Player Farewell 2022

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Player Farewell 2022

Post by rumncoke »

Could see a few imports from D4 in the front row and one outsider basically the IRFU want to maximise their player potential which doesn't happen if players are sitting on the bench or playing AIL league every week and Leinster are over stocked in most positions with Irish qualified .

That does not mean that all are quality replacements or that every position has equal depth but the home grown squad size enables Leinster to seek quality imports rather than stop gaps when the need arises .Whereas Ulster lack the squad size and instead of quality at times get landed with a stop gap .

And only dream about might have been if the s--t hadn't hit the fan
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Leinster should be banned from any marquee signings. They don’t need them. Ulster need 3 top class hard men NIQ’s in the pack and build around with locals and d4 b’s.
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

I think we're stronger in the front row than some seem to think. All the hype before the Sharks game was about the size and power of their front row, and we matched them in the scrum despite not having Marty Moore available. With McGrath and Kane leaving, the prop depth chart is:

Loosehead: Andy Warwick, Eric O'Sullivan, Callum Reid
Tighthead: Marty Moore, Tom O'Toole, Gareth Milasinovich

We could use some more strength in depth, but barring too many injuries, I think we'll be all right. Dan was a prop himself. I trust him on this.

I'm more concerned about hooker. Rob Herring is possibly my player of the season, but the bigger the game, the longer he'll play, because we don't have anyone else who's close to his level. Most of our last-minute defensive collapses come when Herring gets taken off. John Andrew is capable at URC level but Dan doesn't seem to trust him in the Heineken Cup or against the likes of Leinster, Declan Moore looked good but raw in his one outing against Connacht, and Tom Stewart is still getting started. We rely very heavily on Herring, and we need someone else to step up, or to bring in someone who can, so we don't wear him out.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

High hopes of Tom Stewart if he can ever stay fit. McCormick looks a good player, albeit at u20 level and Scott Wilson looks a promising prop, although still at u20 level.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

HammerTime wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:04 pm No disrespect to M’Grath himself but It was a dodgy deal by the IRFU from the get-go. Leinster knew not to waste time on him and was shipped up to us.

Literally sold a pup. .....
:shock:

And to think we've been looking for someone with a bit of dog in them for some time now, and when we finally get one, we cut him loose. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

rumncoke wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:31 am Could see a few imports from D4 in the front row and one outsider basically the IRFU want to maximise their player potential which doesn't happen if players are sitting on the bench or playing AIL league every week and Leinster are over stocked in most positions with Irish qualified .

That does not mean that all are quality replacements or that every position has equal depth but the home grown squad size enables Leinster to seek quality imports rather than stop gaps when the need arises .Whereas Ulster lack the squad size and instead of quality at times get landed with a stop gap .
I wouldn't be too confident of getting anything much from Leinster because of their rotation policy. Second string guys get more games than the top lads but the top lads get to play in the big games and don't get run into the ground. The second string are first in line for a top spot, either following injury or in the longer term and also they're all in the eye of the Ireland selectors.

BBC item here gets it right: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61591464
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

paddybrown wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:02 pm
I'm more concerned about hooker. Rob Herring is possibly my player of the season, but the bigger the game, the longer he'll play, because we don't have anyone else who's close to his level. Most of our last-minute defensive collapses come when Herring gets taken off. John Andrew is capable at URC level but Dan doesn't seem to trust him in the Heineken Cup or against the likes of Leinster, Declan Moore looked good but raw in his one outing against Connacht, and Tom Stewart is still getting started. We rely very heavily on Herring, and we need someone else to step up, or to bring in someone who can, so we don't wear him out.
Hooker has been an odd one this season. Andrew has been missing most of the season. Stewart can’t stay fit and Roberts is off to wales.

Moore was parachuted into a game did well, never to be seen again. (Albeit his darts are poor).
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:51 pm
HammerTime wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:04 pm No disrespect to M’Grath himself but It was a dodgy deal by the IRFU from the get-go. Leinster knew not to waste time on him and was shipped up to us.

And to think we've been looking for someone with a bit of dog in them for some time now, and when we finally get one, we cut him loose. :roll:
Was going to let this one slide. Had he said, "... literally sold a literal pup," - I'd have been all over it literally like a dog with a proverbial bone.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BR wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:26 am

Was going to let this one slide. Had he said, "... literally sold a literal pup," - I'd have been all over it literally like a dog with a proverbial bone.
Stop hounding the guy
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Bart S wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:26 am
BR wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:26 am

Stop hounding the guy
It wasn't me. When Grumpy starts he can be woofless.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Someone needs to get him on a tighter leash.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I'm not sure I can I never see him these days
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

This forum has gone to the.......

Oh no
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

[quote=BR
[/quote]

It wasn't me. When Grumpy starts he can be woofless.
[/quote]

Are you sure it was him or are you are barking up the wrong tree?
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

paddybrown wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:02 pm I think we're stronger in the front row than some seem to think. All the hype before the Sharks game was about the size and power of their front row, and we matched them in the scrum despite not having Marty Moore available. With McGrath and Kane leaving, the prop depth chart is:

Loosehead: Andy Warwick, Eric O'Sullivan, Callum Reid
Tighthead: Marty Moore, Tom O'Toole, Gareth Milasinovich

That's not enough though. One injury in either position and we are stuck with the other 2 having to play every game. 2 injuries in either position and we can't field a team!