Ulster v Sharks Friday May 20th 7:35pm BBC2NI / TG4 / Premier Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster v Sharks Friday May 20th 7:35pm BBC2NI / TG4 / Premier Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by big mervyn »

jean valjean wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:17 am QF confirmed for Friday 3rd night at 7.35pm

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
What did I tell you Justin. 'Tis the Ulster Way.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Sharks Friday May 20th 7:35pm BBC2NI / TG4 / Premier Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by BR »

And - yes, it's on TV
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

When is the team announced? :duck:
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:27 am
jean valjean wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:17 am QF confirmed for Friday 3rd night at 7.35pm

Sigh.

Do they use the ground for something else on a Saturday?

Suppose I’ll at least get to see some of the show, unlike the previously arranged Munster game which cost me the price of two Alan Partridge tickets.

Mind you, I never feel 100% welcome at a Damien Dempsey gig and turning up late in an Ulster shirt isn’t going to help.

Hopefully, he’ll already have sung “Colony” by the time I get there.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:57 am
big mervyn wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:27 am

Sigh.

Do they use the ground for something else on a Saturday?

Suppose I’ll at least get to see some of the show, unlike the previously arranged Munster game which cost me the price of two Alan Partridge tickets.

Mind you, I never feel 100% welcome at a Damien Dempsey gig and turning up late in an Ulster shirt isn’t going to help.

Hopefully, he’ll already have sung “Colony” by the time I get there.
I've noticed that Michelle O'Neill has been bigging up her "Ulster" identity recently. Wrap yerself in a 9 counties fleg :fleg:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BR wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:31 pm By the way does anyone know how the semi final venues are chosen?

From URC:
Semi-final 1 (SF1) - the winner of QF1 versus the winner of QF4. The winner of QF1 will be the ‘home’ Club unless Pro Rugby Championship determines otherwise.

Semi-final 2 (SF2) - the winner of QF2 versus the winner of QF3. The winner of QF2 will be the ‘home’ Club unless Pro Rugby Championship determines otherwise.,

Also from URC:
The two highest-ranked winners from the Final Eight (quarter-finals) will play their Final Four fixtures (semi-finals) at home
And this morning from URC:
Winners of QF1 play at home to winners of QF4 in Semi-final 1

Winners of QF2 play at home to winners of QF3 in Semi-finals 1

Semi-Final 1: Leinster/Glasgow Warriors v Vodacom Bulls/Cell C Sharks

Semi-Final 2: DHL Stormers/Edinburgh v Ulster v Munster
The words pissup and brewery spring to mind.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Doesn't seem right does it? League ranking should always confer an advantage where possible.
Big Neville Southall
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

allezlesverres wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:59 pm The good news is that we are finally secure in euro qualification so that's a big story. To miss that would have been so cruel for what has been a generally good season.

As regards the QF/SF I don't get the pessimism about Munster. At home, and provided we get marty, dwayne, and iain on the pitch we will be ready for them. Bookies will rightly have us comfortable favourites and I think we will get passed them with room to spare.

That would send us to stormers for a SF. Home advantage isn't a massive thing for stormers and we beat them last time but for a cheating TMO. We will beat them again with the excitement of a SF. That means we end up back in the Aviva with Mexico, who I'm sad to say will probably pump us by 50 in the final. Still, getting to the final would be a successful season all things considered. Plus in a final match? Who knows, every once in a while we surprise Leinster. Maybe this will be one such game.
Can't remember the last time we surprised when Leinster when they had a full team out and the result mattered though
Not sure we'll get any where near them any way, horrible feeling Munster's pack will do for us, never mind the trip to Africa
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

If Stormers win their QF, what’s the chances that the semi gets moved to a neutral venue rather than in SA?
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

Soda wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:36 pm
allezlesverres wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:59 pm The good news is that we are finally secure in euro qualification so that's a big story. To miss that would have been so cruel for what has been a generally good season.

As regards the QF/SF I don't get the pessimism about Munster. At home, and provided we get marty, dwayne, and iain on the pitch we will be ready for them. Bookies will rightly have us comfortable favourites and I think we will get passed them with room to spare.

That would send us to stormers for a SF. Home advantage isn't a massive thing for stormers and we beat them last time but for a cheating TMO. We will beat them again with the excitement of a SF. That means we end up back in the Aviva with Mexico, who I'm sad to say will probably pump us by 50 in the final. Still, getting to the final would be a successful season all things considered. Plus in a final match? Who knows, every once in a while we surprise Leinster. Maybe this will be one such game.
Can't remember the last time we surprised when Leinster when they had a full team out and the result mattered though
Not sure we'll get any where near them any way, horrible feeling Munster's pack will do for us, never mind the trip to Africa
This match will be entirely different. We can’t possibly play as badly again - it was absolutely dire, which nowadays is exceptional for Ulster. We were coming off the back of the head-wrecking disappointment of losing to Toulouse in our home patch and missing out on the quarters by 1 point, 60-59. The mindset will be completely different this time. I have no doubt Ulster will be massively up for it - and the guys will be thinking ‘we owe them one’, which we do. I don’t say it will be easy, but it will be a proper inter-pro and Ulster are a genuinely better team than Munster.
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

flatpass wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:56 pm

This match will be entirely different. We can’t possibly play as badly again - it was absolutely dire, which nowadays is exceptional for Ulster. We were coming off the back of the head-wrecking disappointment of losing to Toulouse in our home patch and missing out on the quarters by 1 point, 60-59. The mindset will be completely different this time. I have no doubt Ulster will be massively up for it - and the guys will be thinking ‘we owe them one’, which we do. I don’t say it will be easy, but it will be a proper inter-pro and Ulster are a genuinely better team than Munster.
Edit: 50-49 🙄
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

flatpass wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:56 pm

I also think Ulster are a better team most of the time, but I have my doubts whether Ulster have the mental fortitude to cope with knock out rugby. I hope I’m wrong.
WestDr
Novice

Post by WestDr »

Not sure I have the mental fortitude for a Ticketb****d 'booking fee' of 9%..... another reason to wish Edinburgh all success.... you can get a ticket for that without any 'tax' (as the UR website so accurately puts it).

Btw, the 'booking fee' on season ticket renewals is less than 1%.......

I know who I blame.
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

Trevor Brennan?
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

justinr73 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:00 pm He’s not gonna thank Joey for that pass.
Daly did his ACL, unfortunately. Literally a hospital pass then.