Ulster v Ospreys Saturday October 8 7:35pm KO - BBC2 NI / URC TV / Premier Sports 2 / Super Sport / TG4 / S4C

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Ospreys Saturday October 8 7:35pm KO - BBC2 NI / URC TV / Premier Sports 2 / Super Sport / TG4 / S4C

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:29 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:27 pm Anyone else a tad disappointed with UR announcement team for not mentioning Gareth Thomas' 100th cap as he led the Ospreys team out?

It just looked like he had come out before the rest of his team and they'd let him get ahead.

It would have been nice for an announcement and let the crowd give him a bit of applause.

Disappointing then too that his match was over after 1 minute due to the blow to the head. Hope he fully and quickly recovers.
Indeed although are we not the only ones that persist with the term "cap" to describe what are essentially non representative appearances these days?
Watched it back this afternoon and Gusher was actually on the ball for this one. Ah well, a stopped clock etc ...

Is Big Frank son of BR at 6 ft 81/2 the tallest player ever to play for Ulster? Disappointed he didn't steal one at the lineout.
Gusher has changed to using the word 'appearances' in recent times.

However, there is a (perfectly valid) argument that 'caps' is an acceptable term to use, even for 'club' appearances. It is not anywhere near the most annoying terminology used in rugby today.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Ulster v Ospreys Saturday October 8 7:35pm KO - BBC2 NI / URC TV / Premier Sports 2 / Super Sport / TG4 / S4C

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dunno about other clubs/provinces, but at least Ulster do still award actual caps to recognise landmark numbers of appearances such as 50, 100, 150, 200
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

I’ve a feeling I’ll get flak for this, but sure…

In a case like Timoney’s non-try, on the basis that he knew he hadn’t got the back down down, and his expression sure as heck did indicate doubt (let’s just say he wouldn’t make a poker player) I’d have no problem with him telling the ref that and just getting on with the game, rather than fart about with TMO’s.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Marco wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:19 pm I’ve a feeling I’ll get flak for this, but sure…

In a case like Timoney’s non-try, on the basis that he knew he hadn’t got the back down down, and his expression sure as heck did indicate doubt (let’s just say he wouldn’t make a poker player) I’d have no problem with him telling the ref that and just getting on with the game, rather than fart about with TMO’s.
Dunno about that, but on his way back he should have advised Cooney to get a wriggle on with the conversion. I think he was mid kicking routine when the ref decided to have a look.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:44 pm
Marco wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:19 pm I’ve a feeling I’ll get flak for this, but sure…

Dunno about that, but on his way back he should have advised Cooney to get a wriggle on with the conversion. I think he was mid kicking routine when the ref decided to have a look.
The problem was the ref awarded the try before NT had finished scoring it.

TMO then sees the ball was not grounded. It wasn't grounded because the ref stopped play, but they ignore that and say it was held up. The 'holding up' was done after the whistle.

Ref's mistake seeing a grounding that hadn't yet occurred. Should have been a scrum 5 and an apology.

(I accept that the sound on the telly can be slightly behind the pictures, but in this case they looked in close sync; considering hand signals, etc).

We wuz robbed.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Marco wrote:Ball down…
Same. Just need the other one to drop now.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:59 pm
That can be serious - I suggest you get surgical intervention. :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:52 pm
Dave wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:59 pm
That can be serious - I suggest you get surgical intervention. :shock:
At my age, it would be serious. Must get the missus to check though :lol: