Sat Jan 21 8pm Ulster v Sale BT Sport 2 / beIN SPORTS / SuperSport / FloRugby

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Re: Sat Jan 21 8pm Ulster v Sale BT Sport 2 / beIN SPORTS / SuperSport / FloRugby

Post by StandUp »

Leinster it is then🥃🍺🥃🍺
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Sat Jan 21 8pm Ulster v Sale BT Sport 2 / beIN SPORTS / SuperSport / FloRugby

Post by jean valjean »

Come on LI. Don't begrudge them a 4th try now.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:31 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:07 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:01 pm
TopPoster wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:12 am A good win yes. Improved performances and showed some grit at the end.

But…..

Call me a miserable facker all you like but this won’t do UR any favours. Likely to get the usual tanking by Leinster in the last 16 to end another disappointing Hieny Cup. Ain’t going to be URC champs either.

A plucky draw or a LBP & 4TBP would have secured Challenge Cup qualification which might give a more realistic chance of silverware to break that duck.
I think you’re significantly underestimating the value of the win in terms of shutting up the noise around our recent run of form.
Justin, the "noise " is well justified. It's also a pathology...
It is and it isn’t.

If you weren’t at the wins in Limerick and Galway, then I can just about see how a last kick loss on NYD plus a few close defeats in tough away games can seem like a full blown crisis, if you’re prone to such hyperbole.

Winning a home game that we’d normally expect to win was important, however.
Justin, I've been at many a choke since the start of the Pro Era, so I'm not some blow in Giants fan. First game Vs All Blacks 1978. This is a chronic condition within UR not just this season but from start of Pro rugby bar a couple of flukes. Even with RP, Muller Payne, Ferris etc we still blew our wheels off under pressure.
That's why I said Pathology
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It’s all relative though, isn’t it?

When your other season ticket is for a once great footy team that hasn’t been in the top flight since 1961, knocking on the door in the league and competing in Europe isn’t half bad in comparison…
DWFinn
Novice

Post by DWFinn »

What’s the verdict on Harry Sheridan’s performance last night? I was too engrossed in the scoreboard to notice who was doing what in the tight.

Perhaps some green shoots in our forwards production line with McCann, Sheridan and potentially McNabney coming through in the back row.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

I thought Sheridan did very well. Solid defence. No major mistakes.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:46 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:31 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:07 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:01 pm
TopPoster wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:12 am A good win yes. Improved performances and showed some grit at the end.

But…..

Call me a miserable facker all you like but this won’t do UR any favours. Likely to get the usual tanking by Leinster in the last 16 to end another disappointing Hieny Cup. Ain’t going to be URC champs either.

A plucky draw or a LBP & 4TBP would have secured Challenge Cup qualification which might give a more realistic chance of silverware to break that duck.
I think you’re significantly underestimating the value of the win in terms of shutting up the noise around our recent run of form.
Justin, the "noise " is well justified. It's also a pathology...
It is and it isn’t.

If you weren’t at the wins in Limerick and Galway, then I can just about see how a last kick loss on NYD plus a few close defeats in tough away games can seem like a full blown crisis, if you’re prone to such hyperbole.

Winning a home game that we’d normally expect to win was important, however.
Justin, I've been at many a choke since the start of the Pro Era, so I'm not some blow in Giants fan. First game Vs All Blacks 1978. This is a chronic condition within UR not just this season but from start of Pro rugby bar a couple of flukes. Even with RP, Muller Payne, Ferris etc we still blew our wheels off under pressure.
That's why I said Pathology
Me too CI!

A gloomy autumn afternoon as I recall.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

DWFinn wrote:What’s the verdict on Harry Sheridan’s performance last night? I was too engrossed in the scoreboard to notice who was doing what in the tight.

Perhaps some green shoots in our forwards production line with McCann, Sheridan and potentially McNabney coming through in the back row.
I thought he did well. A few robust carries. I noticed one exceptional clearout on 16 mins. He absolutely empties his man, cleanly I might add. Some of the cleaning out was much poorer by other players.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

We still get isolated too often and allow the opposition to get over the ball. It either slows the ball or worse concedes a penalty. If Sheridan can keep hitting rucks well that's a good start but our ball security and ruck speed needs to improve.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:57 pm We still get isolated too often and allow the opposition to get over the ball. It either slows the ball or worse concedes a penalty. If Sheridan can keep hitting rucks well that's a good start but our ball security and ruck speed needs to improve.
There’s a danger, of course, that the effectiveness of our driving maul means that stuff like that is missed.

If Doak is on field he should be sticking it into touch though.

There must have been four or five pens yesterday when we could have been another 10 or 15 yards further up the pitch.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:52 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:57 pm We still get isolated too often and allow the opposition to get over the ball. It either slows the ball or worse concedes a penalty. If Sheridan can keep hitting rucks well that's a good start but our ball security and ruck speed needs to improve.
There’s a danger, of course, that the effectiveness of our driving maul means that stuff like that is missed.

If Doak is on field he should be sticking it into touch though.

There must have been four or five pens yesterday when we could have been another 10 or 15 yards further up the pitch.
+1. Burns’ kicking to touch is not good. Should be Cooney or Doak kicking.
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Most encouraging to see Jacob Stockdale put in a half-decent performance. Still well short of his best, obviously, but better than he has been.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

promenader 2 wrote:Most encouraging to see Jacob Stockdale put in a half-decent performance. Still well short of his best, obviously, but better than he has been.
He caught most things, which is better than not catching anything I suppose. He goes into contact well. I was just hoping that chip n chase would stick. He needs something like that just to lift his self-belief.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Pure fantasy. The average Ulster supporter age is 76. There is a reason why the gate is reducing year on year.