Ulster V Leinster Friday 30th Sept

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Ulster V Leinster Friday 30th Sept

Post by kingofthehill »

Dharper wrote:So a few thoughts- any kind of comeback from 17 down in those conditions was a glass half full / empty situation. We appeared at times to overplay, and those pop passes etc must’ve been like a bar of soap. Lein pack squeezed us with their defence, and we were forcing it, unnecessarily. The big miss for me was DV at 8. Those excellent basics of tidying rucks, not knocking on, getting into mauls etc - his low error count was missed, and we turned over too much ball as a result, which was a killer in those conditions.
I’d be interested to know what’s going on with Jordie as sorry to say Mattie at 6 for me isn’t cutting it. Where’s Sheridan? Only seen very very little but for a pup he’s physical-hopefully they are conditioning him, and we see him get a few starts to see where he’s at.

So Mr Sexton: Poor error re try placement, poorer error re quick throw in to Stockdale who got turned over. Yep he has put the handbrake on (open space v scarlets he slowed for support rather than go full throttle against 2 unorganised defenders). Dreadful conditions, easy to drift in and out as a winger, and yes your basics are shown up. The lad will feel bad, I’m happy to back giving him more exposure It’s a gamble worth taking. Hopefully his confidence doesn’t take a knock-next time in open space feck looking for support put the afterburners on and show his point of difference.
Frustrating night without doubt, but a while ago, their wouldn’t have been a bp from UR. Would’ve been a tricky kick to get that draw by the way.
We aren’t overplaying even if the conditions are like that. Ulster HAVE to play a different game with the small passes amongst the forwards because they can’t compete physically against the top sides esp without the likes of Hendy, DV and Moore on the pitch.

The amount of times against Leinster when we didn’t have the pop pass that we were stopped dead on the gainline or put back across the gainline was frightening. You can’t play the brand of rugby that Ulster want to play with slow ball, it’s just impossible.

Short, quick passes in small spaces with options is how Ulster play. Look how connected the forwards are from the touchline ruck now( you could nearly throw a blanket over 5-6 forwards now), tight shapes and being able to turn the corner in 2 line attack. Everyone an option, it’s so difficult to defend against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster V Leinster Friday 30th Sept

Post by Dave »

kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:Stockdale called for the quick throw and should have kicked it. Other tmo/refs would have given said non try. However there is nothing that can't be fixed there.

The main issue for him is tackling. If he can't sort that out then he will not get far in this ulster side. Previous sides, no problem. Of course Billy Burns detractors may disagree.
Whether Stockdale called it or not is besides the point. Wet,horrible night and we have arguably the best lineout/maul in the league.

Collecting high balls worries me. He doesn’t own the space for such a tall guy.

He just looks like a rabbit in the heads light with and without the ball.

I really hope in time people can come back to me and say ‘I told you so’ Image

I agree King, but he shouldn't now do it again though. It isn't a reason to say he won't make it, it's a fixable issue. Stockdale still caught it with time to kick. Sexton has no blame for the turnover for me as if Stockdale is calling for it to do anything other than kick, he has lost his mind. Leinster kicked down his throat as expected.

He was much better against the Scarlets, albeit a briefer outing. I don't believe that it was especially good man management to start him against Leinster with other experienced players not involved.

Expectations must be off the chart if a guy playing AIL all last year is supposed to come in and clearly make little to no mistakes against one of the best club aides in Europe. For the record I will never say I told you so, because I simply don't know at this point. It's difficult to draw a firm conclusion on the balance of what I have seen thus far. I want to see him versus a Zebre or Dragons. Even next week against the Ospreys.

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Dave wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:Stockdale called for the quick throw and should have kicked it. Other tmo/refs would have given said non try. However there is nothing that can't be fixed there.

The main issue for him is tackling. If he can't sort that out then he will not get far in this ulster side. Previous sides, no problem. Of course Billy Burns detractors may disagree.
Whether Stockdale called it or not is besides the point. Wet,horrible night and we have arguably the best lineout/maul in the league.

Collecting high balls worries me. He doesn’t own the space for such a tall guy.

He just looks like a rabbit in the heads light with and without the ball.

