Ireland ? in New Zealand

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ireland ? in New Zealand

Post by rumncoke »

Result as expected

You can’t kick long against AB teams they run the ball back at pace and unlike the NH the player doesn’t run into the cover to recycle — they run for the gap and space — their team mates know this and head for the space to take the pass with the passer then running the support line .

Two trys in the first half down this major error in approach .

Basically it played out as I expected with Frawley at out-half he kick too long and what surprised me was when Carberry came on he went to centre rather than out - half with Frawley going to 12 and Aki to 13 .

The second half was a better show because they stopped kicking long .

Hopefully Hume was extracted as a precaution Healy looked bad and if it is the knee he could be out most of next season — not a good thing for a prop to inactive too long at his age — unwelcome weight gain making it harder to get match fit — with the ever present self doubt — is it worth the effort
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:Do you actually have to be a Maori to play for the Maoris or will a couple of Ta Moko tattoos and a liking for Kia Ora suffice?
You don't have to be Irish to play for Ireland.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jean valjean wrote:
Dave wrote:Any thoughts on the game? I didn't see it.
Typical scrappy game with two thrown together sides with the one willing to have a go coming out on top ( see babas V England). Ireland were poor with casey, timoney, Coombes and aki the pick. Thought Mccarthy looked lost at times, shooting out of the line and given away offside penalties but he will be forgiven as the big 2nd row messiah. Otoole did another 80 mins so can't see him involved on sat. Hume hobbled off but it may have been a dig in the crown jewels rather than a muscle injury. Healy likely gone for the tour though.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
Thanks. Jeez hope Hume is OK.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:52 pm
big mervyn wrote:Do you actually have to be a Maori to play for the Maoris or will a couple of Ta Moko tattoos and a liking for Kia Ora suffice?
Yes. Maoris and hobbits are welcome. :thumleft:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:56 pm
Dave wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:52 pm
Yes. Maoris and hobbits are welcome. :thumleft:
Bundee Aki playing for Ireland and Shaun Stevenson playing for the Maoris. Funny old world.

No-one's answered Merv's question, how do you get to play for the Maoris?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Seen Stevenson’s middle name?

Some Māori blood more or less required but merely identifying as a Māori could give you a shot.

https://www.allblacks.com/teams/maori-all-blacks/
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:53 pm Seen Stevenson’s middle name?

Some Māori blood more or less required but merely identifying as a Māori could give you a shot.

We should have some sort of indigenous ethnic subgroup. The Gingers.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Getting harder and harder to support this Ireland/Leinster outfit.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
justinr73 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:53 pm Seen Stevenson’s middle name?

We should have some sort of indigenous ethnic subgroup. The Gingers.
They came from Viking raping and pillaging.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

New Zealand: J Barrett; S Reece, R Ioane, Q Tupaea, L Fainga'anuku; B Barrett, Smith; Bower, Taylor, Tu'ungafasi, Retallick, Whitelock; S Barrett, Kane (capt), Savea.

Replacements: Taukei'aho, Tu'inukuafe, Ta'avao, Sowakula, Papalii, Christie, Mo'unga, Ennor.

Ireland: Keenan; Earls, Ringrose, Henshaw, Lowe; Sexton (capt), Gibson-Park; Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Beirne, Ryan; O'Mahony, Van der Flier, Doris.

Replacements: Heffernan, Bealham, Healy, Treadwell, Conan, Murray, Carbery, Aki.

Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Poor team and exceptionally weak bench. Not one player on the bench would get on the Ulster team. Has any player had any more chances than Carbery. Can't play 10, can't tackle made of chocolate.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Back line as expected ( except for Earls --a covid replacement )

Can't believe Healy on the bench with Beirne in the second row the scrum will be in trouble

Defeat number two - think a margin and double it
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

As disappointing a season as it has been, Ulster have played very well over all and were millimetres from it being an exceptional season. Yet, if Dillane hadn’t moved to France Treadwell wouldn’t be on the bench and Ulster wouldn’t have a single player in the squad. What an absolute joke!!! Add to the fact that both Munster and Connaught have been dire this year. There would have been a time when I wouldn’t miss an Ireland match for the world but I couldn’t give a flying fcuk anymore.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

HammerTime wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:05 am As disappointing a season as it has been, Ulster have played very well over all and were millimetres from it being an exceptional season. Yet, if Dillane hadn’t moved to France Treadwell wouldn’t be on the bench and Ulster wouldn’t have a single player in the squad. What an absolute joke!!! Add to the fact that both Munster and Connaught have been dire this year. There would have been a time when I wouldn’t miss an Ireland match for the world but I couldn’t give a flying fcuk anymore.
Out of interest - which Ulster players do we say should be in the team?

Warwick: (amazing to say this) is hard done by not getting a late phone call to take over from Healy. He is the next best option at Loosehead
Moore: Should definitely have travelled and should have started tests when Furlong inevitably gets injured. Should have been first choice on the bench otherwise
Cooney?: we all know the score there and the other 9s all have an argument that they are there on merit (as poor as murray has been he is still good)
BB?: kicking from hand/clearing kicks have probably let him down. Could still get a phone call i suppose.
Stu: Definitely deserved a plane ticket but Henshaw is very good
Baloucoune, stockdale, Addison: would all be there but for injuries

So whilst it is disappointing not to have more Ulster players in the team, I dont think we can say that if we were in AF's shoes, we'd have picked a huge amount more from Ulster. Marty is the only really hard done by player and he might still be on his concussion holiday anyway.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Given Herring and Henderson are injured to some extent the Ulster involvement is understated and I'am not that sure Dillane is that much better than Treadwell both add bulk to the set piece and little else besides.

Yesterdays defeat was basically down to the inability to control the game ,dire kicking and a back row lacking physical presence at the ruck, and basically much as I expected . I don't think Ireland won one turnover at ruck time due to the fact that New Zealanders play beyond the ruck and unless you have forward momentum they will drive you backwards every time.

I expect more of the same on Saturday.

Sexton will lie deep making the gain line harder to achieve and adding an extra 5 yards to every chase providing space and time to any catcher .