Tom O’Toole

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

richardt84
Novice

Tom O’Toole

Post by richardt84 »

Interesting snippet in the link below where Bernard Jackman suggests a switch to loose head for Tom O’Toole. While I can see it as being worth a gamble for Ireland, particularly with addition of Jager to tight head stocks, I’m not sure what it does for Ulster but we know that isn’t likely to be a consideration if there is any truth to it.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2024/010 ... captaincy/
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Tom O’Toole

Post by Dave »

Does it ever work for someone not particularly great at scrummaging? Genuine question as if it helps his game go for it. It might not help Ulster in the short term though
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Jackman's latest theory. Is he still pushing JJ for the number 10 spot? Ruaidhri O'Connor is also pushing for Zebo to cover the back three.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jetstream wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:54 pm Jackman's latest theory. Is he still pushing JJ for the number 10 spot?
Now pushing for LL for 10

Not Louis Ludik . . . Lord Lucan. :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:44 pm Does it ever work for someone not particularly great at scrummaging? Genuine question as if it helps his game go for it. It might not help Ulster in the short term though
Hard to change at 26. Porter did it, albeit going tight to loose is easier than vice versa, but TOTs no Porter.

I really don't see the point, and TOT would be better staying where he is. Currently 3rd choice but that could change to second given Furlongs form and injury profile. No guarantee of success going to loose imo.

BJ, like his namesake, sucks a big one afaic.
Exterminate all rational thought
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:00 pm
Dave wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:44 pm Does it ever work for someone not particularly great at scrummaging? Genuine question as if it helps his game go for it. It might not help Ulster in the short term though
Hard to change at 26. Porter did it, albeit going tight to loose is easier than vice versa, but TOTs no Porter.

I really don't see the point, and TOT would be better staying where he is. Currently 3rd choice but that could change to second given Furlongs form and injury profile. No guarantee of success going to loose imo.

Robin Jackman?

A more than decent cricketer.

1,400 first class wickets take some getting.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:08 am

Robin Jackman?

Wasn't he a classic English medium pacer....from South Africa?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

:duck:

Robin Jackman?

Bernard... :scratch:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Bart S wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:45 pm

Robin Jackman?

Zimbabwe but played in SA. Seem to remember that causing a few problems in the Windies during the apartheid era.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

big mervyn wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:09 pm
Bart S wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:45 pm

Robin Jackman?

Zimbabwe but played in SA. Seem to remember that causing a few problems in the Windies during the apartheid era.
He actually took the Colin Cowdrey/Douglas Jardine route of being born in India, the son of Major Jackman.

Grew up in England and joined Surrey, before spending his winters playing and coaching in Rhodesia/Zim and SA.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Agreed. It would be a surprise for sure. Ireland weak behind Porter who himself has got on the wrong side of a lot if refs at scrum time in the last year. Healy increasingly injury prone and Kilcoyne looks done.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Kilcoyne is out for the season. I can't see them turning to Buckley who should have been capped years ago. He is now on the wane.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Jetstream wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:55 pm Kilcoyne is out for the season. I can't see them turning to Buckley who should have been capped years ago. He is now on the wane.
Sadly agree. About 2 seasons past his best. Criminal waste tbh
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:57 pm
Jetstream wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:55 pm Kilcoyne is out for the season. I can't see them turning to Buckley who should have been capped years ago. He is now on the wane.
Sadly agree. About 2 seasons past his best. Criminal waste tbh
Too Buckley now.

Buckles too easily.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right