2024 U20's

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

AbzExile
Novice

2024 U20's

Post by AbzExile »

Can someone explain, in simple terms, why there are no U20 games at Kingspan.
Ireland U20 6 Nation Fixtures:
Saturday, 3 February: France v Ireland, Stade Maurice David, 9.10pm local time/8.10pm Irish time
Friday, 9 February: Ireland v Italy, Musgrave Park, 7.15pm
Friday, 23 February: Ireland v Wales, Musgrave Park, 7.15pm
Friday, 8 March: England v Ireland, Recreation Ground, 7.15pm
Friday, 15 March: Ireland v Scotland, Musgrave Park, 7pm
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Re: 2024 U20's

Post by shamalicious »

AbzExile wrote:Can someone explain, in simple terms, why there are no U20 games at Kingspan.
Saturday, 3 February: France v Ireland, Stade Maurice David, 9.10pm local time/8.10pm Irish time
Musgrave Park was the chosen home ground a couple of years back.

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

AbzExile wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:25 am Can someone explain, in simple terms, why there are no U20 games at Kingspan.
The IRFU seem to prefer the newly named Virgin Media Park in Cork with a capacity of 8,008 for them. Ravenhill getting the Ireland Scotland game in the Women's 6N on Saturday April 27.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Saturday 8:10pm KO UK Time - BBC iPlayer & Website / Virgin Media Two

Ireland U20s v France:

15. Ben O’Connor (UCC RFC/Munster)
14. Finn Treacy (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
13. Wilhelm de Klerk (UCD RFC/Leinster)
12. Hugh Gavin (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
11. Hugo McLaughlin (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
10. Jack Murphy (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
9. Oliver Coffey (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

1. Alex Usanov (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
2. Danny Sheahan (Cork Constitution FC/Munster)
3. Andrew Sparrow (UCD RFC/Leinster)
4. Alan Spicer (UCD RFC/Leinster)
5. Evan O’Connell (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster) (capt)
6. Joe Hopes (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
7. Bryn Ward (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
8. Brian Gleeson (Garryowen FC/Munster)

Replacements:

16. Henry Walker (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
17. Ben Howard (Terenure College RFC/Leinster)
18. Jacob Boyd (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
19. Billy Corrigan (Old Wesley RFC/Leinster)
20. Luke Murphy (Shannon RFC/Munster)
21. Tadhg Brophy (Naas RFC/Leinster)
22. Sean Naughton (Galway Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
23. Ethan Graham (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster).
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

This is a good match. 24-24 with 13 to go.Gleeson and Gavin the pick for Ireland. Think Joe Hopes and the pack as a whole have been quite good. As I'm writing Irelanf scored a try. 24-31
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Ireland won 37-31, it was an entertaining watch.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Hopes showed up well in the first 15-20 minutes but like all age games most of the boys will shine for a couple of weeks and then fade away as the realty of professional rugby hits them --- they don't have to be as good as existing players they have to be better and that gets harder each year after 20 -- because the year before as a years experience on you and then there is the existing weekly 23 . and rugby is a physically demanding sport with injury waiting to lower your chances.

I think B.Ward was playing for Inst last year maybe the year before so might be underaged for the group.
Last edited by rumncoke on Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Not sure which thread this belongs, but as we're talking U20s, A comment on matches played away from Aviva. Munster host Crusaders in Cork in front of 40k, Leinster have their annual 2/3 soirees at Aviva. Both are first up for touring teams, U20s internationals etc. Connacht and ourselves get square root of FA to raise funds.
We can argue that both have earned the right, but you really gotta wonder......
France and England take their international teams around the country. Wales I think have done likewise. We've had little or nothing, poor BABAs game aside. Not sure if Westies gave had anything.
UR in fairness taking Ulster to Cavan was the correct call.

We really see where we're placed in the hierarchy of IRFU priorities
Exterminate all rational thought
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I'd hazard a guess that ireland u20s would get a bigger crowd at kingspan than at independent Park. The need to help munster out is strong with the debt repayments watered down, u20s and touring sides etc. As long as ireland produce like they did on Friday night with minimal ulster and connacht input, then the suits will not see any need for change. Humphs will have a hard job changing opinions without looking biased.

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:33 pm I'd hazard a guess that ireland u20s would get a bigger crowd at kingspan than at independent Park. The need to help munster out is strong with the debt repayments watered down, u20s and touring sides etc. As long as ireland produce like they did on Friday night with minimal ulster and connacht input, then the suits will not see any need for change. Humphs will have a hard job changing opinions without looking biased.
Yep, but like I said before it doesn't make strategic or common sense to abandon your second biggest province in terms of numbers, nor indeed Westies
Exterminate all rational thought
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:47 pm
jean valjean wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:33 pm I'd hazard a guess that ireland u20s would get a bigger crowd at kingspan than at independent Park. The need to help munster out is strong with the debt repayments watered down, u20s and touring sides etc. As long as ireland produce like they did on Friday night with minimal ulster and connacht input, then the suits will not see any need for change. Humphs will have a hard job changing opinions without looking biased.
Yep, but like I said before it doesn't make strategic or common sense to abandon your second biggest province in terms of numbers, nor indeed Westies
Munster is only paying the interest on their loan. So there is no financial pressure on them. They have been linked with so many new signings they must be rolling in money.
There is no reason why we can't have the under 20's matches in Belfast
I think the IRFU is acting the cute hoør re matches in Belfast. They give the women's match knowing that no matter where it is played it will not generate a full house. Then afterwards they can claim that international matches in Belfast do not attract a crowd
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Not sure which thread this belongs, but as we're talking U20s, A comment on matches played away from Aviva. Munster host Crusaders in Cork in front of 40k, Leinster have their annual 2/3 soirees at Aviva. Both are first up for touring teams, U20s internationals etc. Connacht and ourselves get square root of FA to raise funds.
France and England take their international teams around the country. Wales I think have done likewise. We've had little or nothing, poor BABAs game aside. Not sure if Westies gave had anything.

Is this an IRFU thing or is it Ulster not putting their hand up for things? I can't imagine the IRFU masterminded the Munster vs Crusaders game?

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

shamalicious wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:39 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote:Not sure which thread this belongs, but as we're talking U20s, A comment on matches played away from Aviva. Munster host Crusaders in Cork in front of 40k, Leinster have their annual 2/3 soirees at Aviva. Both are first up for touring teams, U20s internationals etc. Connacht and ourselves get square root of FA to raise funds.

Is this an IRFU thing or is it Ulster not putting their hand up for things? I can't imagine the IRFU masterminded the Munster vs Crusaders game?
IRFU controls all I would guess. Connacht has even been given under 20's internationals in recent years.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:23 pm Not sure which thread this belongs, but as we're talking U20s, A comment on matches played away from Aviva. Munster host Crusaders in Cork in front of 40k, Leinster have their annual 2/3 soirees at Aviva. Both are first up for touring teams, U20s internationals etc. Connacht and ourselves get square root of FA to raise funds.

Fear not, we'll have a 30,000 plus stadium up the Andystown road to use soon
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:46 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:23 pm Not sure which thread this belongs, but as we're talking U20s, A comment on matches played away from Aviva. Munster host Crusaders in Cork in front of 40k, Leinster have their annual 2/3 soirees at Aviva. Both are first up for touring teams, U20s internationals etc. Connacht and ourselves get square root of FA to raise funds.

Fear not, we'll have a 30,000 plus stadium up the Andystown road to use soon
Wouldn’t bet the house on it. DUP looked delighted to take up the communities minister on Saturday.