End of the road for Dan??

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Columbo
Squire

End of the road for Dan??

Post by Columbo »

Loads of negative sentiment after the way things have fallen apart - are we actually in an end-game situation? Or is that premature and knee jerk, and Dan’s the man to turn the ship around?

I have to say I’m now in the former camp - after several years of incremental improvement, we’ve seen a wholesale collapse, and I’m not seeing any evidence that anyone, including Dan, has much of an idea how to stop the rot. And yes of course the players have to shoulder their share of responsibility, but I’m not a fan of a head coach engaging in finger-pointing and blame-shifting - reminds me of the straw that broke the camels back for Dean Ryan at Dragons..

And for all that I think overall he has done a great job at ulster, and by last season had us competitive with any side in Europe IMO, there have been some recurring problems which were never solved - questions about Ulster’s collective bottle and game management in clutch situations which have consistently undermined us for years, poor inter pro record, poor recruitment. Not all Dan’s fault but the buck stops with him.

If it is the end of the road, what’s the likely exit? It’s not the IRFU style to sack someone summarily - they tend to nudge you towards the exit and agree a release.. there’s probably a job going at Leicester as I’ve seen KOTH mention, might that be a plan? How longs left on his contract? The IRFU are already recruiting for Connacht, so they’ll have a good handle on who’s out there..
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: End of the road for Dan??

Post by Dave »

Yes.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Dave wrote:Yes.
I’m just surprised you read all that! Image
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Columbo wrote:
Dave wrote:Yes.
I’m just surprised you read all that! Image
Only read the title Image
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dan is under contract until 2025.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

If you sack Dan you cannot ignore Bryn and Bell. Bryn for the load of rubbish he has signed and Bell for our crappie defence. A clearout of players also needed.
The whole game changed when Milsanovich came on and lay down in a heap at the first scrum.
Milsanovich, Jones, Matty Rea, O'Sullivan, Burns, Gilroy should all be guided out the door. Others are in the last chance saloon.
It is also about time that some of our younger players realised that they are not Billy Big Balls. A good kick up the jacksey would do them the world of good.
P.S. What does our skills coach do?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Just clean house. Even Ethel's tea has been stinking recently.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Jetstream wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:10 pm P.S. What does our skills coach do?
For me that's one of three big questions.

The other two are:
Do we actually have any really workable systems in both atack and defence?
How do we develop enough bottle to play every game for the full 80 mins?
Ethel
Novice

Post by Ethel »

Dave wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:57 pm Just clean house. Even Ethel's tea has been stinking recently.
I haven’t gone away ya know , had a change of jobs since the Colonel left but I still pop into the office to see the girls, All a bit spicey in HQ at the moment. Dan the Man not so popular, poor poor Jonny should have stuck to renting out houses, rumour has it Bryn , was told that a fence needed fixed and since it was one owned by Jonny it some how came changed to Jonny defence coach , not Jonny fix de fence .

Oh , also reactivated those awful bugs, while I was in .

They use cheap English tea bags now
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The forum is getting spicy now. People are logging back into their burner accounts.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Ethel wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:23 am
Dave wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:57 pm Just clean house. Even Ethel's tea has been stinking recently.
I haven’t gone away ya know , had a change of jobs since the Colonel left but I still pop into the office to see the girls, All a bit spicey in HQ at the moment. Dan the Man not so popular, poor poor Jonny should have stuck to renting out houses, rumour has it Bryn , was told that a fence needed fixed and since it was one owned by Jonny it some how came changed to Jonny defence coach , not Jonny fix de fence .

Oh , also reactivated those awful bugs, while I was in .

They use cheap English tea bags now
Probably a couple of things in there that made sense to me... possibly... maybe.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I'm not convinced it is the overall coaching that is the problem. On field leadership and decision making is the bigger problem (while I accept that a degree of that has come from the coaching).

We need a serious leader on the pitch - a Muller type of leader.

I do have some concerns about the defensive systems, but a Shaun Edwards system will leak like a sieve, if the players on the pitch believe tackling is optional like on Sunday.

If however, it transpires that McFarland has given the team strict instructions that they should box-kick the ball away to the opposition in our own half, during the closing stages while protecting a narrow lead - then yes - he can feck off.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Holding possession in your own half with minutes to go trying to defend a 2 point lead is stupid. Especially when against a team with better poachers and an inability to set up rucks beyond the gainline. Instead of box kicking we needed to kick long to their 22 and defend from their 22/10m line. As we don't have a kicking out half we resort to box kicks which don't go as far and put us immediately under pressure. Dan should have backed doak to come on at 10 and kick for territory. Taking off stockdale ( the other big boot) was also a mistake.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Dan out!
Jean in!
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

But when protecting a 5 point leas?