URC: Ulster Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby Sat 2nd Dec 17:15

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: URC: Ulster Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby Sat 2nd Dec 17:15

Post by Deraless »

It looked like Moxham was unable to straighten his leg till he'd had a few sucks of the jungle juice.

Several times I observed one of our mob arrive first at the tackle with the ball lying there inviting them to go for the jackle. Their natural instinct seemed to be to stick their arms in the air and stand at pillar instead, while several of the Embra pack flew horizontally over the ball.

Bobby B of a couple of year ago would have buried that chance in the first half.

Next 2 weeks could be challenging. So we'll probably win them both.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Tel
Novice

Post by Tel »

Disappointing performance yet again. The only way out is to sacrifice this season and infect the team with young blood. Play the likes of Crothers ,Wilson , Sheridan and Sexton. There is nothing to be gained by selecting the likes of Matty ( he does try )Rea or Greg Jones. We will not win anything this season but perhaps we might in the future. Give it a blast. I’d probably start going to the games again. Having said that I doubt if Dan , Bryn , Soper or even JP will agree . Why has one of them if not all been sacrificed for Pienaar however. Does no-one in Ulster Rugby have a conscience ?
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

It will all change in Europe next weekend.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Tel wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:35 am Disappointing performance yet again. The only way out is to sacrifice this season and infect the team with young blood. Play the likes of Crothers ,Wilson , Sheridan and Sexton. There is nothing to be gained by selecting the likes of Matty ( he does try )Rea or Greg Jones. We will not win anything this season but perhaps we might in the future. Give it a blast. I’d probably start going to the games again. Having said that I doubt if Dan , Bryn , Soper or even JP will agree . Why has one of them if not all been sacrificed for Pienaar however. Does no-one in Ulster Rugby have a conscience ?
Greg Jones hasn’t played since February.
Tel
Novice

Post by Tel »

Yes but he’s back playing for ballynahinch …so it’s only a matter of time
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

HwoodMike2umate wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:11 am Point of order. At what time today is it acceptable to start pre match drinking?
In your case?

5 minutes after you stop post-match drinking from the previous game.
:drunken:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:32 pm
justinr73 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:31 am I plan to save the thermals for a colder day.
I plan to in shorts as usual, et sans chaussettes.

I was going to follow your example ... but then I got cold feet
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Tel wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:35 am Disappointing performance yet again. The only way out is to sacrifice this season and infect the team with young blood. Play the likes of Crothers ,Wilson , Sheridan and Sexton. There is nothing to be gained by selecting the likes of Matty ( he does try )Rea or Greg Jones. We will not win anything this season but perhaps we might in the future. Give it a blast. I’d probably start going to the games again. Having said that I doubt if Dan , Bryn , Soper or even JP will agree . Why has one of them if not all been sacrificed for Pienaar however. Does no-one in Ulster Rugby have a conscience ?
None of the youngest backs are up to it imo - bar maybe Postlethwaite. Sexton is sadly filler, bereft of anything but pace we never see. Moxham and McIlroy very average- hate saying it due to their serious injuries- no fault on commmitment, but are D2 standard. Im sure theres better backs in AIL.

Unusually its a young crop of forwards holding some glimmer of hope.
Point of note- McNabny played 6 for Ireland U20? Is he out of position?

Defence coach and forwards coaches need to go. Bring Rory back from US. We are stuck with Dan for now. Players need to front up and get us out of this. But when have we seen this in last 2 decades with Ulster, bar Johann?
Exterminate all rational thought
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Pick the bones out of that! Just grim. Ulster can just bate any optimism outta ye. We're even going full Trump fakenewsy on the official website, "Ulster surged to get 2 points...narrow win by Edinburgh...". My notes to editor: Edinburgh stuffed us for Christmas, outmuscled us and had a coherent attack strategy. Fans voting with their feet, judging by the stands. I'll defer to someone who seems to talk a lot of sense, John Barclay, when he said at the start of the season that Ulster are serial underachievers, looks like that. No doubt the faux confidence will pick up again, but that was pure pants. Doff the cap to the one good nr 10 on the park, Ben should never have been let leave these shores.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Culhane started for Leinster last night at 8 and he was up against the freakishly strong Gleeson last year.

So either he is a 6 or just not considered to be as good an 8 as those two!
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:40 am Point of note- McNabny played 6 for Ireland U20? Is he out of position?
Pretty sure 8 is his preferred position. He was moved to 6 for te U20s so Brian Gleeson (Munster) could play 8. To my eye Gleeson looked like he might be the pick of that crop.

I noticed that Timoney was packing down at 8 on our scrums, but it was McNabney for the defensive ones. Obviously Timoney is a lot more experienced, but McNabneys main strength looks to be carrying so was slightly surprised by that.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:32 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:32 pm
justinr73 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:31 am I plan to save the thermals for a colder day.
I plan to in shorts as usual, et sans chaussettes.

I was going to follow your example ... but then I got cold feet
Don't let the door slam behind ya as yer leaving Merv.

But, amazingly, perhaps, I was quite comfortable last night and no cold feet.

I think its something you get used to. I used to weasr thick thermal socks and my feet were always still cold on a frosty night at Ravers, but not having worn socks for years now, I don't notice the cold anymore. And I feel much better for it.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jetstream wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:15 pm A fish rots from the head down.
actually from the guts outwards (site of most bacteria), but I still liked yer analogy.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:12 pm Hoping to see an improved showing from Addison tonight. It's obvious Dan is trying to get him game time and hopefully that turn of pace / timing will return with a body of training and games under his belt.
I think he showed in small flashes what he used to have.
A bit of the curate's egg performance.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bart S wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:01 pm Was anyone genuinely even the slightest bit surprosed by Matty Rea's performance?
I honestly can't say - I never noticed a performance ...

Oh! now I understand - no I wasn't surprised ....

unless he was doing all the unseen work that we are costantly told about by some....
I'm not arguing -