Photos of players for Wikipedia?

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

paddybrown
Novice

Photos of players for Wikipedia?

Post by paddybrown »

I've been doing a bit of work trying to improve the coverage of Ulster Rugby on Wikipedia. It'd be nice to illustrate some of the articles with photos, but pretty much all the photos I've been able to find online are from commercial photographers and are not available for use on Wikipedia for copyright reasons. Is there anyone on the board who has any photos they'd be happy to be used on the site under a Creative Commons licence?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Photos of players for Wikipedia?

Post by Dave »

I could draw some stick men for you. Sorry maybe you're not allowed to say that. Stick persons.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:09 pm I could draw some stick men for you. Sorry maybe you're not allowed to say that. Stick persons.
I believe the accepted term is 'OIRA Volunteer' :terror:
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

In a Google search, decent images with CC licences were available for Rory Best, Tommy Bowe (in Ospreys strip), Chris Henry, Nick Williams, Ruan Pienaar and... wait for it... yep, you guessed it... Paddy Jackson.
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

Yeah, those guys already have photos on Wikipedia - probably the same ones you found. The only players in the current squad who have photos are Sam Carter (with Australia), Jordi Murphy (with Ireland), Duane Vermeulen (with the Boks), Billy Burns (in a coat on the sidelines, probably with Gloucester), Ian Madigan (with Ireland) and Jacob Stockdale (in civvies).

I emailed Ulster Rugby and asked if they had any photos I could use, and they said no. I messaged the Front Row Union, but I haven't got a reply. Any other ideas?
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Get yourself a Trilby and a trench coat. Put a card with Press written on it in the headband. Sneak onto the pitch with your camera that has a flashgun the size of a satellite dish. Take photos of the players exiting the tunnel. Having said that you'll have to be quick changing the flashbulbs. Apart from that I'm out of ideas.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Write glowing fan letters to each of them ( or these days Twitterer or Facebook them) and ask for signed photos. You will be inundated!!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Our former artist in residence Stan d'Up (any relation StanDup?) used to do some excellent work.

Where did he go?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

This is Stockdale wearing that purple kit that time.
Snapchat-1429413778.jpg
Snapchat-1429413778.jpg (8.09 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:15 am This is Stockdale wearing that purple kit that time. Snapchat-1429413778.jpg
Shocking haircut
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
Dave wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:15 am This is Stockdale wearing that purple kit that time. Snapchat-1429413778.jpg
Shocking haircut
Hence the concern on his face.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

big mervyn wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:44 am Our former artist in residence Stan d'Up (any relation StanDup?) used to do some excellent work.

Where did he go?
I heartily disavow all knowledge of said person.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Doesn't seem like anyone is much help to you Paddy. Back in the day, a few folk around here used to take decent cameras to games, but it seems now it is left to the professionals with associated intellectual property rights.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk