Dan’s Not the Man.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

DodgyEverything
Novice
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:33 am

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by DodgyEverything »

So It Is wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:41 am Anyone with a the42.ie sub that can post up the following article?

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-head-coach-6306120-Feb2024/

Just the lads we already know that are rumoured to be leaving or any new names?
https://archive.is/mmrf6
So It Is
Initiate
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:55 am

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by So It Is »

thecrouch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:48 am
So It Is wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:41 am Anyone with a the42.ie sub that can post up the following article?

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-head-coach-6306120-Feb2024/

Just the lads we already know that are rumoured to be leaving or any new names?
Burns out with no replacement. this will be a loss imo
Addison past his best, been poor this season
Ewers done little of note this season, no big loss imo
Marshall great servant but has barely featured and is injury prone, so although it hurts me to say, but I'm going with no big loss
EOS barely featured and not been great, no big loss
French who?
OBrien who?
Jones the academy lads might not like it but no big loss
Overall some good business done there. We need a 10 though.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4674
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: The Dufferin

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

We haven't seen the best of Ewers who's been unlucky- I wouldn't be dumping him or Luke. We don't have great depth in the backs imo, regardless of what is often mooted. Luke is still a warrior who we should keep for at least a transitional season if we wants it. McCloskey could be away with Ireland; Postletwhaite hasn't impressed nor Moxham leaving Moore and Hume, if Addison goes.
Exterminate all rational thought
So It Is
Initiate
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:55 am

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by So It Is »

I think Ulster need to be bold and ditch the lads that aren't performing at the minute, or have spent more time on the physio table than on the pitch.

Ewers might come good, but he may not. He has had limited opportunity granted, but we don't need another sick note in the squad.

Remember Fat Nick's first season? That is what Ulster need. Someone who is going eyeballs out from Day 1 on the job.

Marshall might do a job. But he's just as likely to spend more time being stitched back together (unfortunately). We can no longer afford to be sentimental, we are a basketcase.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5844
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by justinr73 »

Ewers started 185 times for Exeter, including 16 last season.

He’s no sick note.

We’ve won 6 of the 9 games he’s been involved in.

There’s something wrong somewhere if it’s true he’s leaving after a year.
So It Is
Initiate
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:55 am

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by So It Is »

Well if he isn't a sicknote, then he hasn't been performing.
He was a barnstorming ball carrier for Exeter, I can't recall too many occassions when he's done that this season.

I think he was a good signing btw. Exactly what Ulster needed. But he's not been doing the business, and as much as we all want to blame Dan, running over the top of someone is what he has done his whole career, so that's on him.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5844
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by justinr73 »

The Q and A with Petrie takes place between 1815 and 1845 prior to kick off against the Dragons (aka, as HWM would no doubt agree, ‘valuable drinking time’).
User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 24614
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:Ewers started 185 times for Exeter, including 16 last season.

He’s no sick note.

We’ve won 6 of the 9 games he’s been involved in.

There’s something wrong somewhere if it’s true he’s leaving after a year.
He doesn't like soda bread, I heard.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tighthead Prod
Novice
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by Tighthead Prod »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:16 pm
Dave wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:44 pm
Deraless wrote:I wonder would Aki, JGP, Hansen and Lowe et al have flourished under recent Ulster coaching tickets had they had this misfortune to end up here? They landed on these shores essentially as glorified journeymen and have been improved. Compare and contrast our mob who, at best, get a sympathy cap for the middle Autumn International. Would Stockdale Hume or McCloskey have faired better in Dublin? Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't have?

I
We wouldn't have identified the talent in the first place. Case in point when Bealham landed in Belfast trying to secure a trial or something to that effect.
Bealham was the closest thing to an Ulsterman in France. I believe he qualified through a Fermanagh granny. Wonder why he isn't in the 23 for Wales? :scratch:
I understand that Bealham was in and around the Ulster set up in 2010/2011 when he first came across from Australia. However he was not offered a place in the Academy but was later picked up by Connacht who offered him a place in their academy where he flourished. When in Belfast I understand Bealham may have been playing for Belfast Harlequin 2s ; I hope the Connacht talent scout got a big bonus !!!
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by Bart S »

So It Is wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:26 pm
thecrouch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:48 am
So It Is wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:41 am Anyone with a the42.ie sub that can post up the following article?

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-head-coach-6306120-Feb2024/

Just the lads we already know that are rumoured to be leaving or any new names?
Burns out with no replacement. this will be a loss imo
Addison past his best, been poor this season
Ewers done little of note this season, no big loss imo
Marshall great servant but has barely featured and is injury prone, so although it hurts me to say, but I'm going with no big loss
EOS barely featured and not been great, no big loss
French who?
OBrien who?
Jones the academy lads might not like it but no big loss
Overall some good business done there. We need a 10 though.
Whoever is leaving is important to know as the rebuild starts next game at home to the Dragons.

Only players who will be here next season should be in the starting xv for this one and if Doak and Lowry are realistically vying with Flannery for the 10 jersey next season then they should ideally not be starting in any other position. I say ideally as clearly if Cooney not around or Moore/McIlroy at full back then there may be no choice.

If ulster are scared about defeat then stick some of Burns, Ewers etc on the bench (if they are leaving). If we can't even beat Dragons at home that way then we ain't going to make much impact in the other tougher games.
Jetstream
Steward
Posts: 809
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by Jetstream »

Bart S wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:12 pm
So It Is wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:26 pm
thecrouch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:48 am
So It Is wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:41 am Anyone with a the42.ie sub that can post up the following article?

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-head-coach-6306120-Feb2024/

Just the lads we already know that are rumoured to be leaving or any new names?
Burns out with no replacement. this will be a loss imo
Addison past his best, been poor this season
Ewers done little of note this season, no big loss imo
Marshall great servant but has barely featured and is injury prone, so although it hurts me to say, but I'm going with no big loss
EOS barely featured and not been great, no big loss
French who?
OBrien who?
Jones the academy lads might not like it but no big loss
Overall some good business done there. We need a 10 though.
Whoever is leaving is important to know as the rebuild starts next game at home to the Dragons.

Only players who will be here next season should be in the starting xv for this one and if Doak and Lowry are realistically vying with Flannery for the 10 jersey next season then they should ideally not be starting in any other position. I say ideally as clearly if Cooney not around or Moore/McIlroy at full back then there may be no choice.

If ulster are scared about defeat then stick some of Burns, Ewers etc on the bench (if they are leaving). If we can't even beat Dragons at home that way then we ain't going to make much impact in the other tougher games.
Fair points. I think we have to see the new Ulster in the next match. The only thing the fans have at the moment is hope.
We will give the players a chance but we will expect a response
Deraless
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4361
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by Deraless »

Tighthead Prod wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:38 pmWhen in Belfast I understand Bealham may have been playing for Belfast Harlequin 2s ; I hope the Connacht talent scout got a big bonus !!!
...and I hope his barber gets jail time.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
allezlesverres
Initiate
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:58 pm

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by allezlesverres »

DodgyEverything wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:01 pm
So It Is wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:41 am Anyone with a the42.ie sub that can post up the following article?

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-head-coach-6306120-Feb2024/

Just the lads we already know that are rumoured to be leaving or any new names?
https://archive.is/mmrf6
Just incase someone doesn't mention it, you can get all the 42 articles with the 12ft ladder website
allezlesverres
Initiate
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:58 pm

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by allezlesverres »

So It Is wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:11 pm I think Ulster need to be bold and ditch the lads that aren't performing at the minute, or have spent more time on the physio table than on the pitch.

Ewers might come good, but he may not. He has had limited opportunity granted, but we don't need another sick note in the squad.

Remember Fat Nick's first season? That is what Ulster need. Someone who is going eyeballs out from Day 1 on the job.

Marshall might do a job. But he's just as likely to spend more time being stitched back together (unfortunately). We can no longer afford to be sentimental, we are a basketcase.

Gosh, do you remember nick Williams bursting onto the team with his unique Bucking bronco style of carrying. It was so electric. One of my favourite NIQs. Not necessarily the best of them but pure hollywood
bangorboy
Steward
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by bangorboy »

allezlesverres wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:01 pm
So It Is wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:11 pm I think Ulster need to be bold and ditch the lads that aren't performing at the minute, or have spent more time on the physio table than on the pitch.

Ewers might come good, but he may not. He has had limited opportunity granted, but we don't need another sick note in the squad.

Remember Fat Nick's first season? That is what Ulster need. Someone who is going eyeballs out from Day 1 on the job.

Marshall might do a job. But he's just as likely to spend more time being stitched back together (unfortunately). We can no longer afford to be sentimental, we are a basketcase.

Gosh, do you remember nick Williams bursting onto the team with his unique Bucking bronco style of carrying. It was so electric. One of my favourite NIQs. Not necessarily the best of them but pure hollywood
Geez you miss tha head bobbing alone as he dragged three players behind him with ball in one hand looking for the offload. Took the rest of the team a while to catch on and support the big guy but gods almighty he was some ball carrier.

‘I’m Nick Williams, get out of my way’ as we sang at the time…
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
Post Reply