Line out

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

kUD
Novice

Line out

Post by kUD »

Our line out has been poor this year. How do we fix it?
Opposition teams seem to consistently narrow the gap and get a jumper up in front of our target.
It took until the second half v Leinster before Henderson talked to the ref about the gap, to which the response was something like "once you come in I'll ref the gap, but you're not in the line yet".
It feels like we're only hitting about 50% success in the line out, and for all the other things the team train for, surely this has to be a priority to fix.
So It Is
Initiate

Re: Line out

Post by So It Is »

I think there need's to be a bit of pragmatism.

Yes we all want quick ball off the top at the back of the lineout, or to set a maul off the back of the lineout, but when we aren't firing (which is more often than not), then JUST WIN THE FECKIN BALL AT THE FRONT.

Not ideal, but having the ball in the opponents 22 is much better than making another hash of things and being back in our own half.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

So It Is wrote:I think there need's to be a bit of pragmatism.

Yes we all want quick ball off the top at the back of the lineout, or to set a maul off the back of the lineout, but when we aren't firing (which is more often than not), then JUST WIN THE FECKIN BALL AT THE FRONT.

Not ideal, but having the ball in the opponents 22 is much better than making another hash of things and being back in our own half.
We are losing the ball at 2 as well. When the opposition have someone like prendergast or baird or woki in their back row who can be thrown up easily we will always struggle. Neither reffell, timoney or ewers are jumpers so Rea has to be there in mcanns absence. Mixing up the numbers and not allowing the opposition to get set has to be the way forward.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I don't think the lineout was completely terrible last night so much as Leinster are very good at challenging the opposition line. That said, it wasn't good enough. I feel that Leinster maybe had more height. The only thing that works is the shuffling back and forth routines to create subterfuge. That or some extra height.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:26 pm I don't think the lineout was completely terrible last night so much as Leinster are very good at challenging the opposition line. That said, it wasn't good enough. I feel that Leinster maybe had more height. The only thing that works is the shuffling back and forth routines to create subterfuge. That or some extra height.
Yes and no.

The lineout has been poor for while now. Last night's was particularly bad, but:
  • Inter pro lineouts have always been a bit more of a contest (we disrupted a few of theirs to)
  • The rain was a factor - all handling was harder and delivery slower
  • The banker option of number 2 ball was very well covered by Leinster's agility.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

The line-out is a real problem but it seems that it's the same for many teams. Line-outs, or should that be lines-out, may simply be becoming more of a contest, as they used to be. Having said that, a penalty deep into the opposition then losing the line-out is very, very frustrating.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

solidarity wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:01 pm The line-out is a real problem but it seems that it's the same for many teams. Line-outs, or should that be lines-out, may simply be becoming more of a contest, as they used to be. Having said that, a penalty deep into the opposition then losing the line-out is very, very frustrating.
A penalty deep into the opposition but failing to directly find touch in the 81st minutes is even more frustrating. :lol:
Last edited by Cap'n Grumpy on Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

So It Is wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:46 am I think there need's to be a bit of pragmatism.

In a nutshell. Possession first, especially in dirty weather and maul the shyte out of it. If we have possession, Leinster don't.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

jean valjean wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:23 am

We are losing the ball at 2 as well. When the opposition have someone like prendergast or baird or woki in their back row who can be thrown up easily we will always struggle. Neither reffell, timoney or ewers are jumpers so Rea has to be there in mcanns absence. Mixing up the numbers and not allowing the opposition to get set has to be the way forward.
Move Hendo or Treadwell to two or cut the line to 5
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:02 pm
solidarity wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:01 pm The line-out is a real problem but it seems that it's the same for many teams. Line-outs, or should that be lines-out, may simply be becoming more of a contest, as they used to be. Having said that, a penalty deep into the opposition then losing the line-out is very, very frustrating.
A penalty deep into the opposition but failing to find touch in the 81st minutes is even more frustrating. :lol:
But feckin hilarious :cheers: :lol:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:06 pm
A penalty deep into the opposition but failing to find touch in the 81st minutes is even more frustrating. :lol:
Even funnier after kicking it dead from the halfway line just 3mins earlier 🤣 I initially thought it was a failed 50:22 but Leinster took it just over the half before bringing it back for the kick.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:24 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:06 pm
Even funnier after kicking it dead from the halfway line just 3mins earlier 🤣 I initially thought it was a failed 50:22 but Leinster took it just over the half before bringing it back for the kick.
Tee hee hee. :lol: :lol: :lol:
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
jean valjean wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:23 am

Move Hendo or Treadwell to two or cut the line to 5
A lot of teams throw up the lightest and best jumper at 2 for this reason, POM, Baird etc. Cutting to 5 and a bit of movement should allow us to beat the lighter man in the air though. I think ulster have focused a lot on the scrum since kitscoff arrived, hopefully the lineout gets the attention it deserves the next 2 weeks.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Who is our lightest player? Lowry?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Dave wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:41 pm Who is our lightest player? Lowry?
Shanners? Get him in there.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.