Reset button required?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Reset button required?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:47 pm

Now is a time for calm heads, hold the line
3%
McFarseland out
14%
Cunningham out
No votes
Petrie out
3%
All out
80%

Total votes: 35

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Reset button required?

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Dave wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:54 am Can we reset the forum? It's all gone very toxic. Maybe even septic in parts. I'm not pointing fingers. Has Fermain lost the dressing room? Discuss...
You're getting sacked in the morning.....
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exterminate all rational thought
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Yoda wrote:
Marco wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:28 pm
Do I want a successful Ulster team, if that requires a minimum of say 10 or more non-Ulster born and bred players? It seems that Newcastle and Man C football supporters are more than happy with the dosh/success (admittedly not just yet for the Geordies but it will come), so maybe i would be, but I don’t think so. It is probably a generational thing, and my generation produced the all conquering team of the 80’s, but a team’s identity to me is important!
As an addendum to this, would it influence your thinking depending on how much the non-Ulster players bought into "the Ulster way" however you define it? There are players overs the years who almost view Ulster as home - Pienaar, Cooney, Muller etc - I'd be more than happy with a team of players like this bringing success
Most non ulster born players do buy in as they tend to be of sufficient standing to know what they are expected to bring and are chosen for it.
If we expanded to more mercenary type players then they should get shorter contracts with extension performance related.
As an aside I'm more concerned about the lack of buy in from local born players who have grown up being swooned over and not realising becoming a pro is the start of a career and not the end point.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

However you decide to remedy the situation, its a 5 year project minimum to make us competitive again. We are way behind where we should be in terms of recruitment, academy production, on-field leadership and off-field management. Major, major investment is needed.

Here is a thought. Why should we be competitive? Why would the IRFU throw more money at us?

The national team has probably been as successful as it ever has been over the last 5 years, a period when we have been largely average/poor. Apart from Hendy, Stockdale (when he was good), Herring, ToT and the odd appearence/camp involvement from the likes of Stu/Hume/Treaders/Lowry etc., we have contributed very little to the success of Irish rugby in this Golden Age. We have been an utter basketcase off the pitch, and mainly mediocre/poor on the pitch, with the occasional big performance.

We have no god-given right to be a top side. We haven't looked like one since 2015-ish. The IRFU are still getting the revenue from 12k+ home attendances, big spend for European home games, plenty of merchandise sales etc. They might just decide to let us continue our own merry little course.

I hope they don't ignore us, but I can certainly see why they would.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

Yoda wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:59 pm
Marco wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:28 pm
Do I want a successful Ulster team, if that requires a minimum of say 10 or more non-Ulster born and bred players? It seems that Newcastle and Man C football supporters are more than happy with the dosh/success (admittedly not just yet for the Geordies but it will come), so maybe i would be, but I don’t think so. It is probably a generational thing, and my generation produced the all conquering team of the 80’s, but a team’s identity to me is important!
As an addendum to this, would it influence your thinking depending on how much the non-Ulster players bought into "the Ulster way" however you define it? There are players overs the years who almost view Ulster as home - Pienaar, Cooney, Muller etc - I'd be more than happy with a team of players like this bringing success
Indeed, very fair point, they're very much welcome!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

What about non Ulster born fans?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

So It Is wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:28 pm However you decide to remedy the situation, its a 5 year project minimum to make us competitive again. We are way behind where we should be in terms of recruitment, academy production, on-field leadership and off-field management. Major, major investment is needed.

Here is a thought. Why should we be competitive? Why would the IRFU throw more money at us?

The national team has probably been as successful as it ever has been over the last 5 years, a period when we have been largely average/poor. Apart from Hendy, Stockdale (when he was good), Herring, ToT and the odd appearence/camp involvement from the likes of Stu/Hume/Treaders/Lowry etc., we have contributed very little to the success of Irish rugby in this Golden Age. We have been an utter basketcase off the pitch, and mainly mediocre/poor on the pitch, with the occasional big performance.

We have no god-given right to be a top side. We haven't looked like one since 2015-ish. The IRFU are still getting the revenue from 12k+ home attendances, big spend for European home games, plenty of merchandise sales etc. They might just decide to let us continue our own merry little course.

Because it's stupid not to cultivate depth in your second biggest province strategically. The Leinster conveyor is not infinite and all teams go through cycles.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

justinr73 wrote:What about non Ulster born fans?
Like the mercenary players. Short term contracts with attendance, vocal support and spend monitored on an annual basis.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

You must be IQ by now?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:48 pm
You must be IQ by now?
Not as a player but maybe as a fan!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:46 pm
Dave wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:48 pm
You must be IQ by now?
Not as a player but maybe as a fan!
I'm English qualified as a player.

I have self disqualified as a fan.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:27 pm
So It Is wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:28 pm However you decide to remedy the situation, its a 5 year project minimum to make us competitive again. We are way behind where we should be in terms of recruitment, academy production, on-field leadership and off-field management. Major, major investment is needed.

Because it's stupid not to cultivate depth in your second biggest province strategically. The Leinster conveyor is not infinite and all teams go through cycles.
Also, anyone who somehow thinks Ireland won’t miss Sexton are in for a big shock and that will reverberate, to some extent, through the game.

The results of Ulster, Munster and Connacht in Europe ought to be extremely concerning for the IRFU.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
Dave wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:54 am Can we reset the forum? It's all gone very toxic. Maybe even septic in parts. I'm not pointing fingers. Has Fermain lost the dressing room? Discuss...
You're getting sacked in the morning.....
The forum couldn't afford it
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:57 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:27 pm

Also, anyone who somehow thinks Ireland won’t miss Sexton are in for a big shock and that will reverberate, to some extent, through the game.

The results of Ulster, Munster and Connacht in Europe ought to be extremely concerning for the IRFU.
Agreed, albeit Munster have been crippled by injuries- however IRFU would be myopic not to look at their lack of depth or age profile in many areas also, similar to us. Snyman going to Magoos widens the arms race further.
Connacht have recruited well in certain areas, but have a looming front row depth issue imo. Ditto at FB and 10, like us.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

jean valjean wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:23 pm
As an aside I'm more concerned about the lack of buy in from local born players who have grown up being swooned over and not realising becoming a pro is the start of a career and not the end point.
Have to admit, this worries me as well, especially Hume and Doak.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

HammerTime wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:15 am All need to go but player power at Ulster needs sorted also. I've heard of plenty of stories about cocky players but one that always annoyed me from years ago is hearing about Robbie Diack challenging Brian McLaughlin in front of the whole group that he didn't rate his coaching. Now, all I remember Robbie Diack for is being soft as sh!te and single handedly costing us the 2013 final at the RDS. Who tf is he to come out with something like that, especially after said coach got us to a European Cup final the year before. These boys think they are something, as said on here many times before ... more happy to be strutting about the coffee shops of the Lisburn Road in their tracksuits or picking up their new motor at Bavarian BMW. The guys at Leinster must be p!shing themselves laughing at these losers. In the grand scheme of things (Irish Rugby) they are absolute nobody's. Also rans. A collective joke. Look at the plethora of coaches we've had and not one of them has been able to do anything with this lot. Does that not say something?? In saying that, DMF out. Cunningham out. Petrie out! And take a third of the squad with you.
Excellent post. Preach it. >appl

It's all too cosy at Ulster Rugby right now. Too many lads who think they've achieved something because they have a contract.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND