Stormers v Ulster Saturday June 11 2pm UK Time Premier Sports / RTE / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Stormers v Ulster Saturday June 11 2pm UK Time Premier Sports / RTE / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by Big-al »

StandUp wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:39 pm Agreed. Warwick has been very good this season but isn’t the answer.
He should be used to inspire the next generation of Ulster forwards, his professionalism and attitude his top class and he is a key member of the Ulster 23. Clear first choice this season for me.

The biggest problem Ulster have in the last quarter of the match is replacement forwards. Top sides that Ulster have played against this season (Stormers, Munster, Toulouse) have opted for 6 forward replacements, many of whom come on between 55mins and 70minutes and are as good as the players they are replacing.

Ulsters forwards (outside of Moore vs Tom O'Toole) have to play 70/75minutes. Can't be easy scrummaging against or tackling fresh players, wave after wave.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Stormers v Ulster Saturday June 11 2pm UK Time Premier Sports / RTE / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by UlsterNo9 »

1 Callum Reid
2 Tom Stewart
3 Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen
4 Cormac Izuchukwu
5 Frank Bradshaw Ryan
7 Sean Reffell
8 David McCann

Hopefully some of the answers will be found in that pack with a mix of the emerging and the new.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

kingofthehill wrote:
Big-al wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:52 pm
StandUp wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:48 pm 1. Bench not trusted
2. Bench not being used because they aren’t good enough and starting 15 knackered leading to tries.
3. Bench comes on and tries conceded.
4. We defend leads?
Surely this is bad coaching/management.
If the bench isn’t good enough or trusted then why are they on the payroll? Get them out the door and give the academy lads a run. It’ll be the same result anyway. No point people getting a decent wage if they aren’t earning it.
Something needs to change or the same sh1te will happen again and again.
I have to disagree .

Absentees through injury and returning from injury- McGrath,Moore, Roberts, Stewart, Izzy, Jordi, Addison, stockdale, Marshall, Lowry, Gilroy, Lyttle. Not even mentioning our NIQ Carter or what has happened with Reidy.

Yesterday we had this Bench
John Andrew(average)Eric O’Sullivan (average) Gareth Milasinovich (poor), Kieran Treadwell(penalty machine in close games), Matty Rea, (laughable) Nathan Doak(should of been on) Ian Madigan(best days well well behind him), Ben Moxham (will end up in Jersey or Ealing)

If there were no injuries our bench would be very different.
TOT, Stewart ,Warwick, Treadwell(Carter,Izzy),Jordi (Reidy), Doak,Lowry (Marshall), Stockdale (Addison/McIlroy,Gilroy)

Team for next year

1. AW EOS CR
2. RH TS JA DM
3. MM JTA TOT GM
45. IH AOC KT CI SC
678. NT MR MR DV DMC JM GJ SR
9. JC ND DS
10. BB IM JF
12/13 SMC JH LM SM JP AC
11/14 BM CG RB RL EMC JS
15 ML WA

If we can sign SK and a quality 2nd row after WC then Ulster are not far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who or what is SK?

Ulster should be looking to SA for a 2nd row. Nortje took the Ulster and Leinster lineout to the cleaners. In many countries he'd be a starting lock, but given the frightening depth SA have there, he just makes the extended squad after injuries to the likes of Snyman.
Steven Kitshoff

Is SK really going to make the difference? Maybe I'm missing something but I dont recall him ever dismantling his opposite number. TOT held him fairly comfortably the entire game yesterday. Yes he'd be better than what we have, but if we are spending big money I'd prefer a 2nd row or back row who can influence the game much more.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

jean valjean wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Big-al wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:52 pm
StandUp wrote: Surely this is bad coaching/management.
If the bench isn’t good enough or trusted then why are they on the payroll? Get them out the door and give the academy lads a run. It’ll be the same result anyway. No point people getting a decent wage if they aren’t earning it.
Something needs to change or the same sh1te will happen again and again.
I have to disagree .

Absentees through injury and returning from injury- McGrath,Moore, Roberts, Stewart, Izzy, Jordi, Addison, stockdale, Marshall, Lowry, Gilroy, Lyttle. Not even mentioning our NIQ Carter or what has happened with Reidy.

Yesterday we had this Bench
John Andrew(average)Eric O’Sullivan (average) Gareth Milasinovich (poor), Kieran Treadwell(penalty machine in close games), Matty Rea, (laughable) Nathan Doak(should of been on) Ian Madigan(best days well well behind him), Ben Moxham (will end up in Jersey or Ealing)

If there were no injuries our bench would be very different.
TOT, Stewart ,Warwick, Treadwell(Carter,Izzy),Jordi (Reidy), Doak,Lowry (Marshall), Stockdale (Addison/McIlroy,Gilroy)

Team for next year

1. AW EOS CR
2. RH TS JA DM
3. MM JTA TOT GM
45. IH AOC KT CI SC
678. NT MR MR DV DMC JM GJ SR
9. JC ND DS
10. BB IM JF
12/13 SMC JH LM SM JP AC
11/14 BM CG RB RL EMC JS
15 ML WA

If we can sign SK and a quality 2nd row after WC then Ulster are not far away.

