We need a ten, but we don't seem to know it.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: We need a ten, but we don't seem to know it.

Post by Big-al »

kingofthehill wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:19 am
StandUp wrote:It’s been said many times that Beaker isn’t a URC standard first choice 10, but we won’t get an NIQ 10 and there’s no one in our squad who is a better choice. Nor will we get Paddy back (and I strongly doubt if he would ever choose to darken our door again) so for now, we are f?cked.
If the Prendergast rumour turns out to be bullsh!t, which I strongly suspect, then Beaker will continue as our main man.
Our pack will be bolstered next season with two fantastic new additions but without a 10 who can grab a game by the scruff then we will continue to be second best when it really matters.
Is there a rumour about Pendergast leaving Leinster or just what people think he should do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s a UAFC rumour from a poster. I’ve seen nothing mentioned elsewhere.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

There was a rumour we offered him a contract, but that is it. No suggestion at all he would accept it, why would he? He looks likely to leapfrog Harry Byrne at the very least at Leinster, I suspect he'll get plenty of senior game time for D4 next year and come the end of the season he'll have a medal or two to put in his drawer.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Soda wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:07 pm I'd suspect we absolutely do know it, but there's just no chance of D4 sanctioning an NIQ 10.
And for all BB's shortcomings, can you imagine where we'd be if we didn't have him?
Why?

All the other provinces have NIQ 10’s rated higher than ours. Leinster have 4,(Sexton, R Byrne, H Byrne, Frawley) Munster have 3 (Healy, Crowley, Carbery), Connacht have Carty.

There are plenty of 10’s in Irish rugby, ulster haven’t the sense to approach any of them and instead stick with Billy who has failed in key games season, after season.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Last Friday at the Dragons game, Cooney kicked one ball directly to touch from under his posts, ignoring the obvious pass to the ten (who would have had more time). Result, lineout close to the halfway line. Stockdale could do the same to the right touchlines. Billy at best gets 30 metres. Anyone at the Toulouse game will recall Dupont (ok, he is the best player in the game) casually clearing everything from his own 22 to the halfway line, or beyond. The difference this would make to the forwards, especially when we do have a maul attack, would surely be immeasurable. Why do we not send the instruction down to the pitch to do that?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Big-al wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:27 pm
Soda wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:07 pm I'd suspect we absolutely do know it, but there's just no chance of D4 sanctioning an NIQ 10.
And for all BB's shortcomings, can you imagine where we'd be if we didn't have him?
Why?

All the other provinces have NIQ 10’s rated higher than ours. Leinster have 4,(Sexton, R Byrne, H Byrne, Frawley) Munster have 3 (Healy, Crowley, Carbery), Connacht have Carty.

There are plenty of 10’s in Irish rugby, ulster haven’t the sense to approach any of them and instead stick with Billy who has failed in key games season, after season.
:scratch:
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Expecting BB to have some sort of epiphany in terms of ability at his age profile is unlikely in the extreme. He is what he is, with all of his limitations; a URC standard/ EPCR bench option at best, with undoubted guts and resilience but not an option to take us to the latter stages of Europe or a game changer who can unlock the latent potential in our back line. There seems to be no plans to increase depth at UR I can see, but lump along with what we've got.
Exterminate all rational thought
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Doak would be my choice at 10 given our current options
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

Big-al wrote:
Why?

(Think you're confusing NIQ's with IQ's)
Sadly decent Irish fly halves don't seem overly keen on a move to Belfast - witness Joey a few years ago

jacothelad
Novice

Post by jacothelad »

Soda wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:15 pm
Big-al wrote:
Why?

(Think you're confusing NIQ's with IQ's)
Sadly decent Irish fly halves don't seem overly keen on a move to Belfast - witness Joey a few years ago

If you'll pardon the tortured pun, on Joey, we dodged a 'ballet' rather than a bullet.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Joey's a natural 15, a forced 10
Exterminate all rational thought
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

3 factors against one of the Leinster 10's heading north for next season :-

1) we've already seen leinster URC players getting the nod ahead of ulster 1st choice players for Ireland call ups. Harry Byrne has never been higher than 3rd choice for leinster yet has been called up a few times.

2) concerns over whether they will be given a decent chance unless Burns is injured. Witness Flannery, Madigan, Bill Johnston.

3) most importantly : With Sexton gone they'll see a gap for top dog and not just back up. Ross Byrne is a decent but limited player and they'll all think they have a chance of usurping him.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

In prendergasts case there would be the advantage to early promotion to a senior contract at ulster versus his academy contract at leinster or whatever he's on. There's a big financial difference especially for a young cub.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

If ulster could sign Richie Mo'unga he'd still only be picked when Burns was injured.

Alternatives are given no game time unless BB gets injured and then get dropped straightaway because they performed below the level of Dan Carter on the 2005 Lions tour. If someone else couldn't get a game at home vs Dragons there is no hope.

We now totally rely on BB, not because he's good but because you can't expect another 10 to come in and play well with zero gametime.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

BB mystically had his opportunity in a green shirt as well. Cant say his Ulster form ever waranted it but he had his chance nonetheless. Given his Ulsterness he will never be forgiven for the missed touch penalty though
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Deraless wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:36 pm BB mystically had his opportunity in a green shirt as well. Cant say his Ulster form ever waranted it but he had his chance nonetheless. Given his Ulsterness he will never be forgiven for the missed touch penalty though
Unfortunately it will be his legacy.
Fecking up a match winning score in the European Cup will be Freddie's.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall