Ulster vs Stade Toulousain 13/01/24 TNT Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Marco
Novice

Re: Ulster vs Stade Toulousain 13/01/24 TNT Sports

Post by Marco »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:16 pm We're all die hard supporters on here TBF Solids. Even when I'm bitchin I want Ulster to do well. None of us want anything other than ( reasonable) success for the team and players as people, representing our Province, but apart from some hopefully decent back row talent and a couple of front 5, by god I think we're in real trouble.

We are losing the arms race, even within Ireland; Westies seem to be getting to be ahead of us, and Munster seem to find both guts in adversity as well as good young forwards constantly.

I worry a couple of flukey decent results will again gloss over the rot at the core of UR from the schools and youth up. Some great people at clubs, schools and youth level not seeing the fruits of their hard work and dedication, as UR lets the edifice of a once great Province crumble around it. P*ssing away the legacy of so much great talent/ history with ineptitude, shamateurism and cronyism.

100% >appl
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:06 am It’s possibly worth pointing out that I’ve seen the likes of Tendulkar, Warne, Bolt, Zidane, McEnroe and er Phil Taylor but your man Dupont is well worthy of a mention in such exalted company.
Would have to agree include George Best and Lara in my list!

Indeed it was a “privilege “ to be there. Dupont epitomises world lass

Backed up by a Toulouse team , which on a man for man basis, may had had room for 2 ur players at most in the 23.

No coach in the world can overcome a difference in class of these proportions.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Class
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:06 am It’s possibly worth pointing out that I’ve seen the likes of Tendulkar, Warne, Bolt, Zidane, McEnroe and er Phil Taylor but your man Dupont is well worthy of a mention in such exalted company.
Dupont: Anyone that gets away with appearing in a photo (front page of magazine in France) stark naked in a bathrobe, without you suspect anyone taking the pi$h out of him, is the GOAT, but accept that recency bias does knock in here. Indeed when i think about it, oul Georgie would have done that, with Ms World beside him, no sweat….
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Part of me thinks that it would be better for us to end up in the Challenge Cup and go deep in it, rather than scrape a win against Harlequins, stay in the Champions Cup and end up getting pasted again as soon as we meet a decent team.

Obviously would hit us financially but I think we desperately need the serial loser monkey off our backs more than anything else.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Personally, i have zero fecks for the Challenge Cup. If Ulster lose on Saturday Europe was a failure this season.

Ulster not good/consistent enough to win it anyway.

Have been lucky with injuries overall.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Bart S wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:34 pm Personally, i have zero fecks for the Challenge Cup. If Ulster lose on Saturday Europe was a failure this season.

Ulster not good/consistent enough to win it anyway.

Have been lucky with injuries overall.
DOn't get me wrong, I don't particularly care a lot. Europe undoubtedly has been a poor show this year. As it stands, we're on course for another disappointing season.

But it's a trophy, and when your trophy cabinet is as empty as ours you can't really turn your nose up at anything.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Bristol, saracens, bayonne, La rochelle, sale are the other possible teams to drop into challenge Cup. Anyone feel confident of beating these teams? Never mind the sharks, montpellier, clermont, castre, Gloucester, benneton who we would likely have to beat away from home first.
A win against harlequins should be the aim for the simple fact we will have played very well to do so. Better losing in champions Cup last 16 than challenge Cup. There is a lot of rugby to be played between now and April, and the big sides all will lose players to the six nations bringing disruption. We need to keep aiming high.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

If Ulster somehow won on Saturday an away trip to Lyon would be most likely
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
DodgyEverything
Novice

Post by DodgyEverything »

Bobbievee wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:41 am
Would have to agree include George Best and Lara in my list!

Indeed it was a “privilege “ to be there. Dupont epitomises world lass

Backed up by a Toulouse team , which on a man for man basis, may had had room for 2 ur players at most in the 23.

No coach in the world can overcome a difference in class of these proportions.
Trying to recall a more impressive individual performance from a visiting player at Ravenhill, remember El Mago Hernandez ruling the roost with Stade in mid 00s but few else come close to what I witnessed Dupont do on Saturday night.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

pip14 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:18 pm If Ulster somehow won on Saturday an away trip to Lyon would be most likely
Most likely? Don't think so
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

pip14 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:18 pm If Ulster somehow won on Saturday an away trip to Lyon would be most likely
What's your thinking behind that? If they beat Quins, likely to finish 4th so face a pool winner, so Toulouse/Bordeaux/Saints/Leinster (current pool leaders) away from home.

Based on 3 rounds would be away to Toulouse who are top seed currently and Ulster no 16.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Didn't know any of them played rugby - except maybe Phil Taylor has maybe played as a hooker?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He’s probably paid a hooker.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:10 pm
Didn't know any of them played rugby - except maybe Phil Taylor has maybe played as a hooker?
No, drummer..... :duck:
Exterminate all rational thought