URC Fixtures 2022/23

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: URC Fixtures 2022/23

Post by jean valjean »

Cormac wrote:
Hans Indaruck wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:39 pm Leinster still have 10 in the squad compared to our 9!!
Leinster have 11 in the squad. Smith, Osborne, Frawley, Milne, Clarkson, Deeny, McCarthy, Soroka, Culhane, Penny, Deegan.
Maybe 1 would be in their 23 man squad. Ulster could well have 5-6 missing from ours. Certainly impacts on our availability if injuries strike. Wonder if this is why madigan was given a run out at 12.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

I think that this choice has put us in a position where we can't win anything this year. Thanks IRFU
Dura lex sed lex
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Thelaw wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:27 pm I think that this choice has put us in a position where we can't win anything this year. Thanks IRFU
I don't know I'd go that far. I think the missing players will have a negative impact on us but with the players remaining you would hope we can weather the storm, with the possible exception of the Leinster game, which could cause us enormous difficulties. Earlier predictions would have had us losing EOS, TOT, Marty Moore, Big Stu, Treadwell and Timoney as well (and I bet that's what the IRFU had planned until 3 out of 4 provinces kicked up a fuss about it).

It's also worth bearing in mind that we have some decent backs coming through and this will be a baptism of fire for them that might be the making of them, so I'm not treating this as quite the end-of the world scenario it might have been. For the first time in many many years we have a decent pack with something resembling SID. The principle concern for us is scrum half. We really would need Cooney to stay fit til about halloween.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

If the worst happened and conney pulled a hamstring on sat, would ulster be allowed to hold on to one of doak / Mcdonald? If so which one? You would expect doak to be higher up the ireland ladder so would they insist on him going to SA?

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

For me the real issue is that I'd be betting on both Doak and Rob to be starting on that match, two game changers right there robbed. We do, finally, have some strength in depth. This absolutely meaningless tour will take that from us at a vital game. And once again the IRFU - I swear it stands for Irish Rugby Feck Ulster - give out big money games to Leinster and Munster. And I will bet that after the "tour" the players will have to be rested. I have seen some talk suggest that they are sacrifices to be made for the national team. Just some sacrifice more than others I guess
Dura lex sed lex
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My take would be that it is agreed that the Provinces have first call on players thus any injuries to the remaining provincial squads could see some players having to withdraw . eg an injury to Cooney could see Doak withdrawn.

It the E I squad is no longer an overview of players for 2023 RWC more a what might we have for 2027 , that said there are a about 4 players who might make the plane next year.

Both Stockdale and Baloucoune may find it hard to display the current favoured four Lowe ,Hanson, Conway and Earls, While Lowe may appear a weak link - his selection provides one player in the back three who can kick distance which is an essential asset if the game descends to "kick ball tennis " because height and distance on a kick provide time to form a defence line and or ensure a better field position.

Earls while not the player he once was still possesses the "white line X factor " beloved of Coaches.

Farrell has two problems one filling the plane for 2023 and then realising many going on the plane in 2023 won't be on the plane in 2027 and those who won't includes players currently outside the match day 23 and the current provincial squads include many who would not make the plane in 2027 .

It is not that an Emerging Ireland tour is not necessary -- although the realisation that is necessary is surprising late , but the rush to rectify the need has made the timing of the tour wrong ,
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Question - nosiness really - why is the stormers game only down for next February ?! Anyone know?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Setanta wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:04 pm Question - nosiness really - why is the stormers game only down for next February ?! Anyone know?
Only a theory re the Sharks Stormers game, but the Springboks are hosting Argentina on Saturday in Durban, so a stadium availability issue maybe?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Thanks but that is a long wait !
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Setanta wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:26 pm Thanks but that is a long wait !
6N window 1st spare space re fixtures with the South African sides in Europe.