IN memoriam.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jacothelad
Novice

IN memoriam.

Post by jacothelad »

A great friend of mine and fine rugby player went on to coach Malone after retiring. As a rugby fanatic and season ticket holder with his family at Ulster, he worked bringing rugby skills in to primary schools. He travelled all of Europe following Ulster and Ireland. He climbed Kilimanjaro with other ex-players and raised thousands for rugby charities. He carried a disabled player to the top of Slieve Donard...all 2796 feet of it. He was a true, true rugby man and the most generous of people. He used to act as a roadie for my band and would even get to sing a few songs with us. Sadly he developed cancer of the spine a few years ago and ended up in a wheelchair at the beginning of this year. Last week on Wednesday he developed Covid and sadly died this Wednesday in the Mater Hospital in Belfast. He would have been soaring above the stars today to have seen this victory. My heart is broken for him and his family. He became a grandad two weeks ago. How cruel this world can be.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: IN memoriam.

Post by StandUp »

Sorry for your loss Jaco. Our society needs more people like that.
Pedroprop
Novice

Post by Pedroprop »

Lovely post Jaco, let me add my tuppence worth. I've known him since school, he was scrummie on our 1970 cup winning team, and we had a 50 year reunion a couple of years ago. Typical of him, he produced a superb professional quality booklet with photos, media reports etc with a copy for each of us. He was in his element, life and soul of the party and a constant contributor to the whatsapp group we set up. He was inspirational in his refusal to let his illness affect his attitude to life. Great crack, and a heart of corn, we were privileged to have him as a friend.
jacothelad
Novice

Post by jacothelad »

Dickie's funeral is on Saturday at Roselawn and back to Malone afterwards.