Stormers v Ulster Saturday June 11 2pm UK Time Premier Sports / RTE / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: Stormers v Ulster Saturday June 11 2pm UK Time Premier Sports / RTE / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by Setanta »

Spot on!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Stormers v Ulster Saturday June 11 2pm UK Time Premier Sports / RTE / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by StandUp »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:52 pm
StandUp wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:48 pm
richardt84 wrote:Some more context on performances during the last 20 minutes on this thread on Twitter…

https://twitter.com/samlstandsup/status ... CVwWr5rDZQ
1. Bench not trusted
2. Bench not being used because they aren’t good enough and starting 15 knackered leading to tries.
3. Bench comes on and tries conceded.
4. We defend leads?
Surely this is bad coaching/management.
If the bench isn’t good enough or trusted then why are they on the payroll? Get them out the door and give the academy lads a run. It’ll be the same result anyway. No point people getting a decent wage if they aren’t earning it.
Something needs to change or the same sh1te will happen again and again.
I have to disagree .

Absentees through injury and returning from injury- McGrath,Moore, Roberts, Stewart, Izzy, Jordi, Addison, stockdale, Marshall, Lowry, Gilroy, Lyttle. Not even mentioning our NIQ Carter or what has happened with Reidy.

Yesterday we had this Bench
John Andrew(average)Eric O’Sullivan (average) Gareth Milasinovich (poor), Kieran Treadwell(penalty machine in close games), Matty Rea, (laughable) Nathan Doak(should of been on) Ian Madigan(best days well well behind him), Ben Moxham (will end up in Jersey or Ealing)

If there were no injuries our bench would be very different.
TOT, Stewart ,Warwick, Treadwell(Carter,Izzy),Jordi (Reidy), Doak,Lowry (Marshall), Stockdale (Addison/McIlroy,Gilroy)

Team for next year

1. AW EOS CR
2. RH TS JA DM
3. MM JTA TOT GM
45. IH AOC KT CI SC
678. NT MR MR DV DMC JM GJ SR
9. JC ND DS
10. BB IM JF
12/13 SMC JH LM SM JP AC
11/14 BM CG RB RL EMC JS
15 ML WA

If we can sign SK and a quality 2nd row after WC then Ulster are not far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get your point but if we have a similar level of injuries next year or the year after, which is entirely possible, then we are in the same situation.
I don’t understand the reasoning for keeping people on the payroll who clearly shouldn’t be there. Give some of the young lads some experience. How Matty Rea is on the bench in front of McCann is unfathomable. Why was Burns limping around for 20 or 30 minutes instead of bringing Mads on?
We have seen numerous poor decisions over the last few years re. replacements and no sign of this problem being addressed.
We desperately need a LH like SK and another 2nd row as you say, but we should be making a point of clearing out dead wood and sending a message that passengers will not be tolerated.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

StandUp wrote:
StandUp wrote:
richardt84 wrote:Some more context on performances during the last 20 minutes on this thread on Twitter…

1. Bench not trusted
2. Bench not being used because they aren’t good enough and starting 15 knackered leading to tries.
4. We defend leads?
If the bench isn’t good enough or trusted then why are they on the payroll? Get them out the door and give the academy lads a run. It’ll be the same result anyway. No point people getting a decent wage if they aren’t earning it.
I have to disagree .

Absentees through injury and returning from injury- McGrath,Moore, Roberts, Stewart, Izzy, Jordi, Addison, stockdale, Marshall, Lowry, Gilroy, Lyttle. Not even mentioning our NIQ Carter or what has happened with Reidy.

