Sharks v Ulster Saturday 25th February Noon Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Sharks v Ulster Saturday 25th February Noon Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by kingofthehill »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:24 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote:Moore is such a smart player. Stewart, Sheridan and McCann young bulls. How is Jones near the squad with these two capable of playing 6?

I thought Flannery inventive and definitely worth persevering with.

Mcilroy caught stone cold shooting up for Sharks last try. Shocker
Jones is in because of his lineout. That’s were Mccann struggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a poor trade off King. These days lifters can basically hoist anyone. Or McCann lifts. All back 5 should lift now they get extra height in the lift over the traditional props. Pretty interchangeable.
Look at AOC, not a big lock but pretty much guaranteed at the front. That's where I'd lift McCann- fast and flat with his bulk. It's trainable- timing and technique.
I’m not disagreeing with you but I’m telling you the reason.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Re: Sharks v Ulster Saturday 25th February Noon Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by thecrouch »

Jetstream wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:06 pm
thecrouch wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:17 am I think the frustration comes from the fact that it's very rare to see a player at this level so poor at pretty much every single basic element of the game. If Sexton wasn't really, really fast he wouldn't be within a sniff of pro rugby, that's how unremarkable his other attributes are. Running with the ball in the wrong hand, dropping simple enough passes, not good under the high ball, no footwork whatsoever, weak tackling, it's worrying.

He needs to improve his rugby and improve it fast if he wants a career at Ulster.

That's a very cruel post. The young lad gave up a highly promising athletic career to join Ulster Rugby. Give him another season to see how he gets on.
The last thing a young lad needs is someone like you coming on here and annihilating him. We will see how he gets on after an extended run of games.
I doubt the lad cares what I say on here, but I am not writing him off or annihilating him, nor trying to be cruel.

We can't beat around the bush and fluff it up, his basics are poor and that's the unfortunate reality. McFarland has been very slow to introduce him to the team and we can see why, he's not there yet.

He's 22, so he's young, but IMO he's behind the curve of where you'd expect someone on the fringes of the senior team to be.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

kingofthehill wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:36 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:24 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote:Moore is such a smart player. Stewart, Sheridan and McCann young bulls. How is Jones near the squad with these two capable of playing 6?

I thought Flannery inventive and definitely worth persevering with.

Mcilroy caught stone cold shooting up for Sharks last try. Shocker
Jones is in because of his lineout. That’s were Mccann struggles.

It's a poor trade off King. These days lifters can basically hoist anyone. Or McCann lifts. All back 5 should lift now they get extra height in the lift over the traditional props. Pretty interchangeable.
Look at AOC, not a big lock but pretty much guaranteed at the front. That's where I'd lift McCann- fast and flat with his bulk. It's trainable- timing and technique.
I’m not disagreeing with you but I’m telling you the reason.

Didn't say you were- just pointing out it's a specious argument by UR if that's the case- and I defer to your inside knowledge. Nothing surprises me about this management team tbh.
Exterminate all rational thought
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

thecrouch wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:28 pm
thecrouch wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:17 am I think the frustration comes from the fact that it's very rare to see a player at this level so poor at pretty much every single basic element of the game. If Sexton wasn't really, really fast he wouldn't be within a sniff of pro rugby, that's how unremarkable his other attributes are. Running with the ball in the wrong hand, dropping simple enough passes, not good under the high ball, no footwork whatsoever, weak tackling, it's worrying.

He needs to improve his rugby and improve it fast if he wants a career at Ulster.

That's a very cruel post. The young lad gave up a highly promising athletic career to join Ulster Rugby. Give him another season to see how he gets on.
The last thing a young lad needs is someone like you coming on here and annihilating him. We will see how he gets on after an extended run of games.
I doubt the lad cares what I say on here, but I am not writing him off or annihilating him, nor trying to be cruel.

We can't beat around the bush and fluff it up, his basics are poor and that's the unfortunate reality. McFarland has been very slow to introduce him to the team and we can see why, he's not there yet.

He's 22, so he's young, but IMO he's behind the curve of where you'd expect someone on the fringes of the senior team to be.
You annihilated him. Every single word was detrimental. If I was an impressionable 22 year old lad and read that I would be utterly deflated.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Jetstream wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:12 pm

You annihilated him. Every single word was detrimental. If I was an impressionable 22 year old lad and read that I would be utterly deflated.
There’s an argument to say that if he’s an impressionable 22 year old lad and deflated then he’s never gonna make it.

Many successful guys get there on the back of proving people wrong.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:22 pm
There’s an argument to say that if he’s an impressionable 22 year old lad and deflated then he’s never gonna make it.

:thumleft:

I'd also add if there's a professional rugby player reading this forum it's not just his rugby attributes that needs brought into question :lol:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I could have been a pro, but I wasn't near good enough. I'm also very unprofessional in most aspects of life. I still read a bit on here. So take from that what you will. Just the shorter posts, though.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Dave wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:49 pm I could have been a pro, but I wasn't near good enough. I'm also very unprofessional in most aspects of life. I still read a bit on here. So take from that what you will. Just the shorter posts, though.
"Wasn't near good enough" sounds like code for "I used to wake up every Monday morning after a feed of pints with the remnants of last nights kebab all over my chest"
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

thecrouch wrote:
Dave wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:49 pm I could have been a pro, but I wasn't near good enough. I'm also very unprofessional in most aspects of life. I still read a bit on here. So take from that what you will. Just the shorter posts, though.
"Wasn't near good enough" sounds like code for "I used to wake up every Monday morning after a feed of pints with the remnants of last nights kebab all over my chest"
Doesn't sound like me. I'm definitely finishing that kebab.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Jetstream wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:12 pm

I would favour giving him more time.....But not a lot more time........ in general I think we need to get beyond thinking of our 22yo as young starters, especially in the wing positions. English premier rugby is filled with established flying wings of this age.......skills already honed.

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:32 pm

I'd also add if there's a professional rugby player reading this forum it's not just his rugby attributes that needs brought into question :lol:
Dan prints these threads off and pins them up on the dressing room wall.

How else are these youngsters going to improve?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Exactly.

That’s what coaching is all about.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:45 am

I think it's Marcus he's pinned to the wall
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Jetstream wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:42 am
big mervyn wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:45 am

I think it's Marcus he's pinned to the wall
And throwing darts at!