Toulouse Vs Ulster - Man of the match

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Poll ended at Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:20 pm

Mike Lowry
No votes
Robert Baloucoune
79%
James Hume
3%
Stuart McCloskey
No votes
Ben Moxham
3%
Billy Burns
No votes
John Cooney
No votes
Eric O’Sullivan
No votes
Rob Herring
No votes
Marty Moore
No votes
Alan O’Connor
No votes
Iain Henderson
No votes
Marcus Rea
No votes
Nick Timoney
3%
Duane Vermeulen
9%
Brad Roberts
No votes
Andrew Warwick
3%
Tom O’Toole
No votes
Kieran Treadwell
No votes
Jordi Murphy
No votes
Nathan Doak
No votes
Luke Marshall
No votes
Rob Lyttle
No votes

Total votes: 33

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Quite a few top notch performances, for me The Cat was on fire and man of the match but who was the pick of the forwards?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Toulouse Vs Ulster - Man of the match

Post by solidarity »

Even if he hadn't scored the tries, I'd still have given it to him for his defence.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Agreed. The three tried would have expected of any winger given those opportunities, but his recovery speed and strength in the tackled was outstanding.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I think the pack really had their work cut out. The power was immense from the Toulose side. Some great jackals from EOS, Timoney, Duane etc. Marcus Rea worked his socks off. Marty Moore is worth his considerable weight in gold. Hendy looked pooped from last week. Maybe missed a few tackles. You couldn't necessarily fault them with the level of opposition.

Rob thoroughly deserves his accolade. The best winger in Ireland at present.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

Gave it to RB but Nathan Doak deserves an honourable mention for the tackle he made
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

From what I can recall that was the best overall performance by an ulster winger in Europe since Andrew Trimble at home to Leocester around 2012 from memory.
Baloucoune was outstanding - his finishes, amazing break, great chasing and tackling. I recall twice where he made tackles and immediately got up and made another.

Absolutely outstanding
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Bangors wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:55 am Gave it to RB but Nathan Doak deserves an honourable mention for the tackle he made
I think Andy Warwick also made a great one when one of their players slipped past Timoney I think. Couldn't believe Warwick got him.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Bart S wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:14 pm
Baloucoune was outstanding - his finishes, amazing break, great chasing and tackling. I recall twice where he made tackles and immediately got up and made another.
I think that's a great example whereby a 7s background mentality has clearly benefited a player
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Still a nice defensive read by RB to go for the interception, Toulouse actually had an overlap: fair play RB saw he was against a forward, and DuPonts pass was sloppy so he picked their pocket.
:red:
DuPont was pretty ballsy post game in his opinion that the winger shouldn’t have had a red (and general ref injustice) - it was a red as long as he has a hole in his Brennan.

Hopefully this feeds into a frenzied atmosphere at Ravenhill-hopefully Doak/Cooney &Rea can get on his back. This could be the game to really fire the atmosphere back up, interesting comments by McWhirter that things have gone a bit flat atmosphere wise.
My last game over was Bath which was a flat performance win, whereas the time before was R92 and the place was absolutely bouncing….we need that next week.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

The atmosphere at Ravers has been flat most of the time for a while now. We can hardly get a single round of SUFTUM at the start of either half and next to nothing thereafter. When was the last time we had a 'Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio' when an oppo player was sent to the sin bin?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Dave wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:36 am I think the pack really had their work cut out. The power was immense from the Toulose side. Some great jackals from EOS, Timoney, Duane etc. Marcus Rea worked his socks off. Marty Moore is worth his considerable weight in gold. Hendy looked pooped from last week. Maybe missed a few tackles. You couldn't necessarily fault them with the level of opposition.
A corporate MOTM for the pack?

Could well get my vote.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

solidarity wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:16 pm The atmosphere at Ravers has been flat most of the time for a while now. We can hardly get a single round of SUFTUM at the start of either half and next to nothing thereafter. When was the last time we had a 'Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio' when an oppo player was sent to the sin bin?
Probably still manage several Marseillaises though :duh:
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Terrific effort by our forwards against their monsters.
Rob was on fire in both attack and defence.
Hopefully they can raise the emotional intensity again this week without becoming headless chickens.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

solidarity wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:16 pm The atmosphere at Ravers has been flat most of the time for a while now. We can hardly get a single round of SUFTUM at the start of either half and next to nothing thereafter. When was the last time we had a 'Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio' when an oppo player was sent to the sin bin?
Like the 'most of the time' dropped in there.... thought the last 20 v Leinster at home was the most committed crowd I'd heard for a while.....and I'd contend that it really made a difference for the players. This season v Clermont was good too (although the choice in the last 5 minutes to support or quietly worry seemed a valid one).

Interesting that for the one of the most recent matches (?v Leinster or Connacht?) the PA didn't play the Pet Shop Boys tune at the start of at least one of the halves (or was it both ?) and a SUFTUM still managed to get organised. Getting that right (with or without the music) is easily sorted by the camera outside the changing rooms being linked to the big screen - watch the match on TV and you get to see them in the corridor, but it's never shown on the big screens in the ground ???

As for why it's generally been flat over the past few seasons ? Well, I'd propose two things:
(i) there is now a general expectation that Ulster will win, therefore why do anything but watch and marvel. It's only the tight matches where the crowd get aerated (which they will v Toulouse).
(ii) not a lot of terrible decisions to get the crowd riled - the almost arbitrary red carding of players when there is any head contact at all seems to confuse rather than enrage. And the endless nanny-ing about to get there takes the ire out too... Btw, absolutely loved Wayne Barnes's brisk summary of the four things J-C Malla didn't do at all well on Saturday. The only answer Barnes was taking from the TMO was yes. Quinton Immelman, beware Mr Barnes.

And finally, there's always two other reasons -
  • far too many people arriving late into their seats with pints and leaving before the end of the half for the bar or the car. You're too busy getting up and down to get involved in the match; and
  • selective memory of the great occasions (e.g. Sarries QF in 2014). Even in the Muller/Pienaar & Jackson/Olding years plenty of snore fests for the crowd.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Also - I don't gulder any more.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk