Ulster v Connacht Saturday September 17 7.35pm UK Time Premier Sports / BBC2NI / TG4

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Connacht Saturday September 17 7.35pm UK Time Premier Sports / BBC2NI / TG4

Post by justinr73 »

Finally watched it back too Rum.

We could probably add a bit of dynamism to the carrying.

In terms of trying to find something new, we had about 6 decent lineout options in that squad and the much maligned Matty Rea put a shift in.

There’s no doubt in my mind that we have the best squad on the island.

Jonny Petrie was good at the interval too.

What does Luke Fitz add to a commentary?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Connacht Saturday September 17 7.35pm UK Time Premier Sports / BBC2NI / TG4

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:13 am Finally watched it back too Rum.

We could probably add a bit of dynamism to the carrying.

In terms of trying to find something new, we had about 6 decent lineout options in that squad and the much maligned Matty Rea put a shift in.

There’s no doubt in my mind that we have the best squad on the island.

Jonny Petrie was good at the interval too.

What does Luke Fitz add to a commentary?
Luke Fitz adds nothing to commentary, still angry that those nasty project players like Aki get in the Ireland team ahead of his Leinster mates >EW
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

rumncoke wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:44 am I watched the game again and while Ulster won and a some players enhanced their reputations one thing stood out on the second viewing Ulster frequently failed to break the gain line which made the game harder to win. Why ? because too frequently the ball was being passed to players when they were static . They started to run after they got the ball .

They still have to work out when to start the run and when to make the pass - It is hard to get the timing right to run on to the pass and to be fair to Connaught and Doak , They made it hard for Doak by going for his arms when he went to pass on many occasions .
Regarding the carrying, did you notice that Carter actually was one of the better carriers? I think he made dominant carries on 3 or 4 occasions which is about as many times as he has done that in his whole tenure here. Maybe he reads the feedback on this forum and is trying to up his game?

This thing about grabbing the SH arm seems to be very in vogue at the moment - it seems to be happening much more recently than I remember it happening in the past. For me its one of those laws that ruins the spectacle (a bit like kicking the ball in a ruck) so i wonder if it will be changed in the future.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

allezlesverres wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:43 am
rumncoke wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:44 am I watched the game again and while Ulster won and a some players enhanced their reputations one thing stood out on the second viewing Ulster frequently failed to break the gain line which made the game harder to win. Why ? because too frequently the ball was being passed to players when they were static . They started to run after they got the ball .

They still have to work out when to start the run and when to make the pass - It is hard to get the timing right to run on to the pass and to be fair to Connaught and Doak , They made it hard for Doak by going for his arms when he went to pass on many occasions .
Regarding the carrying, did you notice that Carter actually was one of the better carriers? I think he made dominant carries on 3 or 4 occasions which is about as many times as he has done that in his whole tenure here. Maybe he reads the feedback on this forum and is trying to up his game?

This thing about grabbing the SH arm seems to be very in vogue at the moment - it seems to be happening much more recently than I remember it happening in the past. For me its one of those laws that ruins the spectacle (a bit like kicking the ball in a ruck) so i wonder if it will be changed in the future.
I hate that when it happens to our SH. Don’t mind when we do it to others.😂
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Provided the player grabbing the arm comes over the top — if the arm is grabbed from the side either the player grabbing is coming in from the side or off side .

The problem becomes greater if grabbing from the side is permitted . The attacking side has to increase those committed to ruck to protect the scrum half which leads to an imbalance of more defenders than attackers in the out field and an inability to exploit any space out wide .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist