Toulouse v Ulster H Cup Round of 16 1st Leg Saturday April 9th 3:15pm KO (UK Time) BT Sport 3/beIN SPORTS/ France 2 TV

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Toulouse v Ulster H Cup Round of 16 1st Leg Saturday April 9th 3:15pm KO (UK Time) BT Sport 3/beIN SPORTS/ France 2 TV

Post by Neill_M »

Wayne Barnes is the referee and Tom Foley (RFU) TMO.

So what do people think is an achievable deficit to overcome if Ulster lose on Saturday? I reckon 10 points.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Toulouse v Ulster H Cup Round of 16 1st Leg Saturday April 9th 3:15pm KO (UK Time) BT Sport 3/beIN SPORTS/ France 2

Post by big mervyn »

Neill_M wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:45 am Wayne Barnes is the referee and Tom Foley (RFU) TMO.

So what do people think is an achievable deficit to overcome if Ulster lose on Saturday? I reckon 10 points.
Yeah. Got a chance with 10. Even then, an early score for Toulouse at Ravenhill and we've got a mountain to climb.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Toulouse v Ulster H Cup Round of 16 1st Leg Saturday April 9th 3:15pm KO (UK Time) BT Sport 3/beIN SPORTS/ France 2

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Neill_M wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:45 am Wayne Barnes is the referee and Tom Foley (RFU) TMO.

I know you're not suggesting it, but I reckon Ulster have to approach this looking for the win rather than keeping any deficit down to a certain number.

The goal might change during the game and match management may need to be taken seriously, but if we just go into this looking to keep their score down, we risk a hammering.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

That said Captain I still expect a defensive approach to the game

ie don't contest the break down unless it is essential
don't go for the extra metre in possession unless within scoring distance

Mimimise the penalties against and try to ensure the game is played in their half giving Ulster the opportunity to kick any penalties awarded to them and/or head for the opposition corner hopefully with a few variations of the line , maul and plays to take advantage of the opportunity.

Ie I don't expect Ulster to be running the ball inside their own 22 or behind the 10 metre line I expect an over abundance of "Doak" ball

I would expect ulster to be practicing kicking and space seeking returns -- long low kicks towards the corner rather high and long chases up the middle

a game of containment and exploitation rather out and out attack.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Yes go all out for the win in ToulouseI but I almost would rather go into the match at Ravers with a narrow loss rather than going in trying to protect a lead.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

HammerTime wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:20 am Yes go all out for the win in ToulouseI but I almost would rather go into the match at Ravers with a narrow loss rather than going in trying to protect a lead.
You don't want to be winning at HT?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Go all out for the win to keep us as close as possible but it’s not a disaster if it’s a narrow loss(obviously). I would worry about Ulster team/crowd mindset if we somehow got a win. It would be a nervous week leading into it. Versus a Big noisy crowd and a pumped up team trying to re-gain a narrow deficit imo would be the best. But at the end of the day it is Toulouse and they’re going to throw everything at this as they won’t win their league so we could get well duffed in both games.😫
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I'd still prefer to be leading. It gives you an opportunity of winning the toss at Ravenhill, kicking the ball deep into their territory and potentially securing some early points.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

HammerTime wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:29 am But at the end of the day it is Toulouse and they’re going to throw everything at this as they won’t win their league so we could get well duffed in both games.😫
We won't get duffed at ravers. We may lose, but it won't be a duffing.(unless something extreme happens like red card(s) or serious injuries).

(To the tune of "Those were the days my friend")
You're going to lose, Toulouse
You're going to lose ....
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Paddy Power have Toulouse as 11 point favourites, which logically is probably about right. That said, I'm strangely confident that Ulster are going to step up and make a contest of it.

I'm not sure I agree that Ulster should be looking at play 'Doak Ball' either. We beat Clermont in France precisely by taking the game to them and think that's what we should try and do here. The only difference is that as it's not 'winner takes all' there shouldn't be any chasing the game with 50-50 passes if we're slightly behind.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Unfortunately there is no longer anyone to correct me on this, but I believe we have a better record over Toulouse than any other french team. There is nothing to fear!

except their world class players
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Think we have 100% records against both Montpellier and Oyannax? As far as I'm aware we've only played both twice though...
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

MightyRearranger wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:08 pm Think we have 100% records against both Montpellier and Oyannax? As far as I'm aware we've only played both twice though...
... and Castre.

Our best record against French teams we've played more than twice is 5-3 v Clermont.

Currently 5-1-5 against Toulouse.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:33 pm
MightyRearranger wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:08 pm Think we have 100% records against both Montpellier and Oyannax? As far as I'm aware we've only played both twice though...
... and Castre.

Our best record against French teams we've played more than twice is 5-3 v Clermont.

Currently 5-1-5 against Toulouse.
It's definitely our best record against French teams we've played 11 times. Currently 5-6 v Stade Francais!
Big Neville Southall
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

A 20 point loss this weekend and a 6pt win the following weekend is my prediction.

It’ll be the great achievement since 1999 to beat this talented Toulouse squad over 2 legs.