Player Farewell 2022

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

DodgyEverything
Novice

Player Farewell 2022

Post by DodgyEverything »

Jack McGrath, Ross Kane, David O'Connor, Mick Kearney and Sean Reidy the confirmed leavers before next season

Long time lurker, first time poster
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Player Farewell 2022

Post by damianmcr »

Did we know McGrath was off?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

McGrath was under contract till summer 2023, but has played so few games due to injury. Ulster must have released him etc. According to the article on Ulster website, he played 24 games.

Reidy heading home to New Zealand.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

So are ulster continuing to rehab Jack in order to get him another club? Not begrudging the guy a move but has he been released from his contract?

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He says he’s a free agent.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

jean valjean wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:25 pm So are ulster continuing to rehab Jack in order to get him another club? Not begrudging the guy a move but has he been released from his contract?

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
Since joining Ulster in the summer of 2019, prop Jack McGrath has made his presence felt within the province both on and off the pitch. With 140 appearances for Leinster under his belt when he arrived in Belfast, the Dubliner went on to play as an Ulster man on 24 occasions, with injury curtailing how many times he has pulled on the white jersey recently.

McGrath, who is about to undergo further medical treatment, will continue his rehab and journey back to full fitness as a professional player in the months ahead. Of his time with Ulster, he said:

“A big thanks goes to Ulster Rugby and the coaches during my time in Belfast. My team-mates became close friends and I will always value those friendships.

“I will miss the incredible support of the Ulster fans, it’s a great feeling running out at Kingspan Stadium as a home player, and it’s a shame I can’t get the opportunity to say farewell.

“As for the future, I’m now a free agent and I have no intention of retiring. I face months of rehabbing in my battle for full fitness, but I am surrounded by a top-class team who will ensure I am in great shape to return to play. I am fully committed to becoming the first player in any sport to play at an elite level with two hip resurfacing operations.”
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Surely we are in the market for a good prop now.

We have Warwick, O'Sullivan and Reid, that is fairly threadbare.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

thecrouch wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:44 pm Surely we are in the market for a good prop now.

We have Warwick, O'Sullivan and Reid, that is fairly threadbare.
Both sides of the scrum! another season with one hand tied behind our backs.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

DodgyEverything wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:46 pm Jack McGrath, Ross Kane, David O'Connor, Mick Kearney and Sean Reidy the confirmed leavers before next season

Long time lurker, first time poster
Welcome DE. Good idea for a thread.

I wonder if Jack McGrath's hopes are any more than wishful thinking. 32 and serious injury problems, not a great investment.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

No disrespect to M’Grath himself but It was a dodgy deal by the IRFU from the get-go. Leinster knew not to waste time on him and was shipped up to us. Literally sold a pup. It’s a shame for him himself but I’m glad Ulster have been a bit ruthless here for once and pulled the plug early. I hope he gets over his injury asap and gets a nice wee earner in England or France to see out his playing days.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Of wider interest all forwards, and front 5….bar Reidy (plus already announced Brad Roberts) Whilst there is an obvious part pack squad “bolster” job on horizon, it will be interesting the path UR take with this. None were starters, there is no detriment to any UR starting pack or likely subs. :red:

Are UR looking for like for like (with them being decent viable playing options), looking to recruit top class replacements (difficult a yr out from a wc), or look to promote from within, or attract from another province?

The set up now re no league games during international window, and squad sizes likely to be effected, may mean a change of strategy for UR. UR have a real challenge going forward, whatever the solution it better be IQ to get the approval from Dublin you’d imagine.

To be fair there is already the tall 2nd row in fr coming next season (hopefully injury free).
If I was one of the pups I’d be licking my lips, as there may be opportunity to get some gametime.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Forgot to mention-all the very best to all the lads in the future. I hope they really enjoyed their time at UR, and take away great memories and friendships.

I also wish Jack the very best of luck with his recovery Id like to think he’ll get support within the pro game with that. Playing on 1 hip at all is testimony to him.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

It's hard to see how we can avoid signing someone.

We are 1 injury away from the same 2 props having to play every single game.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Dharper wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:13 am Of wider interest all forwards, and front 5….bar Reidy (plus already announced Brad Roberts) Whilst there is an obvious part pack squad “bolster” job on horizon, it will be interesting the path UR take with this. None were starters, there is no detriment to any UR starting pack or likely subs. :red:

Are UR looking for like for like (with them being decent viable playing options), looking to recruit top class replacements (difficult a yr out from a wc), or look to promote from within, or attract from another province?
I'd be amazed and frankly disappointed if there isn't some recruitment to follow. We urgently need a TH if nothing else. We could also do with a loosehead and hooker (which is bizarre considering that last year we had about half a dozen of them). Do we have a spare NIQ spot?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

We will if we can find a way of offloading Carter.
It would be the only offload he would be involved in.