Ulster v Connacht

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Connacht

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:
big mervyn wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:48 am
Dave wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:48 pm He'll be back. He's one of us now. A total class act. He forks out a clean fortune to support Ulster home and away. Some people illegally stream the games in their parent's basement. Not even a viaplay sub to their name.

SUFTUM
What have I missed?

Has Justin done a flounce?

Feckin hope not. I don't want to be the only Lionel in this parish
Don’t worry Merv.

I’ve been catching up on a few jobs. Watching Ulster home and away, and chronicling it on here, is quite time consuming.

I’ve also managed to do the rounds, flitting seamlessly from rubbing shoulders with the Belfast glitterati at the Grand Opera House (Mr Hooley himself, Pamela Ballantine and Mike from Mike’s Fancy Cheese) to touching base with my inner culchie at the Balmoral Show.

I imagine both events were available on subscription TV but Lord knows I do love the smell of the greasepaint and the roar of the crowd. I shall ignore the obvious gag for fear of upsetting my in-laws, but I’m now the proud owner of a bottle of gin from County Tyrone, some eels and trout from Lough Neagh and four 100ml cans, ingeniously enough, of malt whiskey from, I think, Newry.

On the basis that I’m even more of a Lionel than you, I have been waiting for a true son of Ulster to deliver the verdict on this season’s denouement and I’m delighted to note that El Baggy Trousers has now obliged on the “End of the road for Dan??” thread. And what a damned wise man he truly is.

Personally, I may also have highlighted the entitled element of the Ulster fanbase, who seem to expect knockout rugby every season and then complain when we get knocked out, and the not dissimilar bunch who’ve failed to notice that the home path to a final is not drawn randomly but, in fact, delivered by the very same coaching staff that they denigrate for not lining our trophy cabinet.

I see some progress has now been made on the forum, in terms of the suggestion that maybe supporting Ulster isn’t quite as bad as it’s made out, in the context of Leinster’s silverware struggles (not to mention, of course, the bulk of the URC we finished above or the Prem teams that fail to pay their players on time or at all).

I shall, of course, be renewing my season ticket, just as I shall for my for Lancastrian football team, who haven’t played in the top flight since 1961, and that I very rarely get to see these days.

It’s the hope that kills you.
ImageImageImageImageImage

The twerps on this board will continue to expect knockout rugby. They are deluded freaks. I for one do not expect any rugby of any kind. For a variety of reasons, from prop shortages to frozen plastic pitches. Therefore I will not renew my viaplay sub. Nothing to do with being jobless. I just do not expect to see it. Enjoy the booze.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

justinr73 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:14 am
Dave wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:48 pm He'll be back. He's one of us now. A total class act. He forks out a clean fortune to support Ulster home and away. Some people illegally stream the games in their parent's basement. Not even a viaplay sub to their name.

SUFTUM
What have I missed?

Don’t worry Merv.

I’ve been catching up on a few jobs. Watching Ulster home and away, and chronicling it on here, is quite time consuming.

I’ve also managed to do the rounds, flitting seamlessly from rubbing shoulders with the Belfast glitterati at the Grand Opera House (Mr Hooley himself, Pamela Ballantine and Mike from Mike’s Fancy Cheese) to touching base with my inner culchie at the Balmoral Show.

I imagine both events were available on subscription TV but Lord knows I do love the smell of the greasepaint and the roar of the crowd. I shall ignore the obvious gag for fear of upsetting my in-laws, but I’m now the proud owner of a bottle of gin from County Tyrone, some eels and trout from Lough Neagh and four 100ml cans, ingeniously enough, of malt whiskey from, I think, Newry.

On the basis that I’m even more of a Lionel than you, I have been waiting for a true son of Ulster to deliver the verdict on this season’s denouement and I’m delighted to note that El Baggy Trousers has now obliged on the “End of the road for Dan??” thread. And what a damned wise man he truly is.

Personally, I may also have highlighted the entitled element of the Ulster fanbase, who seem to expect knockout rugby every season and then complain when we get knocked out, and the not dissimilar bunch who’ve failed to notice that the home path to a final is not drawn randomly but, in fact, delivered by the very same coaching staff that they denigrate for not lining our trophy cabinet.

I see some progress has now been made on the forum, in terms of the suggestion that maybe supporting Ulster isn’t quite as bad as it’s made out, in the context of Leinster’s silverware struggles (not to mention, of course, the bulk of the URC we finished above or the Prem teams that fail to pay their players on time or at all).

I shall, of course, be renewing my season ticket, just as I shall for my for Lancastrian football team, who haven’t played in the top flight since 1961, and that I very rarely get to see these days.

"Entitled". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's hard to believe you wrote this with a straight face. How could anyone who supports Ulster, a team that never wins anything, be entitled? I mean, after that absolute disgrace against Connacht, continuing our long tradition of absolutely blowing it in any big game, how do you actually continue trying to make excuses. Like night follows day, when it comes down to it Ulster will let you down. But apparently, if you're annoyed by this you're "entitled".

"maybe supporting Ulster isn’t quite as bad as it’s made out". Get a grip. Honestly, some Ulster supporters have the team of losers that they deserve. You can celebrate continued mediocrity all you want, maybe you enjoy being the bridesmaid but never the bride, maybe you enjoy being the butt of all jokes.

You can hold that 2nd place finish up as something to celebrate if you want, celebrating being almost-the-best does seem quintessentially Ulster. "Almost" could be the new club motto.

I think many are fed up with it.

That performance from Munster on Saturday, the grittiness, the hanging in there against the best team in the league. Turning the ball over on their own try line after a Leinster onslaught, going up the field in the 78th minute to knock over a drop goal. Ulster do not have that sort of performance in their locker, there is absolutely no way Ulster win that game. This should be very alarming to Ulster supporters.

The talk of us missing out on a home final is wide of the mark, to get a home final we'd have had to beat Leinster, and in true Ulster fashion we'd have rolled over to have our bellies tickled.

But apparently, it's "not that bad". At least we aren't Welsh or something.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Don’t worry Merv.

:thumright: Excellent.

Balmoral Show eh? Haven't been to that since I was at school back in the days when the leafy suburbs of S Belfast used to resound to the sound of shyte and the smell of farmers. I hear they're charging £25 to get in. A bit rich in a cost of living crisis when half the people there are flogging stuff.

Btw Did Arlene get a rosette?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

thecrouch wrote:

SUFTUM
What have I missed?

Don’t worry Merv.

"Entitled". Image Image Image Image

It's hard to believe you wrote this with a straight face. How could anyone who supports Ulster, a team that never wins anything, be entitled? I mean, after that absolute disgrace against Connacht, continuing our long tradition of absolutely blowing it in any big game, how do you actually continue trying to make excuses. Like night follows day, when it comes down to it Ulster will let you down. But apparently, if you're annoyed by this you're "entitled".

"maybe supporting Ulster isn’t quite as bad as it’s made out". Get a grip. Honestly, some Ulster supporters have the team of losers that they deserve. You can celebrate continued mediocrity all you want, maybe you enjoy being the bridesmaid but never the bride, maybe you enjoy being the butt of all jokes.

You can hold that 2nd place finish up as something to celebrate if you want, celebrating being almost-the-best does seem quintessentially Ulster. "Almost" could be the new club motto.

That performance from Munster on Saturday, the grittiness, the hanging in there against the best team in the league. Turning the ball over on their own try line after a Leinster onslaught, going up the field in the 78th minute to knock over a drop goal. Ulster do not have that sort of performance in their locker, there is absolutely no way Ulster win that game. This should be very alarming to Ulster supporters.

The talk of us missing out on a home final is wide of the mark, to get a home final we'd have had to beat Leinster, and in true Ulster fashion we'd have rolled over to have our bellies tickled.

To get a home final we would have had to beat connacht and the stormers at ravenhill. Both of which we have done this year very comfortably (team selections notwithstanding for stormers).
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

jean valjean wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:23 pm
thecrouch wrote:

SUFTUM
What have I missed?

Don’t worry Merv.

To get a home final we would have had to beat connacht and the stormers at ravenhill. Both of which we have done this year very comfortably (team selections notwithstanding for stormers).
Sorry, you are of course correct.

Though you'd have to be a brave man to back us none the less.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

thecrouch wrote:
jean valjean wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:23 pm
thecrouch wrote:
big mervyn wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:48 am What have I missed?

Don’t worry Merv.

Sorry, you are of course correct.

Though you'd have to be a brave man to back us none the less.
And herein lies the frustration. Most ulster fans know we were a long shot at winning a trophy and need a lot to go our way, e.g. home matches and someone to take out Leinster. This all happened, but we fluffed the lines we were in control of.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Fs since when was it too much to expect knockout rugby?? All you have to do is finish 8th in the league and win 1 match in Europe! Hardly mission impossible is it. Few on here turning into the ulster are brill ballbags on bakebook.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Lionel's and sofa surfers telling us what to think and even what to wear. Jokeshop.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

For once I'm not going to respond apart from agreeing with:
Crouchie
Dave
HT
JVJ

Thanks for saving me the bother.
Justin are you still an armchair poster on the 42? Some of your best work it must be said >appl :D :red:
Sure it's only a rugby forum and opinions- regardless we can all still be "Fwends" as they said in the Inbetweeners, that one time.
:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Exterminate all rational thought
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

HammerTime wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:46 pm Fs since when was it too much to expect knockout rugby?? All you have to do is finish 8th in the league and win 1 match in Europe! Hardly mission impossible is it. Few on here turning into the ulster are brill ballbags on bakebook.
Exactly.

You can literally finish mid table in this league and get knockout rugby. And it turns out, you can finish mid-table, travel to the apparent 2nd best team in the league and humiliate them.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:08 pm

Don’t worry Merv.

:thumright: Excellent.

Balmoral Show eh? Haven't been to that since I was at school back in the days when the leafy suburbs of S Belfast used to resound to the sound of shyte and the smell of farmers. I hear they're charging £25 to get in. A bit rich in a cost of living crisis when half the people there are flogging stuff.

Btw Did Arlene get a rosette?
Aye, £25 a ticket.

Thought the same, although it didn’t put many people off - it was packed.

Pretty impressive event tbf. Good shuttle service from Lisburn station.

Louis said hello. Didn’t see Hond so they must have finally ground him up.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Milo could only dream of having one of these

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... gSCpTkwfgl