Dan’s Not the Man.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Tighthead Prod wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:38 pm
big mervyn wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:16 pm
Dave wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:44 pm
Deraless wrote:I wonder would Aki, JGP, Hansen and Lowe et al have flourished under recent Ulster coaching tickets had they had this misfortune to end up here? They landed on these shores essentially as glorified journeymen and have been improved. Compare and contrast our mob who, at best, get a sympathy cap for the middle Autumn International. Would Stockdale Hume or McCloskey have faired better in Dublin? Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't have?

I
We wouldn't have identified the talent in the first place. Case in point when Bealham landed in Belfast trying to secure a trial or something to that effect.
Bealham was the closest thing to an Ulsterman in France. I believe he qualified through a Fermanagh granny. Wonder why he isn't in the 23 for Wales? :scratch:
I understand that Bealham was in and around the Ulster set up in 2010/2011 when he first came across from Australia. However he was not offered a place in the Academy but was later picked up by Connacht who offered him a place in their academy where he flourished. When in Belfast I understand Bealham may have been playing for Belfast Harlequin 2s ; I hope the Connacht talent scout got a big bonus !!!
Face didn't fit til he moved.....
Exterminate all rational thought
Sir Ivor
Novice

Post by Sir Ivor »

I heard a comment on tv I think, or maybe I dreamt it, that Ulster did not finish lower than fourth in the league in the six years Dan was in charge. Could someone with all the stats advise if that is true please?

If it is true could fans say what level of performance they expect from the incoming head coach, whoever that is. I suppose they’ll have to finish at least second or maybe third each year to avoid the abuse heaped on the likes of Dan, Kiss, Anscombe, Doak and Clarke, Williams and most of all, McCall.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Sir Ivor wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:25 am I heard a comment on tv I think, or maybe I dreamt it, that Ulster did not finish lower than fourth in the league in the six years Dan was in charge. Could someone with all the stats advise if that is true please?

If it is true could fans say what level of performance they expect from the incoming head coach, whoever that is. I suppose they’ll have to finish at least second or maybe third each year to avoid the abuse heaped on the likes of Dan, Kiss, Anscombe, Doak and Clarke, Williams and most of all, McCall.
So for 2018/19 - 2020/21, it was a two conference system and Ulster finished 2nd in their conference behind Leinster.

In the URC era, finished 3rd in 2021/22 and 2nd in 2022/23.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Sir Ivor wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:25 am I heard a comment on tv I think, or maybe I dreamt it, that Ulster did not finish lower than fourth in the league in the six years Dan was in charge. Could someone with all the stats advise if that is true please?

In Dan's era the rugby World invented a new verb "to ulster" which means the same thing as plucking defeat from the jaws of victory. It is used beyond these shores now and its absolutely mortifying. Its worse because its a fair observation. If we can stop or at least reduce the amount of games we ulster I'll count the next coach a success.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

I'm in work so don't have the time to look myself, but could one of our workshy contributors count the number of games we've Ulstered in the last 2 years by lunchtime for our review?

Much appreciated.