Who or what is SK?

Ulster should be looking to SA for a 2nd row. Nortje took the Ulster and Leinster lineout to the cleaners. In many countries he'd be a starting lock, but given the frightening depth SA have there, he just makes the extended squad after injuries to the likes of Snyman.
Steven Kitshoff

Is SK really going to make the difference? Maybe I'm missing something but I dont recall him ever dismantling his opposite number. TOT held him fairly comfortably the entire game yesterday. Yes he'd be better than what we have, but if we are spending big money I'd prefer a 2nd row or back row who can influence the game much more.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
AW has done rightly in the scrum but does he get gainline or turnovers?

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Warwick is playing really well for a Warwick. He can scrum really well not much else. Kitshoff won a jackal penalty early on, Warwick couldn't shift him. Stormers scored from the lineout/maul from that penalty. They are the margins. Kitshoff cam do it all, scrum/carry/turnover. I'd swap my right nutsack for him.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:21 pm Warwick is playing really well for a Warwick. He can scrum really well not much else. Kitshoff won a jackal penalty early on, Warwick couldn't shift him. Stormers scored from the lineout/maul from that penalty. They are the margins. Kitshoff cam do it all, scrum/carry/turnover. I'd swap my right nutsack for him.
Would be a bit awkward carrying Kitshoff about between your legs.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:21 pm Warwick is playing really well for a Warwick. He can scrum really well not much else. Kitshoff won a jackal penalty early on, Warwick couldn't shift him. Stormers scored from the lineout/maul from that penalty. They are the margins. Kitshoff cam do it all, scrum/carry/turnover. I'd swap my right nutsack for him.
Would be a bit awkward carrying Kitshoff about between your legs.
More awkward for him, probably.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Right nutsack??

You're got a wrong one?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Damn it. Should have swapped the wrong one.
Tap+Go
Novice

Post by Tap+Go »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:37 pm 1 Callum Reid
2 Tom Stewart
3 Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen
4 Cormac Izuchukwu
5 Frank Bradshaw Ryan
7 Sean Reffell
8 David McCann

Hopefully some of the answers will be found in that pack with a mix of the emerging and the new.
Gap in the back row is telling. Big drop off from Marcus, Duane & Nick. We’re in need of some real dynamism & hardness. Looks like some potentially may come through the academy eventually with Crothers, Sheridan, McLaughlin & McNabney but as shown with McCann they are likely to take time. Even some of the Leinster 2nds or 3rds - a Deegan, Penney or Ruddock would add to the squad.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

There comes a time in a game when you have options that may win the match for you -- and it is at that point the decisions should cease to be by one person but by a group .

On saturday the options came down to go for 3 or the corner -- and Ulster went for the corner -- when Ulster had a 5 point lead -- In my opinion -- that is when you try for 3 -- an 8 point lead is a two score lead -- 5 points is leaves you sweating out the last 15 minutes because the any penalty to the opposition will be into the corner -- with the referee concentrating on watching the defending side anything more than two penalties later and it can be yellow card time .

Sometimes you have to look at the score to assess the best option .rather than thinking 7 is better than 3 or field position is better than 3 .

Going for the 7 points can also be exhausting while taking the 3 takes time out of the game and allows the forwards to recharge which can be essential if the bench is weak.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

There comes a time in a game when you have options that may win the match for you -- and it is at that point the decisions should cease to be by one person but by a group .

On saturday the options came down to go for 3 or the corner -- and Ulster went for the corner -- when Ulster had a 5 point lead -- In my opinion -- that is when you try for 3 -- an 8 point lead is a two score lead -- 5 points is leaves you sweating out the last 15 minutes because the any penalty to the opposition will be into the corner -- with the referee concentrating on watching the defending side anything more than two penalties later and it can be yellow card time .

Sometimes you have to look at the score to assess the best option .rather than thinking 7 is better than 3 or field position is better than 3 .

Going for the 7 points can also be exhausting while taking the 3 takes time out of the game and allows the forwards to recharge which can be essential if the bench is weak.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Rumn
correct on all fronts. Every time.
But genuine question. When and where was this specific penalty of which you speak? I must have missed it
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

What would NZ do.?
Always take the points and make it a2 / 3 score game - that’s why they win almost every game they play
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BR wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:43 am Right nutsack??

You're got a wrong one?
BR you've been hacked by Grumps