Season highlights

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Season highlights

Post by jean valjean »

Despite today's disappointment and the post mortem underway on other threads let's have a positive one highlighting your favourite moments to counteract the doom and gloom. Mine has been the undoubted growth of some young players who can be the fulcrum of ulster for the next 7-8 years. The away wins at Clermont, Northampton and toulouse were all great watches and the dismantling of a loaded munster side showed the potential is there.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Season highlights

Post by justinr73 »

Wins at Saints and Toulouse were good but beating Leinster was sweet.

Speaking in general, it’s a pleasure to watch our lads, week in and week out.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Beating Leinster twice, definitely.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Seeing the UAFC perfectly spelling the players names. Oh it was so beautiful.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Hume, Lowry and Baloucoune.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

All of it!

After not being able to attend games due to the pandemic it was great to be back at Ravenhill sitting in my seat, mixing with fellow supporters, watching live rugby.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Basically we are Plucky Defeat RFC merchants once again. I think we are seeing the backs taking centre stage. Add in Stockdale and Lowry again in full fitness, we will be hard to stop and a challenge for most sides. More plucky defeats incoming. The new tighthead will make a difference too. Don't forget a tackle freak like Reffell will be very handy.

The emergence of certain players was a highlight. Marcus Rea with 20 turnovers. Excellent stuff.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:All of it!

After not being able to attend games due to the pandemic it was great to be back at Ravenhill sitting in my seat, mixing with fellow supporters, watching live rugby.
Sitting? In a seat? What is this blasphemy!? Stand up, sir. For the Ulstermen. Like the song says!!!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

We were competitive in every game home and away bar in Connacht and Bulls at altitude.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:47 pm We were competitive in every game home and away bar in Connacht and Bulls at altitude.
These were 100% the only two games we were properly beat.

I still can’t figure out what happened at the Aviva.
turko
Novice
Location: Exiled but heart remains at the cathedral on match day

Post by turko »

So many good things to remember with so many talented young lads coming through Robert Baloucoune, Mike Lowry, Nathan Doak to name a few.
But for me the highlight has been watching James Hume, what an unbelievable talent he is.
Watch this space…….
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I agree with the tenor of the positive comments. It was a pretty good season.

A lot of sport hangs on the rub of the green. This year we had a few crucial ones go against us. It won't always be like this.

Every team in the league bar Leinster and the two Saffers in the final would have given their right arms to do what we did this year. And I suspect that most teams in the English and French leagues would have been happy to have had our performance in Europe. We have high standards, and rightly so, so it's good to finish with a highlights thread, rather than beating ourselves up.
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

This was my first season as a season ticket holder, and it was a good season. I didn't go in with the expectation of winning the URC or the Heineken Cup, and while I was disappointed to go out of both competitions, we did pretty well and gave some memorable performances in both.

My pick for player of the season is Rob Herring. Absolutely immense all season. Nick Timoney, Stuart McCloskey, James Hume, Mike Lowry and Rob Baloucoune not far behind. Breakthrough players of the season: Marcus Rea, Nathan Doak and Ethan McIlroy. Most improved player: Andy Warwick.

One major improvement this season. Last season we were heavily dependent on Marcell Coetzee and John Cooney - when Coetzee left and Cooney got injured, the season fell apart. This season other players have stepped up, there are leaders all through the team, and we've been able to win big games without Cooney or Coetzee's replacement, Duane Vermeulen. I'd prefer to have both available, obviously, but we can cope if they're not.

Onwards and upwards for next season!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Biggest surprise of the season Mcilroy scoring 2 trys against Toulouse the only two he scored in 36 appearances and 1107 minutes on the pitch.

Sexton 1 try 3 appearances and 25 minutes on the pitch
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Beating Leinster unfortunately the wins were against depleted teams ----- nice---- but not nice enough
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist