URC: Ulster Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby Sat 2nd Dec 17:15

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

So It Is
Initiate

Re: URC: Ulster Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby Sat 2nd Dec 17:15

Post by So It Is »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:35 am
Bart S wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:01 pm Was anyone genuinely even the slightest bit surprosed by Matty Rea's performance?
I honestly can't say - I never noticed a performance ...

Oh! now I understand - no I wasn't surprised ....

unless he was doing all the unseen work that we are costantly told about by some....
I saw him hit a dead ruck and slow the Embra ball down, in fairness to him.

Once.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:03 am I’ve walked off the pitch with a broken leg and a ruptured Achilles.

Not at the same time admittedly.
I've walked off a footy pitch with a (partially) ruptured achilles and a broken leg at the same time.

fracture wasn't displaced and only the achilles injury was diagnosed at hospital. The fracture (fibula)was spotted several weeks later at a subsequent visit to A&E, by which time there was callous formation and good healing already underway.

If they missed such a diagnosis these days there'd be a claim for negligence against the hospital, but in them thar days you just walked away thinking, "no long term harm done", but I was lucky.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

So It Is wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:38 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:35 am
Bart S wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:01 pm Was anyone genuinely even the slightest bit surprosed by Matty Rea's performance?
I honestly can't say - I never noticed a performance ...

Oh! now I understand - no I wasn't surprised ....

unless he was doing all the unseen work that we are costantly told about by some....
I saw him hit a dead ruck and slow the Embra ball down, in fairness to him.

Once.
Ah bless!!!!!

It's a Christmas miracle . . . >appl

. . . or is it just a Christmas fairy tale? :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

So another serious injury on the new pitch
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:52 am Culhane started for Leinster last night at 8 and he was up against the freakishly strong Gleeson last year.

So either he is a 6 or just not considered to be as good an 8 as those two!
Both?
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Marco wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:46 am Pick the bones out of that! Just grim. Ulster can just bate any optimism outta ye. We're even going full Trump fakenewsy on the official website, "Ulster surged to get 2 points...narrow win by Edinburgh...". My notes to editor: Edinburgh stuffed us for Christmas, outmuscled us and had a coherent attack strategy. Fans voting with their feet, judging by the stands. I'll defer to someone who seems to talk a lot of sense, John Barclay, when he said at the start of the season that Ulster are serial underachievers, looks like that. No doubt the faux confidence will pick up again, but that was pure pants. Doff the cap to the one good nr 10 on the park, Ben should never have been let leave these shores.
We start Rea, and Edinburgh spring Hamish from the bench... that there
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:00 am
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:40 am Point of note- McNabny played 6 for Ireland U20? Is he out of position?
Pretty sure 8 is his preferred position. He was moved to 6 for te U20s so Brian Gleeson (Munster) could play 8. To my eye Gleeson looked like he might be the pick of that crop.

I noticed that Timoney was packing down at 8 on our scrums, but it was McNabney for the defensive ones. Obviously Timoney is a lot more experienced, but McNabneys main strength looks to be carrying so was slightly surprised by that.
Nothing surprises me about UR selections these days MR
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

“The answer lies in going away and training at a level that you expect the highest standards,” he said of his side’s uneven seven-game stretch to start the season.

“Training is easier than a match in the physical sense of it, not in the speed sense of it, but in the physical sense. We need to improve the level of our training. That’s the bottom line. All of us need to pick up and drive forward.

“We trained really well on Thursday but we didn’t train very well on Tuesday. Training has been a little bit up and down. A lot of that is down to the cohesion element. There’s been a lot of chop and change, also changing the way that we’re playing."

What a load of horse shiite from McFarland. Why can't McFarland, Bell, Soper, Cunningham and Co take personal responsibility for this mess? What exactly does Petrie do, now that he has stopped spending his days surfing on X?
I hate LeicesterTigers for not appointing Mc Farland as Head Coach and taking him away to feck out of this Province.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

A grim lifeless performance but --- a Hume try? disallowed --and two conversions short of a win -- and lost to two penalties awarded for non release ??? I believe on both occasions the whistle was quick and on both occasions the Ulster Scrum Half had hands on the ball small points but the fact is Ulster were terrible to watch too many half tackles too many uncontested rucks not just when defending but in attack .

Too many players getting isolated a bad mix of failure to Pod or support the ball carrier when he softly when to ground -- when isolated you should try to stay on your feet as long as possible .

Who had a good game for Ulster --- ??
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Horse15
Novice

Post by Horse15 »

jean valjean wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:41 pm
solidarity wrote:Despite our hurt feelings, we are the fourth Province.
Is part of our game plan (a) not to consistently retain the ball after a tackle and (b) to scrupulously avoid going for a turnover at the breakdown (c) to attack as individuals, rather than as a team?

Has Rob Baloucoune lost confidence in his turn of speed?

Jamie Ritchie is brill
Coming up on 4 years since baloucoune scored against racing 92 in a breakout season. Can anyone say he has developed significantly since then? The guy should have 20+ caps by now and a world cup under his belt. Who is to blame for this waste of talent?

Balouconne, never had a rugby brain, positional play is poor and granted he has speed but decision making has always been very poor. Other options needed. We are trying to turn athletes into rugby players same view on Sexton.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

How on earth can Dan not see the irony in criticising players for lack of intensity in training when that's the coaches job to ensure?
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Deraless wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:58 am How on earth can Dan not see the irony in criticising players for lack of intensity in training when that's the coaches job to ensure?
Yep 100%. Back to the culture of mediocrity thing. Wouldn't be allowed to happen in the other 3 Provinces
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Jetstream wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:15 pm A fish rots from the head down.
actually from the guts outwards (site of most bacteria), but I still liked yer analogy.
Ulster has no guts though. So maybe it still works??
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Jetstream wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:07 am “The answer lies in going away and training at a level that you expect the highest standards,” he said of his side’s uneven seven-game stretch to start the season.

“Training is easier than a match in the physical sense of it, not in the speed sense of it, but in the physical sense. We need to improve the level of our training. That’s the bottom line. All of us need to pick up and drive forward.

“We trained really well on Thursday but we didn’t train very well on Tuesday. Training has been a little bit up and down. A lot of that is down to the cohesion element. There’s been a lot of chop and change, also changing the way that we’re playing."

What a load of horse shiite from McFarland. Why can't McFarland, Bell, Soper, Cunningham and Co take personal responsibility for this mess? What exactly does Petrie do, now that he has stopped spending his days surfing on X?
I hate LeicesterTigers for not appointing Mc Farland as Head Coach and taking him away to feck out of this Province.
I'm surprised we're not all making more of this article. Publically calling out the squad for a coaching responsibility again. He's done this before and we've had rumours of dressing room discontent. Some amateur psychologist eh?
I really hope this is the death knell for DFs tenure, where his position becomes untenable. Wonder can Diamond Dave get FIRFU to give us a Turnip style bailout manager wise? Is Mark getting bored with success at Sorries C U Next Tuesdays?
Attendances down don't lie.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jetstream wrote:“The answer lies in going away and training at a level that you expect the highest standards,” he said of his side’s uneven seven-game stretch to start the season.

This reminds of the nonsensical deflective crap Les Kids used to come up...before he was sacked. Maybe it gives us some hope.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?