La Rochelle v Ulster (if you can’t be arsed to come to the game you can at least look up the TV details yourselves)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: La Rochelle v Ulster (if you can’t be arsed to come to the game you can at least look up the TV details yourselves)

Post by StandUp »

Karma kicks like a mule
Columbo
Steward

La Rochelle v Ulster (if you can’t be arsed to come to the game you can at least look up the TV details yourselves)

Post by Columbo »

Well I guess you could argue that once again Ulster failed to manage a game out etc etc, and it was a poor pen by Warwick, but I can’t find it in myself to be critical of the players after that. In fact I think it was a very good performance, and I thought we were marginally the better side over the 80. Yes of course they could have easily drawn, and the scrum pen we got looked generous to my inexpert eyes (although cancelled out by Timoney’s perfectly good poach) but they were pretty much punched out by the end, and Kerr-Barlow’s pointless boxkick was testament to it.. harrowing last couple of minutes - you do have to say along with everything else, our luck has been absolutely foul for the last couple of months, and that won’t last for ever. Judgements on the coaches and all that can wait another day - that was a class performance and I was delighted to see it - big rebound on Saturday please!! (Where I will be in attendance with 2 sale fans )
..one more thing
Dharper
Steward

Re: La Rochelle v Ulster (if you can’t be arsed to come to the game you can at least look up the TV details yourselves)

Post by Dharper »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:50 pm Replacing Lancaster possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmm, that’d be interesting. Wouldn’t it need to be signed off by the Irfu? The way he left UR caused issues for everyone, and dans subsequent recruitment. Although he has that Leinster connection and was doing well at LAR, hmmm it’d raise a few eyebrows I’d say. Leinster would be a top gig, but would Gibbes have the brass neck to come back to Ireland.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Knowing Gibbes he'd book the flight from Clermont to Dublin which has a 2 year layover in Tokyo
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

LOOK....... if anyone wants to break away from the idea of wrist slitting, doom gloom, and everything negative read on, if not g'wan feck yersel.

HC 2022-23

Played th'ee, lost th'ee, we are like a pun'a'mince FFFS

Believe that if you wish however, here are the facts:

Round Yin: Sail away - well maybe we should have because I understand we had three different groups on 3 separate airyplanes then 3 different buses and all after rising at Sparrow's fart to do so. In terms of perfect preparation, you'd travel far and wide to find worse. Could it have been better? Maybe, how the feck would eye no? I live in Spain, haven't seen a frost in 5 years, walkaround in January in a tee shirt, albeit the Jaysus boots went away in November.

None of that excuses a poor poor performance that never started BUT to an extent, it explains it.

Round Twa: Stade Rochelais ho...away, especially as their club "delegation", from 5-year-olds to pensionistas formed 100% of the crowd, whilst "Good old ROG" flouted his suspension blatantly. ECPR flouted World Rugby's regulations by not having a pitch inspection on the day of the game.

WHY? Because the good folk of La Rochelle preferred to watch Les Grenouilles play in the Wendyball World Cup final than potentially play rugby on a Sunday at Ravenhill & there was me thinking La Belle France had barely a pradasint since they dispersed the Huguenots' a while back. Still, doubtless the DUPers were pleased not to have to picket Ravenhill as if it were an abortion advice centre, whilst they could've been reading the Bible (the world's most popular work of fiction in publishing history) of a Sunday.

The game, barely worthy of comment, the first half was a shambles, I could try to excuse it as similarly farcical though a tad different than the Sale game, but I won't because we were shamed. In the second half, yes we got four tries and 2 points, more significantly, although it must be prefaced by SR sitting on their laurels (always be careful of sitting on or handling laurels, apart from the Bay Laurel (or Laurel as we call it in Spain) they are poisonous to man and dog). I digress, meanwhile back at the 2nd half, we displayed a timely reminder that we can indeed play rugby and have a tad of backbone. I promise you, the likes of Glaws would simply have subsided to an even greater capitulation.

Round Th'ee: A proper performance of heart and soul, some lesser lights doing themselves no harm, Hendy showing why he should be captain, young Doak recovering form, and Wee Shinnerboots showing that aside from being a quality cheerleader, he can play rugby and has guts. We lost it at the end, yes we did, was it lack of anything from Ulster?

Maybe but it was the European champions fighting like King Billy at The Battle of Kilwaughter (where some fell here, and some felt there, and some fell in the water, and one poor soul took a bullet up the hole, at the battle of the boiling water) at home where they have a hell of a record and had trounced Toulouse the previous week.

I can only add that I have already penned a letter to World Rugby advising that as games are becoming interminably long, that they must instate the 35-minute half. It will add much-needed relief for commercial advertisers wondering will their ad get any play time before the TV companies get to their next programme, but interestingly, Ulster may just benefit, I kid you nat.

And so, the denouement Round Four: Such is my confidence that Ulster will perform that I am making a guest appearance, no not on the pitch, but amongst the great unwashed. We may not win, however, only a match change to the RDS will do that.

Take what ye will from thon, every word has some basis in fact.

Right, see yis next January.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:32 pm
Dave wrote:Getting hammered by Leinster at the Aviva ( you would feel obliged to go). Season over. Or Parker Pen?

Parker Pen for me.
Far rather be in round 16 of the Champions cup to the Parker Pen……

Would always give us a chance against Leinster at Aviva. IF (yea,it’s a fairly big IF)they won they would have a home quarter final).

Not sure I could stomach another plucky defeat to Leinster in a big game. I've had my fill of those.

Going to work on the Monday after getting beat by them is horrific, either smug smiles or patronising "you ran us close" comments.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
flatpass
Novice

Post by flatpass »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:31 am LOOK....... if anyone wants to break away from the idea of wrist slitting, doom gloom, and everything negative read on, if not g'wan feck yersel.

