Dan’s Not the Man.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Columbo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:51 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote:
justinr73 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:45 am Things never tend to end well and I guess it’s frequently six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Until the last few games, I’d always got the impression that the players were still giving it 100% on the park and when it looked like that had changed then the IRFU seem to have acted decisively.

If some of the players had moved as quickly against Toulouse as they did to get to the pub afterwards then we may not have shipped nearly fifty points.

They looked a lot less disappointed than me.
There is no doubt it appears some of our players lack a Professional attitude- whilst there's the commercial aspect of signings autographs, interviews etc I got the impression some hammerings were greeted with fleeting disappointment in some quarters, and a metaphorical shrug of the shoulders as if they are impervious to shouldering some of the blame. The smiley stuff really galls me if I'm honest- especially in these straightened times supporters are paying good money home and away to have the Cr#p that's been served up whilst players give the impression they're untouchable and in sinecures.
I may be being unfair...
I honestly think that is unfair on the players - and believe me in the current conditions, there isn’t a player in Ireland (or anywhere else for that matter) who thinks of their contracts as guaranteed or cosy… things are absolutely brutal, there will be more net reductions in senior squad sizes across all 4 provinces again this season, and more pressure on contract re-signing amounts.

Most of us, certainly for most of my career, are FT employees on permanent contracts I would guess - when you talk to players, rugby is actually a pretty grim career in many ways by comparison. A series of short-term fixed contracts, constant injury risk, brutal renegotiations unless you’re seriously in demand..

And I also don’t think it’s the case that players don’t care about getting hammered, of course they do not least because their employment is so precarious, but poor morale is a killer and when there’s a sense of being set up to fail it’s corrosive.

It’ll be interesting to see if there’s any signs of the shackles being lifted in how we play in the rest of the season.

Ultimately bringing players along with you, which means creating ways for them to have their say and input in a constructive way, is a key skill for a head coach in any sport. And this was Dan’s big failing. He was always ‘my way or the highway’ and was so stubborn he would literally cut off his nose to spite his face.
Maybe IAM Columbo, but I said it was my opinion. Playing for your Province is and should be different for a player born and bred there, than a NIQ "employee".

I'd ask you, would some of those performances be tolerated at Leinster, who should be our benchmark?
Some of those guys should've been nowhere near the 23 yet were selected regardless; whilst others couldn't buy a break even after playing well. What message does it send and behaviour does it encourage?
Exterminate all rational thought
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I wonder would Aki, JGP, Hansen and Lowe et al have flourished under recent Ulster coaching tickets had they had this misfortune to end up here? They landed on these shores essentially as glorified journeymen and have been improved. Compare and contrast our mob who, at best, get a sympathy cap for the middle Autumn International. Would Stockdale Hume or McCloskey have faired better in Dublin? Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't have?

I
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Deraless wrote:I wonder would Aki, JGP, Hansen and Lowe et al have flourished under recent Ulster coaching tickets had they had this misfortune to end up here? They landed on these shores essentially as glorified journeymen and have been improved. Compare and contrast our mob who, at best, get a sympathy cap for the middle Autumn International. Would Stockdale Hume or McCloskey have faired better in Dublin? Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't have?

I
We wouldn't have identified the talent in the first place. Case in point when Bealham landed in Belfast trying to secure a trial or something to that effect.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:44 pm
Deraless wrote:I wonder would Aki, JGP, Hansen and Lowe et al have flourished under recent Ulster coaching tickets had they had this misfortune to end up here? They landed on these shores essentially as glorified journeymen and have been improved. Compare and contrast our mob who, at best, get a sympathy cap for the middle Autumn International. Would Stockdale Hume or McCloskey have faired better in Dublin? Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't have?

I
We wouldn't have identified the talent in the first place. Case in point when Bealham landed in Belfast trying to secure a trial or something to that effect.
Bealham was the closest thing to an Ulsterman in France. I believe he qualified through a Fermanagh granny. Wonder why he isn't in the 23 for Wales? :scratch:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:16 pm

I
Bealham was the closest thing to an Ulsterman in France. I believe he qualified through a Fermanagh granny. Wonder why he isn't in the 23 for Wales? :scratch:
Another example of anti Ulster bias by the IRFU?
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:16 pm

I
His wife had a baby so he has to take paternity time off as well. :lol:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

His wife did. He didn't though.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Jamie George’s mum snuffed it and he’s not wimped out.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:54 pm Jamie George’s mum snuffed it and he’s not wimped out.
Old school :thumright:

The Bealhams had the ba 2 wks ago ffs and reported it was fit and healthy. I suppose with Furlong restored Andy is happy enough to give Jager a run-out as an other option for the last 2 back to back games
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:08 am
justinr73 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:54 pm Jamie George’s mum snuffed it and he’s not wimped out.
Old school :thumright:

The Bealhams had the ba 2 wks ago ffs and reported it was fit and healthy. I suppose with Furlong restored Andy is happy enough to give Jager a run-out as an other option for the last 2 back to back games
JG seems like a good egg to me.

It’s probably the easiest game left so why not give Jager a cap (before NZ try and get him back!).
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

JG shows you can be overweight but extremely fit... MM take note
Exterminate all rational thought
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Farrell said Bealham was available but he wanted to give Jager the opportunity this week.

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Anyone with a the42.ie sub that can post up the following article?

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-head-coach-6306120-Feb2024/

Just the lads we already know that are rumoured to be leaving or any new names?
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

So It Is wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:41 am Anyone with a the42.ie sub that can post up the following article?

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-head-coach-6306120-Feb2024/

Just the lads we already know that are rumoured to be leaving or any new names?
Burns out with no replacement.
Addison
Ewers
Marshall
EOS
French
OBrien
Jones
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

There’s nothing new as such, nor anything which seems to carry much weight.

He does say that Ewers may be going back to England after struggling to make an impression which may or may not come from the Twitter rumours.

Shea O’Brien is still under contract next year.

Kinsella is a rugby nerd who does very good analytical pieces but he rarely, if ever, comes up with a scoop or any gossip.
Last edited by justinr73 on Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.