Ulster v Munster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ulster v Munster

Post by kingofthehill »

McIlroy has broken his cheek or eye socket from what I hear.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Hard to see exactly but mcilroy appeared to hit his head off dalys thigh / knee also which probably caused most of the damage. Tough break on the kid, expect an extended period of rest required now.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:33 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:49 pm
Evil Kiwi wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:21 pm RIP the rolling maul. It pitch has weakened the efficacy of Ulster's only WMD...discuss:
Not getting the throw and lifters coordinated properly has banjaxed Ulster's only WMD . . . and not just at Ravenspan.

Our lineout has been nothing short of a shambles when we face a team with one or two much taller players.

Either that or we get read too easily.

Or both.
Indeed Cap'n. Absolute sh*show and even Herring succumbed.Stewarts throwing has been consistently average, but we've coughed at key pressure moments. Same last year so things haven't improved
I'd go so far as to say we've got worse since last year. Much worse.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:55 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:33 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:49 pm
Evil Kiwi wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:21 pm RIP the rolling maul. It pitch has weakened the efficacy of Ulster's only WMD...discuss:
Not getting the throw and lifters coordinated properly has banjaxed Ulster's only WMD . . . and not just at Ravenspan.

Our lineout has been nothing short of a shambles when we face a team with one or two much taller players.

Either that or we get read too easily.

Or both.
Indeed Cap'n. Absolute sh*show and even Herring succumbed.Stewarts throwing has been consistently average, but we've coughed at key pressure moments. Same last year so things haven't improved
I'd go so far as to say we've got worse since last year. Much worse.
You haven't gone far enough.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:19 pm With regards to the improvement in the scrum when Scott Wilson came on, one of things I have since been wondering is how much of the difference might be attributed to the extra ballast in the back five and Rob Herring coming on at the same time. Scrummaging ability isn't something hookers ever really seem to be judged on, but having one whose good at it makes a big difference for the props. I remember Rory Best talking about how he felt it was one of the big strengths of his game. I've never heard anyone discuss the relative strengths of Herring and Stewart there, but if Rob has an edge in that department it could be a factor in him still seemingly being higher up the pecking order for Ulster and Ireland.

Still would like to see much more of young Wilson and part of the reason I want it to be sooner rather than later, is I'm not sure how much of a look in he will get if Moore, TOT, French and Warwick are all in the mix.
I'll have a go at that one MR.

When M Rea went off it coincided with a huge boost to back 5/ hooker bulk and experience. TH especially relies on hooker, flanker and SR locking him in place and keeping him straight. Flanker drives in on his hips: indeed a good left/ right ( do we still play open/blind? Lol :scratch: ) will also follow through on opposition LH/ flanker if the nudge goes on or it collapses deliberately to muddy the waters. So Scott did a great job- especially keeping straight/ turning in slightly on their hooker, but massively assisted by Hendo, Flanker (think it was Ewers as we were playing toward the Memorial end) and Herring who is a very strong scrummager- Herrings bind is very tight, so as long as Wilsons technique was sound ( it was), pressure went onto their hooker, splitting their front row, and enabling EOS ( Who put in a shift) /Ulster to drive Munster back and wheel on Archer, enabling Timoneys pick and drive.Wycherly was split on the penalty Wilson also got. There is no doubt he bested Wycherly and their replacement hooker with Herring. He wouldn't have got the same change out of Loughman, and their pack was also more experienced when McGrath was roasted. There is no doubt we are holding on by the skin of our teeth at TH atm. JTA shown to be more and more ludicrous. Lions will be a serious test.

Edit: just watched the scrums back.: Mcgrath had Stewart, Treadwell and Rea locking him down vs Loughman and Barron etc . Wilson had Ewers Hendo and Herring vs Wycherly and their sub hooker, plus much changed locks- Ahern? Big difference- Mcgrath needs the same pack behind him to judge him fairly in fairness. That's next week!
So the perspective is; great debut but with sensible caveats and moderation of expectation. But from what I could see his initial technique is good, which is important. He however needs a graduated introduction. We've been here before with Macklin, Taylor, McCall and Kane, who were great prospects but criminally didn't kick on/ gave it up- part of which has been down to poor development by UR as at least 1 should've made it, imo. >flog
Exterminate all rational thought
Horse15
Novice

Post by Horse15 »

Nice one.
Wilson carried well too which was great to see on a debut.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Horse15 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:09 pm Nice one.
Wilson carried well too which was great to see on a debut.
Agreed
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Did Wilson not have a couple of scrums before ewers came on?
Have always felt THPs are at a disadvantage in scrums on the left hand side of the pitch where they normally have the openside on their flank, who more often than not has their head up looking for the break or pass off the scrum and not able to fully commit to the push.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He certainly came on about ten minutes before Big Dave.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:40 pm Did Wilson not have a couple of scrums before ewers came on?
Have always felt THPs are at a disadvantage in scrums on the left hand side of the pitch where they normally have the openside on their flank, who more often than not has their head up looking for the break or pass off the scrum and not able to fully commit to the push.
Think one against Loughman. Came on with Herring and Hendo. Ewers soon after. The advent of left and right and bigger back row forwards has helped negate the trad openside a bit i think. Look at SA with PSDT for example. Munster initially felt it advantageous to keep it in for the scrum pens until Casey broke and scored anyway.
The old openside 7 picked to break quickly in support or to disrupt an attack, but if the balls kept in on an all 8 drive/ wheel, he's goosed. Horses for courses if you think you've either a dominant or lightweight pack I suppose. We finishes with Timoney, Ewers and McCann who became effectively a 7.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

24-year-old Jake Flannery has made a brilliant start to the season for Ulster at the outhalf position, but he's also one of the smartest people in Irish rugby: he received 625 points on his Leaving Cert and completed his degree in chemical engineering this autumn.

From Balls. ie
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Maybe that’s why he played little rugby last year?

I think he’ll finish the season as first choice.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

It’ll be interesting to listen to this week’s podcasts.

To date, Rowntree has been allowed to get away with setting the narrative, and making his excuses, before the game.

Was there anything to stop Munster “targeting” the fixture?

Did Dan whinge about Connacht targeting the fixture last week?

Does Rowntree not realise that the only reason Munster sneaked through the semis by a point was because Leinster targeted the La Rochelle game and picked the B team?

Someone absolute rubbish talked and written in the last week or so and I was particularly disappointed with Bradley for jumping on the bash Ulster bandwagon on the Left Wing pod.

There’s no reason why Ulster can’t be in the mix this season, particularly if Ravenhill can pump up the volume,which is partially dependent on speeding up the pathetically slow service at the bar.

Maybe some artificial turf would help?
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Can see what you are saying but for too long journalists and ex-players have all to frequently been part of the ulster are brill brigade. I know many don't like Ferris but I like the fact he isn't afraid to get stuck into individuals or the team as a whole when they aren't at that standard required. Which for Ulster is quite often.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Sure but I’d expect JB to at least put up a fight on enemy soil; when it gets to the point that Luke Fitzgerald is coming to the defence of the Ulster players then there’s something off somewhere!