Dan’s Not the Man.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cormac
Initiate

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by Cormac »

MightyRearranger wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:45 pm What's with the Jackman hate, out of interest? The only person i've spoken to who has worked with him spoke quite highly of him. From where I'm sitting, it seems to me like he did a very good job at Grenoble before things started to fall apart a bit after 'the incident', then would up at the Dragons where it didn't work out. The Dragons gig seems like a bit of a hiding to nothing, the fact someone didn't turn them into world beaters doesn't mean too much about them. Has he been up to anything since?
Things started going bad for Grenoble when he was moved from an assistant to the top gig. He talks a good game, not sure he can really coach one at that level.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

JP McManus is giving 1m Euro to every GAA County in Ireland
Wonder would he have a few euro over to pay off Dan and his lackeys.
chunky
Novice

Post by chunky »

With regards the criticism of the Ulster Scrum -

Kitshoff Herring Moore
Warwick Stewart O'Toole
O'Sullivan Andrew Wilson

That's 6 international front rowers, a very solid & experienced European operator and 2 local lads who are URC level atm - i don't really see how that is improved (personnel wise) within the current budget.

In behind you have Hendy & Treadwell/O'Connor - a British Lion & Irish International / Proven Euro operator

There's no way that front 5 should be getting manhandled at any level, by any pack - take the individual players, put them into the Irish setup and there isn't a problem....who's the UR Scrum coach?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:20 am
Marco wrote:Picking up on the football analogies, excellent article in today’s IT by Ken Early, citing the difference Emery has made at Villa. 13 months ago Stevie G took them to Fulham and got annihilated 3-0, and he was sacked within an hour. In the weekend’s win over Arsenal, 9 of the same 11 Villa players who played in Fulham were playing, and won, a few days after outplaying City. This was a club record straight 15th home win in a row, with only two significant new signings. Surely this does say a lot about the impact, and in this case a sustainable one, that the right coach can make, even without many recognisable players to anyone outside the club. Dan would likely slot in very well elsewhere, so it would be a win win for club and individual alike if he moved on. Some big boy conversations needed if we lose on Saturday, will that be our Fulham result?
Under Gerrard, many thought the players weren't good enough. It looked like an entire team out of form (sound familiar). Emery was able to bring in his own men. Christian Purslow was removed as CEO. They brought in Monchi as Director of football. Even hired new scouts. Essentially the Ulster equivalent would be getting rid of all coaching staff, including Dan, Petrie and Bryn. The key would be in finding a world class coach and shaping the club around their vision. Not likely, that the irfu would give any coach that level of control. As others have said if the structures don't change , a new coach may have similar problems.
I'm sure if we did a world-wide search*, we'd find exactly the right personel for every position . . .

* Perhaps a bit further afield than Lisburn this time . . .

. . . sorry, wasn't thinking straight just there. Apologies. :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Can't believe Farrell is staying on for another four years with Ireland. I was certain he was being prepared by the IRFU for the glorious task of leading Ulster to world dominance. :scratch:
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

chunky wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:37 pm With regards the criticism of the Ulster Scrum -

Kitshoff Herring Moore
Warwick Stewart O'Toole
O'Sullivan Andrew Wilson

That's 6 international front rowers, a very solid & experienced European operator and 2 local lads who are URC level atm - i don't really see how that is improved (personnel wise) within the current budget.

In behind you have Hendy & Treadwell/O'Connor - a British Lion & Irish International / Proven Euro operator

There's no way that front 5 should be getting manhandled at any level, by any pack - take the individual players, put them into the Irish setup and there isn't a problem....who's the UR Scrum coach?
There's not enough scrum beasting in training. They need Telfer 97 lions version with added fisticuffs like the old ABC club. Ulster have a soy boy beta male woke scrum ethos.
Exterminate all rational thought
NoPayneNoGain
Novice

Post by NoPayneNoGain »

Ulsters number 8 has always been a position of strength.
Nick Williams, Marcel, Duane and now Matty Rea.

That's concerning. Rea, AoC, Burns and Lowry. That's a lightweight spine running through the middle of the pitch.

Concerned
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Jetstream wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:38 pm JP McManus is giving 1m Euro to every GAA County in Ireland
Wonder would he have a few euro over to pay off Dan and his lackeys.
So that's 26m Euro :duck:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67727057
He needs a couple of years experience before moving into international managemnt. Presumably he would bust a gut to get the Ravers job. IRFU provide the money tp pay off Dan. What's not to like? :cheers:
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Let’s bring Payne and Peel back…..
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

solidarity wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:46 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67727057
He needs a couple of years experience before moving into international managemnt. Presumably he would bust a gut to get the Ravers job. IRFU provide the money tp pay off Dan. What's not to like? :cheers:
Wouldn't have him round the place tbh. Cooneys face wouldn't fit either
Tel
Novice

Post by Tel »

Agreed re sexton ..definitely no. Dan has unfortunately lost interest but he will want to honour his contract and Ulster can’t afford to buy him out. Hopefully once we are officially turfed out of Europe he may be persuaded to try some younger members of the squad. He has talked about doing so but I haven’t seen much action yet. I haven’t a clue why he would select Rea . It certainly is not based on match performance…he must be tearing up trees in practice !! I would have concerns as per the Racing game. We can only hope the opposition dont turn up . Hopefully our front row can at least make a bit of effort…otherwise the game could be over very quickly. A big game is required by Henderson .
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Had heard he was for getting the chop at end of last season but budget/pitchgate wouldn't allow a 2 year payoff. He'll be getting one year.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Tel wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:22 am Agreed re sexton ..definitely no. Dan has unfortunately lost interest but he will want to honour his contract and Ulster can’t afford to buy him out. Hopefully once we are officially turfed out of Europe he may be persuaded to try some younger members of the squad. He has talked about doing so but I haven’t seen much action yet. I haven’t a clue why he would select Rea . It certainly is not based on match performance…he must be tearing up trees in practice !! I would have concerns as per the Racing game. We can only hope the opposition dont turn up . Hopefully our front row can at least make a bit of effort…otherwise the game could be over very quickly. A big game is required by Henderson .
Well they're in the Crown Plaza, Kolisj and all. And huge. Game overrrr Maaaaaan
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Let's hope a collection of superstars still getting to know one another can't overcome a mid table URC team with confidence issues and poor management. Lancaster and kolisi will get racing on the right track (no pun) eventually, let's just hope it is not today.