HC 2022-23

Played th'ee, lost th'ee, we are like a pun'a'mince FFFS

Believe that if you wish however, here are the facts:

Round Yin: Sail away - well maybe we should have because I understand we had three different groups on 3 separate airyplanes then 3 different buses and all after rising at Sparrow's fart to do so. In terms of perfect preparation, you'd travel far and wide to find worse. Could it have been better? Maybe, how the feck would eye no? I live in Spain, haven't seen a frost in 5 years, walkaround in January in a tee shirt, albeit the Jaysus boots went away in November.

None of that excuses a poor poor performance that never started BUT to an extent, it explains it.

Round Twa: Stade Rochelais ho...away, especially as their club "delegation", from 5-year-olds to pensionistas formed 100% of the crowd, whilst "Good old ROG" flouted his suspension blatantly. ECPR flouted World Rugby's regulations by not having a pitch inspection on the day of the game.

WHY? Because the good folk of La Rochelle preferred to watch Les Grenouilles play in the Wendyball World Cup final than potentially play rugby on a Sunday at Ravenhill & there was me thinking La Belle France had barely a pradasint since they dispersed the Huguenots' a while back. Still, doubtless the DUPers were pleased not to have to picket Ravenhill as if it were an abortion advice centre, whilst they could've been reading the Bible (the world's most popular work of fiction in publishing history) of a Sunday.

The game, barely worthy of comment, the first half was a shambles, I could try to excuse it as similarly farcical though a tad different than the Sale game, but I won't because we were shamed. In the second half, yes we got four tries and 2 points, more significantly, although it must be prefaced by SR sitting on their laurels (always be careful of sitting on or handling laurels, apart from the Bay Laurel (or Laurel as we call it in Spain) they are poisonous to man and dog). I digress, meanwhile back at the 2nd half, we displayed a timely reminder that we can indeed play rugby and have a tad of backbone. I promise you, the likes of Glaws would simply have subsided to an even greater capitulation.

Round Th'ee: A proper performance of heart and soul, some lesser lights doing themselves no harm, Hendy showing why he should be captain, young Doak recovering form, and Wee Shinnerboots showing that aside from being a quality cheerleader, he can play rugby and has guts. We lost it at the end, yes we did, was it lack of anything from Ulster?

Maybe but it was the European champions fighting like King Billy at The Battle of Kilwaughter (where some fell here, and some felt there, and some fell in the water, and one poor soul took a bullet up the hole, at the battle of the boiling water) at home where they have a hell of a record and had trounced Toulouse the previous week.

I can only add that I have already penned a letter to World Rugby advising that as games are becoming interminably long, that they must instate the 35-minute half. It will add much-needed relief for commercial advertisers wondering will their ad get any play time before the TV companies get to their next programme, but interestingly, Ulster may just benefit, I kid you nat.

And so, the denouement Round Four: Such is my confidence that Ulster will perform that I am making a guest appearance, no not on the pitch, but amongst the great unwashed. We may not win, however, only a match change to the RDS will do that.

Take what ye will from thon, every word has some basis in fact.

Right, see yis next January.
A tour de force, Baggy. Even as a Bible believer I lol and thoroughly enjoyed that. You put it in perspective. Enjoy your visit - nearly said homecoming there but that would be a step too far 😄
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

flatpass wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:11 pm
A tour de force, Baggy. Even as a Bible believer I lol and thoroughly enjoyed that. You put it in perspective. Enjoy your visit - nearly said homecoming there but that would be a step too far 😄
The Parable of the Prodigal Son
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

We wuz robbed.

While we were on their try line, they gave away penalty after penalty until they got a yellow card, and then more penalties, which they completely got away with. Don't understand how they got the ball and it didn't go back for one of the several penalty advantages we supposedly had. Either that, or it should have been a penalty try.

But a battling performance in grim conditions against top opposition. It did seem like Doak was playing both halfback positions as well as in the lineout. Madge was basically playing as a third centre, carrying into contact a lot but doing very little of the actual out-half duties other than slabbering at the referee (I thought only the captain was supposed to do that? Maybe Big Iain needs to up his slabbering game). Wasn't a game for distribution to the backs, but Doak was taking the touch kicks, which is normally Billy's job. He managed the game pretty well, and I think out-half will be his eventual position.

Jeff Toomaga-Allen has answered some of his critics. Played solidly for 80 minutes last week and 70 minutes this week, and no clowning.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

thecrouch wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:37 pm
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:32 pm
Dave wrote:Getting hammered by Leinster at the Aviva ( you would feel obliged to go). Season over. Or Parker Pen?

Parker Pen for me.
Far rather be in round 16 of the Champions cup to the Parker Pen……

Would always give us a chance against Leinster at Aviva. IF (yea,it’s a fairly big IF)they won they would have a home quarter final).

Not sure I could stomach another plucky defeat to Leinster in a big game. I've had my fill of those.

Going to work on the Monday after getting beat by them is horrific, either smug smiles or patronising "you ran us close" comments.
Yeah, but think of the feeling if we beat them! >drink1 :cheers: :fleg:
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He definitely wasn’t on the ‘Officers’ coach to the ground.

Saw one for ‘Sponsors’ after the game so he could have been on that.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

horslips wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:20 pm Did Dick make the match

https://scontent-lhr8-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=63CA76FD
Yip. Was in McNulty's then walked out to the stadium with young Arthur
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Temperature still in the minus figures here where I am. No idea what the Ravenhill micro climate is doing mind you.

Once frost bitten, twice shy....

Are the covers on? Leaf blowers at the ready?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18