Ulster v Munster Friday June 3 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 2 / TG4 / URC TV / Supersport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Ulster v Munster Friday June 3 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 2 / TG4 / URC TV / Supersport

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:00 am I’m reliably informed that there’s a lady on Bakebook asking why the French national anthem was being sung last night.
It was on a loop.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dharper
Steward

Re: Ulster v Munster Friday June 3 7:35pm KO Premier Sports 2 / TG4 / URC TV / Supersport

Post by Dharper »

Some general thoughts in no particular order:

Munster:
As leapt upon by pundits, mentally they weren’t at the races. The disconnect between Murray passes and his targets were off, whether appearing too early or late for his runners - I can’t remember it that bad, that obvious or that repetitive it was like they hadn’t played together before.

The discipline was really poor, silly penalties, that relieved pressure on UR and gave easy territory away.

Bearing in mind the forwards won them the game last time, and their 6/2 split last night they really lacked intensity apart from a short period around Kleyns try. This is even more perplexing with POM around.

Their d was porous: last game they were pretty rock solid aggressive and good line speed. Last night SMcC was causing issues winning us the gainline time and again.

I don’t think they got much from peyper to be fair, but they didn’t turn up at all. Special mention to earls - he may be 35, but still a serious operator. I can only put the no show down to something behind the scenes. They missed beirne big time.

Ulster:

The pack should take big plaudits, they were blown off the park last game, they were superb last night. Scrum was decent, lineout was okay-last time it was decimated, breakdown was combative where last time Munster had a field day.

Hendo was awesome, did all the dirty work, and that chase back was superb from a leader. DV did all the tidy work, Timoney was playing like a man wanting to make a big statement. TOT put in a big shift.

Now the sexy stuff:

Cooney recently said on a podcast that the nadolo injury was a bad one, and Really effected him. It wasn’t a perfect performance but bearing in mind both Casey & Murray will be involved with ire, he played both them off the park. Cracking chase back to stop Haley.

BB was tidy, and his use of SMcC as a decoy runner was effective.

SMcC: frankly he broke the gainline pretty much at will against 2 big centres, but also showed nice hands. When Hume plays well, it’s generally because SMcC is causing havoc inside him.

Hume: last night was a really mature performance. The quick pen for cooneys try, good miss passes off his left hand, super step as always, and the customary line breaks. I really like his attitude-he’s ambitious, confident and won’t be bending the knee for anyone- he wants that ire shirt.

Balacoune was outrageous when involved. The super 2 on 1 d read
Huge tackle, but importantly straight on his feet to win the turnover absolutely superb. The real different level speed he has against everyone. For Moore’s try when Balacoune gets the pass he hits a top gear munsters d can’t scramble against. Balacoune then shows real intelligence: slows down, sucks in defenders, sets himself,then gives that great pass, and tracks the attack. He’s a big man, and seems to get over the gainline in contact. UR need to utilise him more, but he could be a top international winger without a doubt.

Moore reminds me of Olding, v tidy player, and him drifting in from 15 with good hands does cause defences issues, and he has a nack of scoring.

Mcilroy did v well for Moore’s try, he has a nice step, and offload his development will be interesting to follow.

Overall? I think as a group last night was a marker- last Munster match they were crap, and Munster bullied them, last night they put the record straight.

Also in front of the Irish coaches several players made a big point.

Timoney should be next 7 off the rank for ire. Hume showed the distribution skills Ringrose doesn’t (way too selfish) Balacoune has developed and surely needs gametime investment - if ire want more ballers wide he has shown he has hands and vision.

Honorary mentions Cooney & SMcC, may not reflect in caps or squad places but both frankly played their oppos off the park.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:30 am
StandUp wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:12 am Watching the build up to the match. Andy Trimble is the funniest pundit of the lot. Standing in the car park among the fans he says “It’s great to see so many Munster fans have travelled up here to celebrate the jubilee”. :lol: :lol:
Trimbie was always the funniest, and most candid and honest, at the meet the players events
Wouldn't surprise me if BOD and Bono turned up on the balcony mind :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

To be fair Wally was laughing at that one, he’s a knowledgeable pundit I like him, balanced and fair.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dharper wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:08 pm To be fair Wally was laughing at that one, he’s a knowledgeable pundit I like him, balanced and fair.
Yeah Wally was a fantastic player and a balanced pundit indeed.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I have said it before but will repeat it Mcilroy for me is an enigma has all the skills -- but lacks a bit of pace ( over distance ) and self belief -- which in the long term means as a wing he won't score the number of tries he should do .

