La Rochelle v Ulster (if you can’t be arsed to come to the game you can at least look up the TV details yourselves)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: La Rochelle v Ulster (if you can’t be arsed to come to the game you can at least look up the TV details yourselves)

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:27 am General Humbert excelled himself this evening.

Mrs justinr73 dutifully toddled off to the bar, ordered a round of five or six drinks and they wouldn’t take her money.

The owner said she’d spent enough there this weekend!

>appl
Must have made a fortune this weekend. I remember on Biarritz trip in 2010/11 in San Sebastian our group spent so much in a tapas style bar in one night, he said the next day, made 3 months money in one night!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: La Rochelle v Ulster (if you can’t be arsed to come to the game you can at least look up the TV details yourselves)

Post by BR »

Bobbievee wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:41 am
justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:27 am General Humbert excelled himself this evening.

Mrs justinr73 dutifully toddled off to the bar, ordered a round of five or six drinks and they wouldn’t take her money.

>appl
Unheard of! Bloody brilliant!
Au contraire - many small french bars will set up a round every now and.again. Especially if you are standing up and getting your coat and looking like you are about to leave. (Not that anyone would take advantage of that when they have no intentions of going anywhere)
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

That was not the performance I was expecting and fair play to the team. Most of them were pretty good, some were excellent. Henderson was incredible. I really thought we might win it. The try we couldn't quite score was the problem. But really can't fault the team. A LBP versus the champs in their back yard is a good result.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

BR wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:35 am

>appl
Au contraire - many small french bars will set up a round every now and.again. Especially if you are standing up and getting your coat and looking like you are about to leave. (Not that anyone would take advantage of that when they have no intentions of going anywhere)
Ha ha - must remember that one BR!

Save for the two results, it’s been a great trip.

The natives were very welcoming throughout, although I reckon we were charged well over the odds for a few brandies in Lyon on one occasion.

I blame myself for slipping back into my true accent.

Time to recharge the batteries now for Saturday.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:44 am
BR wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:35 am

>appl
Ha ha - must remember that one BR!

Save for the two results, it’s been a great trip.

The natives were very welcoming throughout, although I reckon we were charged well over the odds for a few brandies in Lyon on one occasion.

I blame myself for slipping back into my true accent.

Time to recharge the batteries now for Saturday.
The trouble with Lyon is they assume you want the very best food and drink, so you may have been just given very good (and very expensive) brandy. If you're anything like me, by the time I've switched to brandy, the quality stuff is wasted on me.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Couple of comments after rewatching the game:

Don't profess to know anything about the Marcus Rea situation but that's the biggest pack we've put out in years. Our front row matched theirs in terms of size alone and Timoney was our lightest BR. Add in Mcann and Sheridan to match bulk with bulk and I'm not sure that was a game for Marcus, especially as any look at the forecast would've predicted trench warfare.

How many penalties and warnings before the ref gives the PT? Ludicrous reffing.

JTA should be looked at for re-sign. A step up from TOT, and for such a tall, long backed TH, he coped easily with their squat loosehead who ended up trying to illegally bore and get underneath him. Injury profile would be a concern though.

Mads in fairness was excellent. In the refs ear and calling the shots. He was in the zone. We miss this vocality from Burns.

Play with the same bloody minded attitude (and team ) against Sale and we can exact bloody revenge. I'm convinced they're not that good. Only change would be McCloskey for the injured Marshall sadly- although if both were fit they would be my starting midfield.
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exterminate all rational thought
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

A much improved performance than the dross they've served up for the last few months.

Still can't close games out though. I'd spend the money we'll save on Carter/Jordi next season on a world class sports psycologist to end Ulster's incredible ability to sh*t the bed at critical moments.

Fair play to the lads though for putting up a spirited fight against the champs, away from home, in terrible conditions. But that was another one that got away.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Marco wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:19 pm Great effort, heartbreak, no criticism. We can still be there or thereabouts in the league with that spirit. Rory Best such a great pundit in the commentary box as well, someone has to get him actively involved in the management and coaching, he has a wise head and people will listen.
I like Rory when he's on the Ulster Rugby show with Tommy Bowe etc, but on live commentary/punditry, especially to a wider audience than the Ulster faithful, it's like he's bending over backwards to appear unbiased, he comes across as very negative to Ulster. Does my heed in.

Very critical of some calls on the pitch by players - calls that I agreed with at the time, so maybe that's why I don't like them. It is easier to criticise from the sidelines than to get everything 100% right on the pitch.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

StandUp wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:33 pm
Dave wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:28 pm A frost is forecast much of next week. I hope someone puts the covers down. Friday lunchtime would do.
Is the RDS free next weekend?
Will there be "Official team delegate" passes for sale?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:34 pm
StandUp wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:33 pm
Dave wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:28 pm A frost is forecast much of next week. I hope someone puts the covers down. Friday lunchtime would do.
Is the RDS free next weekend?
Will there be "Official team delegate" passes for sale?
Only for Sale fans… Sorry I mean Sale Team Delegates
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

So of the 4 other natches Ulster would have had an interest in results of, 3 went their way, with Clermont, LIp and Northampton all losing. Montpellier losing to ospreys was the only negative although it was their home defeat against the Ospreys a few weeks ago which made things harder for Ulster.

If Clermont fails to take a point in SA vs Stormers then a win would see Ulster through unless sale get 2 losing points.

If Clermont get a point then I reckon Ulster would probably need 5 to overhaul them.

I haven't checked but ulster's points difference must be the worst out of them, Sale and Clermont due to the mauling at Sale.

So still a chance of a trip to the Aviva!
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

A win of any sort guarantees a challenge Cup spot. I can't see clermont getting within 7 of the stormers so the only issue is could they score 4 tries. Will depend on what team they send down there. The good news is that game will be over before ours KOs so we will know exactly what is needed.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Imagine being as terrible as we've been and qualifying for the last 16.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Jackie Brown wrote:Imagine being as terrible as we've been and qualifying for the last 16. ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
And essentially a home game if it’s at the aviva.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I'd definitely prefer the Challenge Cup.