many (a) have been involved in politics for ages and have come through the 'community organisations' route and/or (b) are scions of political dynasties. Still, better than pale stale males in badly-fitting suits. On that note, is that larger than life-size head of Paul Givan poster still right in your eye-line as you leave the roundabout by McDonalds at Sprucefield ? A real shocker and hazard to traffic !

Meanwhile, more (sort of) election-related news from North Antrim: https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2022/ ... n-ireland/
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Have to say,, Paul Givan did a reasonable job as First Minister imo. Actually seemed to rise above the party stuff and tried to fulfil the office with some dignity. That's how it appeared to me at any rate and I'm about as far away from the DUP as you can get.
Last edited by big mervyn on Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

He did until he didn't. Then the turkeys who voted for Xmas got the shock of their lives. They realised they were mislead by Boris Johnson. Whaaaat??? Yup. So it's all the protocols fault or the eu or probably just sinn fein.

So then it was time to spit the dummy. Rinse and repeat.

There was a lot of spit.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:31 pm Have to say,, Paul Givan did a reasonable job as First Minister imo. Actually seemed to rise above the party stuff and tried to fulfil the office with some dignity. That's how it appeared to je at any rate and I'm about as far away from the DUP as you can get.
Had a few dealings with him years ago as a local MLA. He did OK.

He's also the only MLA who has called at my door asking if there was anything that I would like to raise with him - not at election time.

That said one of his competitors has also called at my door asking if he could help me when I was moving in; and at the time, he wasn't even a politician - just a good neighbour (everyone needs them).
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

SF 5-1 on to win most seats with William Hill.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:25 pm SF 5-1 on to win most seats with William Hill.
That may be wortg considering.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk