Petries Answering Questions

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Petries Answering Questions

Post by Big-al »

Cockatrice wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:26 am For me the Academy is failing and not producing anything much bar the very odd exception .. was Henderson the last forward to make an Irish regular…

You can bring 8 -16 in but if all are likely to be in a normal
Job by 25 because they can’t make it at rugby is it the system or that fact that we simply don’t have the talent
The academy is only a finishing school. The real problems lie before they reach the a academy.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:08 pm Remember when every Heineken Cup match was hugely anticipated and easily a sellout, rugby just isn't as exciting any more as a product never mind Ulster's version of it
Lack of actual Ulster born/bred coaches and players don’t help things.

There would be a better turnout if there was a decent pack of homegrown forwards taking it to the opposition.

Also I think people are still disillusioned with Ulster rugby since Paddy/Stuart got the sack. Ravenhill hasn’t been the same since.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Agree on both those points Al.
Doubt in my lifetime I'll see another All Ulster BR of the quality of Wilson Best and Ferris. As for locks...... Before Ferris, only Caldwell back to Boat? Pish
Exterminate all rational thought
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Just read Petrie's interview in the BT, one thing that jumped out of me, was this in terms of the frozen pitch.
We’ve never had anything like that before. We recognise there are things we could have done better. There are things that EPCR could have done better.
I appreciate Ulster rugby's invitation for anyone with a leaf blower handy to come down and help try and thaw out the pitch was before his time, but surely as an organisation any lessons learnt from it, shouldn't need to be relearnt any time your CEO changes?
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:41 am So that’s two freak wins for Munster against Stormers in Cape Town now then?!
Nope, the first win was not expected, by anyone except perhaps the Munster team at that time. The second win, the final, was actually forecast by most people north of the equator. Kinda misses my point that, in my opinion, repeatedly mentioning that we finished the regular season one place better in the league than last year, is a busted flush. The performances against two totally unmotivated teams in the critical last two games of the season, Dragons and Edinburgh, were indicative of dysfunction within the set up.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Marco wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:13 pm
justinr73 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:41 am So that’s two freak wins for Munster against Stormers in Cape Town now then?!
Nope, the first win was not expected, by anyone except perhaps the Munster team at that time. The second win, the final, was actually forecast by most people north of the equator. Kinda misses my point that, in my opinion, repeatedly mentioning that we finished the regular season one place better in the league than last year, is a busted flush. The performances against two totally unmotivated teams in the critical last two games of the season, Dragons and Edinburgh, were indicative of dysfunction within the set up.
The only benefit to finishing 2nd in the regular season is getting a home quarter final. If you get a home quarter final, and then decide not to bother turning up for it, then crowing about how you finished 2nd is incredibly small time (which, in fairness, suits Ulster Rugby perfectly).

Doubt you'll find many Leinster fans celebrating them topping the regular season table.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Marco wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:13 pm
100%
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I mean if you’re getting upset about a team cruising to 40 19 and 28 14 wins in second gear, then I’m not sure sport is really for you.

Or maybe my expectations are set too low, given that my other season ticket is for a side that has finished 12th, 13th, 13th, 9th and 14th in the last five seasons in the second division and hasn’t played in the top flight since 1961?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Just read Petrie's interview in the BT, one thing that jumped out of me, was this in terms of the frozen pitch.
We’ve never had anything like that before. We recognise there are things we could have done better. There are things that EPCR could have done better.
I appreciate Ulster rugby's invitation for anyone with a leaf blower handy to come down and help try and thaw out the pitch was before his time, but surely as an organisation any lessons learnt from it, shouldn't need to be relearnt any time your CEO changes?
[/quote]

Sorry to harp on but UR terminated all the ground staff employment and didn’t replace them before this debacle … that in turn lead to no knowledge being available with the stadium on what was coming when the temperature dropped…

We all remember the leaf blowing jokeshop except no one give Jonnie the memo.. then there was the fact that Ravenhill is a micro climate statement…

If I got rid of my gardener and as a result of a cold spell a month later choose to ignore the forecast then complain it was everyone’s fault but mine I’m sure I’d be told to wise up… UR created a problem by getting rid then choose to ignore the obvious weather forecasts then two days before turned all the floodlights on hoping to defrost the pitch .. who is to blame?
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:49 pm I mean if you’re getting upset about a team cruising to 40 19 and 28 14 wins in second gear, then I’m not sure sport is really for you.

Or maybe my expectations are set too low, given that my other season ticket is for a side that has finished 12th, 13th, 13th, 9th and 14th in the last five seasons in the second division and hasn’t played in the top flight since 1961?
You make a good point, Justin. How do teams that consistently finish up lower down the table cpntinue to attract fans? It's not about winning, it's about the excitement of the game. Maybe supporting a weaker team leads to going to every game knowing that it may well be another defeat but also knowing that this week, it might, it just might be different. Little sense of disappointment but some glorious wins. That's why supporting the Northern Ireland football team is so good. SUFT other UM!

I think we should recognise that Leinster are freaks and we are what a pretty good regional team looks like in any of the URC countries. If anyone has the time, what would the URC table have looked like over the past few years if Leinster were removed from the competition?
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

It's not where Ulster finished that made it a difficult season of me but the manner of the wins brought on by a change to a forward oriented style without big carriers and possibly because we had a problem at out half which I would say still exists. Ulsters backs the previous season were pressing for positions in the Ireland team. Some injuries and a change in style and they are gone. In fact this season they made no real impact.
Petries focus on players coming through from the academy is a bit after the horse has bolted but many of us have been screaming for this for some time so long as they show effort. Lets not be hanging judges if the results don't go our way this year but celebrate IF the players appear to be capable of defending their patch and being aggressive and all of the things we now eventually see in Munster which we wanted for ourselves.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Ulster supporters are pished off at another capitulation.

I know Petrie has to remain to a certain degree, professional and managerial. But I would love to see some anger, frustration, and general acceptance that where the club is at, is simply not good enough.

SLogan, for all his many faults (and his lack of execution), at least had a bit of ambition when he was talking about making Ulster the biggest club in the world etc. :lol:

Trying to justify this season as an improvement because we came 2nd instead of 3rd, and scored more tries etc., is laughable. Amateur stuff.

Get pished off, get angry, and get to work fixing the feckin problem!
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Once Petrie appoints the coaches, with Bryn there does Petrie really make any decisions on the professional side of Ulster Rugby?

The question what is your biggest achievement in the past 5 years is an embarrassment of an answer, can he not even give specific things that he himself has achieved for Ulster Rugby?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:49 pm I mean if you’re getting upset about a team cruising to 40 19 and 28 14 wins in second gear, then I’m not sure sport is really for you.

I'm not sure we were in second gear Justin. Rather we were struggling and even Dragons exposed our vulnerability. Edinburgh were well on top until their 10 hit the self destruct in a disgraceful display for an international FH. We struggled badly for long periods in both games. We were as our form and season long weaknesses led us.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:06 pm

I'm not sure we were in second gear Justin. Rather we were struggling and even Dragons exposed our vulnerability. Edinburgh were well on top until their 10 hit the self destruct in a disgraceful display for an international FH. We struggled badly for long periods in both games. We were as our form and season long weaknesses led us.
Ravenhill. Friday April 21st.

Posh Scottish accent : Hi. How are you?

Gruff North Dublin accent : Grand, like.

Posh Scottish accent : Glad to hear it. Looking forward to the play-offs?

Gruff North Dublin accent : Sure, like.

Posh Scottish accent : Well look. We’re all booked on a flight to Dubai on Sunday for a bit of post-season R and R. It’d be awful if we got too banged up tonight and I’m sure all your chaps wouldn’t mind taking it easy before the quarter final <wink>

Gruff North Dublin accent: Erm, what are you sayin’ like?

Posh Scottish accent : Well, I understand we’ve sold a few season tickets after giving old Alun Wyn and his boyos a bit of a spanking last week. Why don’t you let Darcy over in the corner early doors to fool the punters and we’ll take care of the rest for you?

Gruff North Dublin accent : Erm…

Posh Scottish accent : And tell Coons to keep his eye out just after half time.

Gruff North Dublin accent : I’m going to fookin strangle you.

Posh Scottish accent : Well just don’t do it too hard, OK? I don’t want you ruining my Insta pics next week….