Similiarly he faces a serious challenge for his place -- Stockdale . Little , Sexton and Moxham the latter three lack his skills but I would expect them to score when McIlroy would fail.

The most underrated player for me at the moment is Moore -- he has the ability to provide a little magic in attack -- but he requires to try and bulk a little and work on his defence --he would struggle at the moment against most French centres .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:45 pm I have said it before but will repeat it Mcilroy for me is an enigma has all the skills -- but lacks a bit of pace ( over distance ) and self belief -- which in the long term means as a wing he won't score the number of tries he should do .

Similiarly he faces a serious challenge for his place -- Stockdale . Little , Sexton and Moxham the latter three lack his skills but I would expect them to score when McIlroy would fail.

The most underrated player for me at the moment is Moore -- he has the ability to provide a little magic in attack -- but he requires to try and bulk a little and work on his defence --he would struggle at the moment against most French centres .
Have to agree with your assessment on McIlroy Rum, I would add though that he is excellent in defence. He cetainly saves as many as he may miss out on with top end pace. I've seen plenty of wingers look great in attack but cannot defend for toffee. He reminds me of Louis Ludik I wouldn't be overly concerned about his pace over distance, not too often the situation occurs nowadays. His double step then offload for Moores 1st try was world class. As was his take of a cross field kick against Toulouse to score.

Very much like Moore also, he'll get better with game time, I wonder will full back be his long term position, Postlewaithe coming through is going to be a player of a generation, the centre with Hume already there will be very competitive over the next decade.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Congrats to Ulster.
But as a neutral I have to say that was one of the most inept performances Munster have ever played. They gave the impression they could not give a toss about the URC and were worried about having to fly to SA next week.

How Conor Murray holds down a central contract defies me. Utterly arthritic in the first half. A junior club team would have had less knock ons. Ulster did all rhat was asked but impossible to judge

Enjoy the semi.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dublin4 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:25 pm Congrats to Ulster.
But as a neutral I have to say that was one of the most inept performances Munster have ever played. They gave the impression they could not give a toss about the URC and were worried about having to fly to SA next week.

How Conor Murray holds down a central contract defies me. Utterly arthritic in the first half. A junior club team would have had less knock ons. Ulster did all rhat was asked but impossible to judge

Enjoy the semi.
No credit to Ulster for being so clinical in attack? By going up points and leaving Munster to chase the game against scoreboard pressure in a knockout situation went a long way to Munsters inept performance as they forced play.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Lots of credit to Ulster and they were as clinical as they needed to be.
My point is that your opposition were shockingly bad. Almost sub professional for what was supposed to be a major season defining game
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Dublin4 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:41 pm Lots of credit to Ulster and they were as clinical as they needed to be.
My point is that your opposition were shockingly bad. Almost sub professional for what was supposed to be a major season defining game
Fair points. They were poor ar the Aviva and at Ravenhill.

It's a shame that Ulster's worst performance of the season was against them in the league on the back of the Toulouse defeat. Cost us a home semi.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:19 pm
Have to agree with your assessment on McIlroy Rum, I would add though that he is excellent in defence. He cetainly saves as many as he may miss out on with top end pace. I've seen plenty of wingers look great in attack but cannot defend for toffee. He reminds me of Louis Ludik I wouldn't be overly concerned about his pace over distance, not too often the situation occurs nowadays. His double step then offload for Moores 1st try was world class. As was his take of a cross field kick against Toulouse to score.

Very much like Moore also, he'll get better with game time, I wonder will full back be his long term position, Postlewaithe coming through is going to be a player of a generation, the centre with Hume already there will be very competitive over the next decade.
To be McIlroy lacks a bit of pace which will prevent him being a 50+ cap international but will be a stalwart for Ulster. Solid defensively and has great skills, arguably the most skillful of any of our back three players bar Lowry

Moore could be a good 15 but the question is then where does Lowry fit in?

In time I would love to see Doak, Lowry, McIlroy, Hume, Postlewaithe, Balacoune, Moore

Funny how Jacob is the forgotten man, almost as if his 2018 season was a freak ceiling and he’s maybe not as good as touted :duck:
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

If Munster were unprofessional then Glasgow have reduced the URC to a farce. Packed their bags after 10 minutes.
Not good for anyone.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Dublin4 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:53 pm If Munster were unprofessional then Glasgow have reduced the URC to a farce. Packed their bags after 10 minutes.
Not good for anyone.
Not great prep for next week but unlikely to matter.
Big Neville Southall
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Shambolic by weegies. Bulls weren’t outstanding so Leinster should be straight through to the final.