Plastic Pitch

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: Plastic Pitch

Post by Setanta »

Interesting to note in DV's thanks to Ulster he notes he never had to play in Glasgow as plastic pitch was deadly for his dodgy knees. Hope we do not have too many players with dodgy knees!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

Having had a few months to evaluate the concensus appears to apportion blame for injuries directly to the pitch. Have we had more than on grass.
One of the drivers for plastic was touted as ability to utilise the pitch for concerts. Has anyone any information on when Taylor Swift is coming or will we get Uncle Hugo doing a live outside broadcast.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I think it looks awful. Also seems to have had zero positive impact on our back play. Also micro-plastics... Great work Ulster Rugby
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I'm not a fan of plastic pitches but I don't think we have more injuries than usual. Anybody got any stats?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It suits our expansive style of play.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I'm sure stuff like this was mentioned before but cant really be hooped scrolling through the whole thread:

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/3 ... sures-more

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/3 ... safer-turf
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
blerta
Novice

Post by blerta »

I was watching replay of Saracens v Connacht EC and one of the commentators , who sounded like Austin Healey commented on the Saracen plastic pitch .The view given was that the surface had become hard and they were thinking of removing it and relaying a grass pitch , which I found interesting .
Wilson Whineray, All Black captain was asked for his opinion following their defeat to an English counties team.

He replied, "Tonight the sun will go down and tomorrow it will rise again."
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

waggonsroll wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:01 pm Having had a few months to evaluate the concensus appears to apportion blame for injuries directly to the pitch. Have we had more than on grass.
One of the drivers for plastic was touted as ability to utilise the pitch for concerts. Has anyone any information on when Taylor Swift is coming or will we get Uncle Hugo doing a live outside broadcast.
>#

Fermain - ban him

Ban him NOW

Ban him and burn him!

There's weemen and childer frequent this place - no need for use of the 'H' word!!!!! >rtfm
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:48 pm
waggonsroll wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:01 pm Having had a few months to evaluate the concensus appears to apportion blame for injuries directly to the pitch. Have we had more than on grass.
>#

Fermain - ban him

Ban him NOW

Ban him and burn him!

There's weemen and childer frequent this place - no need for use of the 'H' word!!!!! >rtfm
Just close down the board NOW!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
NoPayneNoGain
Novice

Post by NoPayneNoGain »

solidarity wrote:I'm not a fan of plastic pitches but I don't think we have more injuries than usual. Anybody got any stats?
No stats but we tend to start most seasons poorly on the injury front.

I attribute this more to the S&C load more than the pitch because it's a yearly trend.

What's new this year seems to be the number of withdrawals on game day or during the warm ups. That's unusually high. Not sure where the blame lies for that. The pitch, s&c or even just selection of players not 100%

Dunno

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

We’ve certainly got fewer injuries than Munster…
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:43 am We’ve certainly got fewer injuries than Munster…
We apparently have 10 or 11 out which is less than Munster's 18. But Munster's has a bigger squad by around 6 or 7 players.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

So we’ve fewer injuries and a lower proportion too then.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Last relevant stat I came across is that clubs normally have 25% of players injured at any one time. Looks like we're about on par.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:21 pm So we’ve fewer injuries and a lower proportion too then.
Munster 61 players
Ulster. 56 players
Numbers includes Academy.
So basically Munster have 43 fit players and Ulster 45.
Not much of a difference and I have seen figures in the past that suggest that at any one time 20 percent of a team's squad is injured