Ulster v Lions

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

MightyRearranger
Warrior

Ulster v Lions

Post by MightyRearranger »

Thought j might as well create a topic for this one given its less than two days away. The fourth Irish province meet the fourth best SA Team :stir:

Bookies have Ulster as 13 point favourites and you'd be hoping for a good win. I'm curious to see how Dan juggles selection over the next few weeks, will we try and bank our two home games or rotate and go to Glasgow full strength to try and give us our best shot from getting 3 from 3.

Not too familiar with most of the Lions squad, though the 'bone collector' made an appearance last week, so might be able to tick him off the list. He was an absolute beast in his pomp.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Re: Ulster v Lions

Post by thecrouch »

I think McCann for example has played every game so far (and played way longer than intended in Galway), so I wouldn't be surprised to see some rotation here.

McCann, based on his performances so far, is getting to that stage where his league game time will be managed to ensure he's fit for Europe.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

I'd go:

Warwick
Herring
Wilson
Hendy (off at 50mins)
Treaders
Sheridan
Crothers (if fit)/McCann (off at 50mins for anybody who's name doesn't rhyme with Tatty Fay or Schmeg Bones)
Ewers
Cooney
Flannery
Stockdale (finally looking sharp again, gotta keep playing him)
Stu
Moore
Bob
Addison (is he broken again?) / Lowry (if he's not broken) / A N Other
MightyRearranger
Warrior

I'd expect to see Luke this week, he was the spare back in the warm up against Munster and think he'll be given a chance to stake a claim for the 13 shirt. Not sure when Hume is expected to be back.

I'd also be very surprised to see Croethers so soon after that knock, but would be happy to be wrong. Our first choice back row is fairly self evident at the minute, but there's a bit of a drop off after that (unless Sheridan or Hendo play there) so need someone else to start putting their hand up
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I’d start Hume if fit and Jude if not but, with Moore likely to be 15, there’s no back three cover with a 9,10, Luke bench.

Wouldn’t want to be starting with Ewers at 8 as he hasn’t played there for ten years. We look light there and in genuine back row options generally as you say.

Reffell may be fit one day?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I’d imagine there will be a bit of rotation and then go fully loaded vs Glasgow.

Warwick
Stewart
Wilson
Sheridan
Treadwell
Ewers
Crothers
Timoney
Cooney
Flannery
Moxham
Postlewaithe
Hume
Baloucoune/Lowry
Moore

Herring
EOS
Moore
AOC/Henderson
Rea
Doak
Burns
Stockdale
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

MightyRearranger wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:36 pm I'd expect to see Luke this week, he was the spare back in the warm up against Munster and think he'll be given a chance to stake a claim for the 13 shirt. Not sure when Hume is expected to be back.

I'd also be very surprised to see Croethers so soon after that knock, but would be happy to be wrong. Our first choice back row is fairly self evident at the minute, but there's a bit of a drop off after that (unless Sheridan or Hendo play there) so need someone else to start putting their hand up
Hope we see LM back. Stu and LM are our best centre pairing imo .
If McCann needs rested I'd go Marcus Rea with Sheridan lock) BR cover. Rea seems to be adjusting to his new body shape lol
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:54 am I’d imagine there will be a bit of rotation and then go fully loaded vs Glasgow.

Warwick
Stewart
Wilson
Sheridan
Treadwell
Ewers
Crothers
Timoney
Cooney
Flannery
Moxham
Postlewaithe
Hume
Baloucoune/Lowry
Moore

Herring
EOS
Moore
AOC/Henderson
Rea
Doak
Burns
Stockdale
Fully loaded at Glasgow agreed
Exterminate all rational thought
MightyRearranger
Warrior

(15-9) Stewart Moore, Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Jake Flannery, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring, Scott Wilson, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (C), Dave Ewers, Reuben Crothers, David McCann.

Replacements: John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Marty Moore, Harry Sheridan, Lorcan McLoughlin, John Cooney, Billy Burns, Mike Lowry.

Probably slightly stronger than expected, though some rotation. Brilliant to see Moore back.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Plenty to like there.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Anyone in the know with respect to Lorcan McLoughlin? Not a player who was on my radar.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

MightyRearranger wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:38 pm Anyone in the know with respect to Lorcan McLoughlin? Not a player who was on my radar.
He looked good for the Irish u20s. Don’t know how big he is really, but looked a good carrier at that level. I thinks he is a number 8 or 6. Put number 8 mostly.

Great to see Flannery get another start. Burns has had no competition for 3 seasons, even considering Madigan was supposed back up.
SUFTUM_19
Novice

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think Dan has got the squad selection/rotation spot on so far this season, seems to be more back to the Dan of when he first came in. Last year there were a lot of (justified) complaints of flogging guys who were carrying knocks/not in great form/playing out of position at the expense of other younger players who were seeing practically no game time (the Burns and Flannery situation being a prime example) and there was very minimal squad rotation. There also seemed to be far too much game time given to squad fillers rather than trying out young players.

This season the rotation has been far better - there is good continuity in that it’s not a completely new team each week but there is also good rotation that seems to be operating on an alternate week by week basis (esp Burns and Flannery). It seems like Dan has found a balance of giving players game time who need it but not at the expense of those who deserve it. McCann has been the only player to have started all 5 games, yet he’s been our best player by a mile.

Young players especially aren’t thrown at the deep end in an understrength side and never seen again like the traditional Christmas trip to the RDS, but given managed game time with experienced players around them. Already Scott Wilson, Harry Sheridan, Cormac Izuchukwu, Joe Hopes, Reuben Crothers, McCann, Jake Flannery, Jude Postlethwaite and Ben Carson have seen more game time this season. Hopefully will be able to add Lorcan McLoughlin to that list tomorrow night too.

Last season in the first 5 games, O’Connor started them all, Marcus Rea, Cooney, Burns and Lowry started in all but 1, McCloskey and Marshall was the centre partnership for every game. This season, we haven’t had a same front row, second row, back row, centre or back 3 combination in any of the games.

Hopefully what this means is Dan has taken his learnings from last season and that by the times Europe comes round we have some idea of our best team, but also there is more competition for places than last year. Also great to see Marty Moore back, he is (quite literally) huge for us.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

MightyRearranger wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:38 pm Anyone in the know with respect to Lorcan McLoughlin? Not a player who was on my radar.
Went to Sherborne School in Dorset which, unpromisingly, appears to be about the only public school in England incapable of producing decent sportsmen.

Alumni include Alan Turing, Hugh Bonneville, Chris Martin (Coldplay not the Kiwi fast bowler/rabbit), Boris Johnson’s dad and the great Lance Percival.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Hopefully he'll be decent at working out the opposition line out calls then.