I really hope in time people can come back to me and say ‘I told you so’ Image

I agree King, but he shouldn't now do it again though. It isn't a reason to say he won't make it, it's a fixable issue. Stockdale still caught it with time to kick. Sexton has no blame for the turnover for me as if Stockdale is calling for it to do anything other than kick, he has lost his mind. Leinster kicked down his throat as expected.

He was much better against the Scarlets, albeit a briefer outing. I don't believe that it was especially good man management to start him against Leinster with other experienced players not involved.

Expectations must be off the chart if a guy playing AIL all last year is supposed to come in and clearly make little to no mistakes against one of the best club aides in Europe. For the record I will never say I told you so, because I simply don't know at this point. It's difficult to draw a firm conclusion on the balance of what I have seen thus far. I want to see him versus a Zebre or Dragons. Even next week against the Ospreys.
My opinion which could be way off the mark. He was given an opportunity against Scarlets because of the players away with emerging Ireland and he lasted 20mins or so. Management didn’t think he was given enough of opportunity so they were happy to back him for another match which happened to be Leinster. Now Sexton can’t turn round and say he wasn’t given a chance. I really don’t think it was anything to do with expectations of him.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

kingofthehill wrote: My opinion which could be way off the mark. He was given an opportunity against Scarlets because of the players away with emerging Ireland and he lasted 20mins or so. Management didn’t think he was given enough of opportunity so they were happy to back him for another match which happened to be Leinster. Now Sexton can’t turn round and say he wasn’t given a chance. I really don’t think it was anything to do with expectations of him.

If all he gets is a full game versus Leinster plus a smattering of other minutes, I think that's harsh. Maybe that's where we are it with better players now coming through.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Dave wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: My opinion which could be way off the mark. He was given an opportunity against Scarlets because of the players away with emerging Ireland and he lasted 20mins or so. Management didn’t think he was given enough of opportunity so they were happy to back him for another match which happened to be Leinster. Now Sexton can’t turn round and say he wasn’t given a chance. I really don’t think it was anything to do with expectations of him.

If all he gets is a full game versus Leinster plus a smattering of other minutes, I think that's harsh. Maybe that's where we are it with better players now coming through.
You have Moxham, Stockdale, Gilroy, Lyttle, Balacoune, McIlroy, Postlewaite and addison who can play on the wing. Chances don’t come round every week. Harsh but that’s professional sport.

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:

You have Moxham, Stockdale, Gilroy, Lyttle, Balacoune, McIlroy, Postlewaite and addison who can play on the wing. Chances don’t come round every week. Harsh but that’s professional sport.

I didn't know Postlewhaite covered wing too. A very useful asset.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Dave wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:

I didn't know Postlewhaite covered wing too. A very useful asset.
Yep the whole backline bar 9 and 10.

austintranslation
Novice

Post by austintranslation »

kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:

What's this that Lyttle is offski at the end of the season (or sooner)?

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

austintranslation wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:23 pm
kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:

Not to Worcester anyway.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

StandUp wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:27 pm
kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:

Not to Worcester anyway.
Sauce?

sorry ... source?

ah ..... you know wot I mean?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:35 pm
kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:

Not to Worcester anyway.
Sauce?

sorry ... source?

You said that that with some relish I think.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

austintranslation wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
Dave wrote:

Not to the place you would think.

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Be sorry to see Rob go if true. Despite his stature he was a solid nut with the best sidestep in the squad amd I never felt ulster were significantly weakened with him in the 23. He wouldn't make a first choice 23 but along with gilroy is a good squad player who fulfills a role at league level. I'm yet to see anything that says moxham or sexton will have a higher ceiling but of course the jury is still out.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

KOTH
I have put it in my diary for next May!!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:39 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:35 pm
kingofthehill wrote: You have Moxham, Stockdale, Gilroy, Lyttle, Balacoune, McIlroy, Postlewaite and addison who can play on the wing. Chances don’t come round every week. Harsh but that’s professional sport.

Not to Worcester anyway.
Sauce?

sorry ... source?

You said that that with some relish I think.
Maybe. I had got a bit behind in following the rumour mill and was just trying to ketch up, as they say in Cherryvelley
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right