John Andrew(average)Eric O’Sullivan (average) Gareth Milasinovich (poor), Kieran Treadwell(penalty machine in close games), Matty Rea, (laughable) Nathan Doak(should of been on) Ian Madigan(best days well well behind him), Ben Moxham (will end up in Jersey or Ealing)

TOT, Stewart ,Warwick, Treadwell(Carter,Izzy),Jordi (Reidy), Doak,Lowry (Marshall), Stockdale (Addison/McIlroy,Gilroy)

Team for next year

1. AW EOS CR
2. RH TS JA DM
3. MM JTA TOT GM
45. IH AOC KT CI SC
9. JC ND DS
10. BB IM JF
12/13 SMC JH LM SM JP AC
11/14 BM CG RB RL EMC JS
15 ML WA

I get your point but if we have a similar level of injuries next year or the year after, which is entirely possible, then we are in the same situation.
I don’t understand the reasoning for keeping people on the payroll who clearly shouldn’t be there. Give some of the young lads some experience. How Matty Rea is on the bench in front of McCann is unfathomable. Why was Burns limping around for 20 or 30 minutes instead of bringing Mads on?
We have seen numerous poor decisions over the last few years re. replacements and no sign of this problem being addressed.
We desperately need a LH like SK and another 2nd row as you say, but we should be making a point of clearing out dead wood and sending a message that passengers will not be tolerated.
Getting rid of the dead wood isn’t easy on a budget.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

StandUp wrote:

1. Bench not trusted
4. We defend leads?
I have to disagree .

Team for next year

1. AW EOS CR
2. RH TS JA DM
3. MM JTA TOT GM
45. IH AOC KT CI SC
9. JC ND DS
10. BB IM JF
12/13 SMC JH LM SM JP AC
11/14 BM CG RB RL EMC JS
15 ML WA

Reading through that:
-Will Callum Reid upseat Eric O'Sullivan as 2nd choice loosehead?
-Tom O'Toole I imagine is going to be a bit drunk off being 3rd choice for Ulster given he has been in Ireland camps.
-Do think Treadwell is a bit of a penalty machine, any chance Izzy overtakes him or is it too early in his career?
-McCann I hope will be our 4th choice back row next year.
-Out half Burns is OK but remain to be convinced he is good enough, will Lowry stay at FB?
-With McCloskey, Marshall, Hume, Postlewaite, I wonder will Moore have more opportunities at full back.
-In the forwards after Stewart, McCann, Reid, are there any other young forwards coming through with really good potential?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

I'd of given Mick Kearney a contract ahead of Sam Carter and I'm not winding.
To say Eric O'Sullivan is average is unfair, he was in the Pro14 Dream Team 20/21 and made his Ireland debut that season, there's a good player there, just needs to find his form again.

General consensus is our starting 15 is good enough, if that's the case then Murphy and Dooley both joining Connacht are a miss because they'd definately make our matchday 23 or Jack Dunne joining Exeter. JJ Hanrahan joining Dragons is a step up from an aging Madigan.

It'll be interesting to see how big an impact Reffell, Bradshaw-Ryan or Toomaga-Allen can make to our pack. With Tom Stewart, Callum Reid, Cormac Izuchukwu and Dave McCann to step up from the exisiting emerging contingent. You've the guts of an entire pack there.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

UlsterNo9 wrote:I'd of given Mick Kearney a contract ahead of Sam Carter and I'm not winding.
To say Eric O'Sullivan is average is unfair, he was in the Pro14 Dream Team 20/21 and made his Ireland debut that season, there's a good player there, just needs to find his form again.

General consensus is our starting 15 is good enough, if that's the case then Murphy and Dooley both joining Connacht are a miss because they'd definately make our matchday 23 or Jack Dunne joining Exeter. JJ Hanrahan joining Dragons is a step up from an aging Madigan.

It'll be interesting to see how big an impact Reffell, Bradshaw-Ryan or Toomaga-Allen can make to our pack. With Tom Stewart, Callum Reid, Cormac Izuchukwu and Dave McCann to step up from the exisiting emerging contingent. You've the guts of an entire pack there.
Ross Bryne made URC team of the year Image. So bad that every single one of the provinces weren’t interested in him coming to them. Leinster gave him a cut price contract.

EOS is an average URC loosehead IMO. If Ulster have plans of winning the URC or H cup then pretty much the whole tight 5(bar Hendy) needs improving/strengthened.

