6 Nations 2023

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

MightyRearranger
Warrior

Re: 6 Nations 2023

Post by MightyRearranger »

No Cooney in the Scotland squad, think it was this tournament where he becomes eligible, all be it a couple of games in? Not sure if I'd be reading too much into it thinking that might bode well for him staying past the end of the season?
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Cooney was never going to go to Scotland, I think that was just contract negs. If he goes I'd guess france was a more likely destination for a proper pension.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Neill_M wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:34 am
justinr73 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:26 am No Tredders or Timoney.
Or Lowry.

Stockdale, McCloskey, Henderson, Herring & TOT - the Ulster 5. A couple of those guys bit lucky to get selected based on recent form.
Treadwell is the only one who can feel aggrieved. Rest have been mediocre too many times this season. Neither Stockdale, Lowry nor Balacoune deserve to be there.

Surprised " potentially one of the world's best wingers" isn't there though... McIlroy :lol: :cheers: AF out
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

allezlesverres wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:55 am Surprised to see stockdale in there, but pleased for him. He has been getting a kicking for recent performances (justifiably) but I feel like he will turn it round if he gets that confidence back. Maybe being included in this squad will help him.
International arena not the place to try and find form imo. More pressure. Contractual obligation...
Exterminate all rational thought
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

I think the Ireland coaches probably just want to have a look at Jacob up close. His central contract is up soon, and they seem to be giving him a chance to convince them it might be worth renewing it, which I think is pretty decent of them. We'll see if they keep him during the tournament or let us have him back for the Sharks game.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

On current form Stockdale isn't close to deserving a spot in the Ireland squad and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd have him in the Ulster 23 at the minute. It seems all of our recent opponents have been targeting him with the high balls and he hasn't looked amazing at the other aspects of the game either.

What he has going in his favour though, is that he's already proven if he gets back to top form, he has the potential to be world class and a star of the Ireland team. The year he broke the 6 nations scoring record he was borderline unplayable. At the minute, although Ireland have several capable wingers I don't think there's anyone else I'd think of as a nailed on starter for the wing.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

paddybrown wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:22 pm I think the Ireland coaches probably just want to have a look at Jacob up close. His central contract is up soon, and they seem to be giving him a chance to convince them it might be worth renewing it, which I think is pretty decent of them. We'll see if they keep him during the tournament or let us have him back for the Sharks game.
Paddy, agreed, really the only sensible explanation. They want another close up look. An opportunity for JS in for rebuilding confidence within the company of top class class international players and coaches. Fingers crossed for him, and for Ulster
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Slightly different take on it:

Can’t see his CC being renewed for starters. Defo want a close up look at him. Get the coaches on him, for their own close up assessment of where he is, check his fitness, and potentially a sports psychologist too.

Like Lowe his left boot is a major option for an Irish back 3, as Keenan isn’t the longest kicker. Maybe he can respond better in an ire environment-but let’s be honest he is a shadow of 2018. Really how many top games for UR has he had in 3yrs? His catching is 50/50 when a box kick is involved. His basic skills seem to have regressed. The game breaking potential is still there but that memory is getting distant by the game, and there are younger better skilled (less mistakes) coming through.

When you have Doris Sheehan VdF without CCs who are arguably far more important to ire’s gameplan/future. I wouldn’t be wasting one on Stockdale.
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

Stockdale’s certainly an odd one, didn’t see that coming - that being said I was impressed with him earlier in the season, and more recently all of our outside backs have suffered from the total collapse of our attacking gameplan. It’s probably the case that they just want to run the rule over him in camp, I don’t see him troubling a 23 tbh..

The other head melter for me is Murray - crazy given how poor his form is. I’m not a huge fan of Casey either tbh, but with Blade and Patterson playing well, and even Doak, strange that he’s still cluttering up the squad..
..one more thing
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Don't we have on another thread, Irish Indy saying Jacob's out: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 94923.html
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

Ok I'm half drunk, but does anyone else think it would be worth trying Stockdale at 12?
Dura lex sed lex
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

solidarity wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:28 pm Don't we have on another thread, Irish Indy saying Jacob's out: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 94923.html
Loses CC in the Summer. There were a few lads picked in the Ireland squad on past credit / central deals v current form.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Ive been hoping for some kind of Josh Adams esque - renaissance/change in perceived temperament but no signs of it. To be fair Ulsters attack going to brad pitt really has put the boot in for Jacob, but let’s face it he isn’t helping himself either.

I’d be having a stern word with skills coach and Lowry Jacob and RB, as frankly in my opinion their fielding has been generally poor and far from secure this season compared to last. A back 3 player with an insecure fielding game, has a very limited lifespan in international rugby. A bit of tough love and self reflection is probably due.

We can produce players with X factor….but not necessarily rounded skills. Leinster players coming through have great basics. Joey Obrien is a prime example, Osborne looks a player too.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I wouldn’t discount the possibility that centrally contracted players are guaranteed a squad place, when fit, in consideration for signing up.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Dharper wrote:Ive been hoping for some kind of Josh Adams esque - renaissance/change in perceived temperament but no signs of it. To be fair Ulsters attack going to brad pitt really has put the boot in for Jacob, but let’s face it he isn’t helping himself either.

I’d be having a stern word with skills coach and Lowry Jacob and RB, as frankly in my opinion their fielding has been generally poor and far from secure this season compared to last. A back 3 player with an insecure fielding game, has a very limited lifespan in international rugby. A bit of tough love and self reflection is probably due.

We can produce players with X factor….but not necessarily rounded skills. Leinster players coming through have great basics. Joey Obrien is a prime example, Osborne looks a player too.
Not enough players with a GAA background to catch a high ball.