Connacht v Ulster Fri 23rd Dec 7:35pm RTE2 / Viaplay Sports 2 / Super Sport / URC TV

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Connacht v Ulster Fri 23rd Dec 7:35pm RTE2 / Viaplay Sports 2 / Super Sport / URC TV

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Ive always highly rated Marika Koroibete, playing league and having never played in great teams as held him back a bit.

It's easy to look good in a France, Toulouse, South African etc jersey over the past few year. Prob reason LRZ isn't getting more of a shout.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Connacht v Ulster Fri 23rd Dec 7:35pm RTE2 / Viaplay Sports 2 / Super Sport / URC TV

Post by Dave »

Columbo wrote:
ljsulster wrote:If mcilroy had top end pace he would be one of the best back 3 players in the world
Ha ha you’re getting a bit for grief for this, but I actually agree with you!! His defensive positioning / reads are exceptional, good tackler, superb footwork, great offloading game, deceptively strong - his big work ons would be kicking, and pace, and unfortunately there’s not much work you can do on the latter!! But I agree, if he had sexton’s pace he would be phenomenal..
Top 3 in the world is a mad claim I'm not going to lie. I admire your commitment to the player. Although he is a skillful guy, I was disappointed in his lack of defensive reading of a scrumhalf going straight through him to score a try. In those situations you have to smash the guy first time. Not the time for limp wristed ineffectiveness. As much as he lacks pace, he also lacks power. I wonder how this is not improving with the strength and conditioning available to him on a daily basis. Always a valuable squad option though.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Ive always highly rated Marika Koroibete, playing league and having never played in great teams as held him back a bit.

It's easy to look good in a France, Toulouse, South African etc jersey over the past few year. Prob reason LRZ isn't getting more of a shout.
Could they do it on a damp, windy Friday night in Galway?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Sorry Can't agree about McIlroy his problem is not just a lack of pace there is also the lack of self belief .

It is an essential in any good wing Bowe ,Trimble, Earls, O'Reilly Stockdale Conway they all have that sense of confidence and purpose ball in hand .

DH you and both like Moore if only he was a few pounds heavier. Lowry unfortunately is now a known number, an evasive runner, and thus when running from deep finds he is being channeled out of space and into contact. Similiarly his intervention in the back line is being expected and counter by the opposition defence .

Unlike NFL running backs can't be protected by blockers
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:54 am
UlsterNo9 wrote:Ive always highly rated Marika Koroibete, playing league and having never played in great teams as held him back a bit.

Could they do it on a damp, windy Friday night in Galway?
As an aside, I’m not sure that whoever reported on the game on the BBC website was actually in Galway. It wasn’t very windy at all (by any standards, not just the local micro-climate).
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:23 pm Unlike NFL running backs can't be protected by blockers
Unless playing for Leinster ... :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Look every one realises by now Leinster are the protected and blessed ones - blessed by blind refs and forgiving disciplinary panels so that the best 23 can play every important game .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

Dave wrote:
Columbo wrote:
ljsulster wrote:If mcilroy had top end pace he would be one of the best back 3 players in the world
Ha ha you’re getting a bit for grief for this, but I actually agree with you!! His defensive positioning / reads are exceptional, good tackler, superb footwork, great offloading game, deceptively strong - his big work ons would be kicking, and pace, and unfortunately there’s not much work you can do on the latter!! But I agree, if he had sexton’s pace he would be phenomenal..
Top 3 in the world is a mad claim I'm not going to lie. I admire your commitment to the player. Although he is a skillful guy, I was disappointed in his lack of defensive reading of a scrumhalf going straight through him to score a try. In those situations you have to smash the guy first time. Not the time for limp wristed ineffectiveness. As much as he lacks pace, he also lacks power. I wonder how this is not improving with the strength and conditioning available to him on a daily basis. Always a valuable squad option though.
He didn’t say ‘top 3 in the world’ in fairness - which i agree would be a bit much - he said ‘best back 3 players in the world’ which is vaguer and IMO more defensible Image
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Well I did misread it infairness. So apologies. Although could be a higher pitch to say one of the best. Either way, it's sparked an interesting discussion.