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

I agree re. Kearney.
As for the squad in general, we need someone who can instill a killer instinct without becoming headless chickens.
As for the last 20 min capitulations, it needs to be determined whether it’s:
1. A stamina issue- if so the S+C team need a boot in the hole.
2. A tactics issue - are they burning themselves out in the first 50-60 mins?
3. Is this a squad of mental midgets - Do they need more time with sports psychologists?
4. The replacements or lack thereof.
5. All of the above and perhaps more I’ve missed.
This has been going on for far too long and every year we say next season will be better and then we get similar outcomes.
Petrie should commission a root and branch (no pun intended) review of the organisation to identify processes and personnel that are weak and a plan of improvement implemented. Otherwise, this time next year we will be saying that was a reasonable season and Ulster were very plucky etc. etc. and next year when we get Kitshoff and whoever, things will be better.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

StandUp wrote:I agree re. Kearney.
As for the squad in general, we need someone who can instill a killer instinct without becoming headless chickens.
3. Is this a squad of mental midgets - Do they need more time with sports psychologists?
This has been going on for far too long and every year we say next season will be better and then we get similar outcomes.
Petrie should commission a root and branch (no pun intended) review of the organisation to identify processes and personnel that are weak and a plan of improvement implemented. Otherwise, this time next year we will be saying that was a reasonable season and Ulster were very plucky etc. etc. and next year when we get Kitshoff and whoever, things will be better.
Petrie might not like what a review has to say.

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:05 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:I'd of given Mick Kearney a contract ahead of Sam Carter and I'm not winding.

Ross Bryne made URC team of the year Image. So bad that every single one of the provinces weren’t interested in him coming to them. Leinster gave him a cut price contract.

EOS is an average URC loosehead IMO. If Ulster have plans of winning the URC or H cup then pretty much the whole tight 5(bar Hendy) needs improving/strengthened.

At the minute, I agree re. EOS. His rise to his current level was very fast, which gave us all hope he was going to be a cracker, then he reached his ceiling and stalled. I don’t envisage much improvement from here but will be happy to be proved wrong.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:21 pm
StandUp wrote:I agree re. Kearney.
Petrie might not like what a review has to say.

If Petrie is part of the problem (if that is what you mean) then he should have the integrity to either accept the findings of the review and improve, or f¥ck off and get a new job.
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

At the minute, I agree re. EOS. His rise to his current level was very fast, which gave us all hope he was going to be a cracker, then he reached his ceiling and stalled. I don’t envisage much improvement from here but will be happy to be proved wrong.
You have watched the rise of Warwick this season? he hit his ceiling a season or so ago and look where he is now?

EOS will turn a corner again
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Stormers v Ulster Saturday June 11 2pm UK Time Premier Sports / RTE / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by kingofthehill »

launish116 wrote:
You have watched the rise of Warwick this season? he hit his ceiling a season or so ago and look where he is now?

EOS will turn a corner again
Warwick and EOS are decent enough players but if you want to be winning things they won’t be starting.

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Agreed. Warwick has been very good this season but isn’t the answer.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

StandUp wrote:

1. Bench not trusted
4. We defend leads?
I have to disagree .

Team for next year

1. AW EOS CR
2. RH TS JA DM
3. MM JTA TOT GM
45. IH AOC KT CI SC
9. JC ND DS
10. BB IM JF
12/13 SMC JH LM SM JP AC
11/14 BM CG RB RL EMC JS
15 ML WA

Who or what is SK?

Ulster should be looking to SA for a 2nd row. Nortje took the Ulster and Leinster lineout to the cleaners. In many countries he'd be a starting lock, but given the frightening depth SA have there, he just makes the extended squad after injuries to the likes of Snyman.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Big-al wrote:
StandUp wrote:

1. Bench not trusted
4. We defend leads?
I have to disagree .

Team for next year

1. AW EOS CR
2. RH TS JA DM
3. MM JTA TOT GM
45. IH AOC KT CI SC
9. JC ND DS
10. BB IM JF
12/13 SMC JH LM SM JP AC
11/14 BM CG RB RL EMC JS
15 ML WA

Who or what is SK?

Ulster should be looking to SA for a 2nd row. Nortje took the Ulster and Leinster lineout to the cleaners. In many countries he'd be a starting lock, but given the frightening depth SA have there, he just makes the extended squad after injuries to the likes of Snyman.
Steven Kitshoff