Nursing a semi

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Nursing a semi

Post by jean valjean »

The one thing I've noticed about the SA sides is that they have the power and pace but not good control or game management. For an experienced test nation I expected a bit more from their sides in terms of tactics and nous. The forwards are all bluster and emotion which will only get you so far. I expect leinster to win by 20+ points by being super efficient and recycling the ball the death. Ulster are showing signs of knowing what to do at the right times and I'd fancy us to edge the stormers if it comes down to the top 3 inches.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dharper wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:49 pm quote=Dharper post_id=714774 time=1654627708 user_id=4940]
UR have to play with maturity, and impose their gameplan. We were opened up by 2 tries within 10 mins last time playing headless rugby against a back 3 scoring tries for fun. Once we switched on, we were the better side albeit a hybrid one.

The addition of IH, and Timoney in the pack should increase the firepower upfront. TOT is starting to solidify in the tight, and should cover for Marty who is a big miss (get well soon, brilliant player for UR).

If we go with the same back 3 v Munster it is an upgrade on the stormers match.

Couple of points of interest:

The breakdown was a complete farce last time with the weak ref, and their backrow constantly off their feet unpenalised and getting illegal penalty turnovers. Hopefully with a northern hemisphere ref & tmo, we will get a fairer contest, plus you throw in IH & timoney meaning more breakdown firepower.

My concern is travel fatigue, and heat/injury hangovers from Munster. Toe to toe Id back us v stormers.

As an aside what’s the score with Luke Marshall? thought he was super in SA, hopefully no reinjury and he’s good to go - looked like he was never away. Time for this group of players to show they are mentally tough enough to back performances up. What is very very noticeable is D McF is STILL spewing over the stormers result and publicly stating we owe them one. Big & rare opportunity to turn over a saffer side in their own back yard - big eyes watching that I’d say in ire coaching camp.
[/quote]

BT podcast indicated that Luke had suffered some kind of related injury but will apparently/hopefully be fit for next season.

Undoubted warrior that he is, would his hands be more of a worry than his legs?
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Dharper wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:49 pm

Couple of points of interest:

The breakdown was a complete farce last time with the weak ref, and their backrow constantly off their feet unpenalised and getting illegal penalty turnovers. Hopefully with a northern hemisphere ref & tmo, we will get a fairer contest, plus you throw in IH & timoney meaning more breakdown firepower.
That's a really good point Dh. I was screaming at the TV in the last game, the amount of times they just dived over the ruck onto the wrong side then followed it up with a few forwards pretending to have won a counter ruck. It really needed a strong voice from the captain or one of the forwards to point out to the ref that it was actually illegal. Hopefully Hendy will be that voice if needed.
Dharper wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:49 pm
My concern is travel fatigue, and heat/injury hangovers from Munster. Toe to toe Id back us v stormers.
I think they'll be ok from a travel perspective. Since it's the same time zone, the journey isn't a huge deal worse than a coach to Limerick. Heat should likewise not be a massive issue - they are in early winter now so whilst it will be warm, it'll not be a huge adjustment.

Bookies have Stormers narrow (1.5pt) favourites which is as close to a coin toss as you'll get.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Coach to Limerick :lol: It took them a day and a half to get there including 3 flights.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

HammerTime wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:10 pm Coach to Limerick :lol: It took them a day and a half to get there including 3 flights.
How many teams of horses did you need?
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

HammerTime wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:10 pm Coach to Limerick :lol: It took them a day and a half to get there including 3 flights.
Jeez that is worse than I was expecting. When Mrs verres and I did it we were out of Dublin at 5pm, Out of Heathrow at 9pm and in CPT at 7am I think. We were on a vineyard tour before lunchtime. I was going to slag off Ulster's travel team for getting such cheapo flights, but in fairness to them, they've only had a matter of days to find availability so i suppose they were stuck trying to get there by any means necessary.

A day and a half of flights probably isn't a fair comparison with a coach to limerick. Having said that given the choice I'd take the long flight to capetown over the short coach to limerick 10 times out of 10!

Did they announce the squad who travelled?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Stage coach to Limerick would take 3 days. Plus they would steal your 'hossess' when you got there.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

For the knockout stages, You’d think the league or union would subsidise a charter direct from the away teams location to SA considering the travel back for a potential final. Not really fair is it.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Big rush for tickets for the Kingspan Watch party on Saturday?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Good old Ticket master charging £1 fee for a £5 ticket!!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Bobbievee wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:16 am Good old Ticket master charging £1 fee for a £5 ticket!!
You'd have thought free in with the bars open would have been the way to go? They're giving a free pint away anyway so tkt b@stard are the only winners here :banghead: :scratch:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dave wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:00 am Stage coach to Limerick would take 3 days. Plus they would steal your 'hossess' when you got there.
Close. They would steal your stagecoach and eat your horses.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

StandUp wrote:
Dave wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:00 am Stage coach to Limerick would take 3 days. Plus they would steal your 'hossess' when you got there.
Close. They would steal your stagecoach and eat your horses.
They will eat the stage coach too, tbf.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Eat you and the stage coach and look after the hosses with great care
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Sex slaves? :lol: