Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5728
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Deraless wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:33 pm Are we allowed to call Kitshoff "the Pleasure Boy" and how p**sed off is he at being duped into signing for us?
He's £1.2 million over two years p**sed off.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by justinr73 »

I mean it can only be Ulster fans that can be drunk off about signing a dual WC winner in their prime right?
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1605
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by Lurgan Lad »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:29 pm I mean it can only be Ulster fans that can be drunk off about signing a dual WC winner in their prime right?
If it leads to having to dump players all over the place as a result then yeah! If there had have been any medium term financial planning we would never have signed him.
User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 24616
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by Dave »

justinr73 wrote:I mean it can only be Ulster fans that can be drunk off about signing a dual WC winner in their prime right?
I believe he's the one peed off.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 8417
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by Neill_M »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:59 pm
Deraless wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:33 pm Are we allowed to call Kitshoff "the Pleasure Boy" and how p**sed off is he at being duped into signing for us?
He's £1.2 million over two years p**sed off.
3 year deal so £1.8 million IF he is getting £600k / year.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by justinr73 »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:56 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:29 pm I mean it can only be Ulster fans that can be drunk off about signing a dual WC winner in their prime right?
If it leads to having to dump players all over the place as a result then yeah! If there had have been any medium term financial planning we would never have signed him.
I’m all for dumping bang average players and hasbeens.
User avatar
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5728
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by UlsterNo9 »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:13 am It’s all a fairly unsophisticated load of smoke and mirrors as Ulster, like pretty much every sports team, is, in isolation, an unsustainable business.

Ticket income was down 180k to about 3 million which is not great but relatively insignificant.

The key swing in the accounts was professional game expenses going up by 2.5 million which was apparently due to the IRFU going back to charging us what they should have been.

No more money coming our way from the investment in the URC so that’s another hole that the IRFU will have to fill (by reducing our squad size…)
Let's also not forget that Ulster enjoyed a sell out knock out game versus Leinster at Lansdowne Road. I believe away team gets 25% at knock out stage, of which tickets were sold at premium rate. We also had an additional home game in the form of league knockout game versus Connacht. These two non guaranteed revenue streams would more than have offset La Rochelle.

As we didn't have a case to claim compensation for La Rochelle, then it's quite obvious we were the masters of our own misfortune.

Again La Rochelle losses a pile of bunkum. Smoke and mirrors.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
User avatar
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5728
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by UlsterNo9 »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:23 am
Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:56 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:29 pm I mean it can only be Ulster fans that can be drunk off about signing a dual WC winner in their prime right?
If it leads to having to dump players all over the place as a result then yeah! If there had have been any medium term financial planning we would never have signed him.
I’m all for dumping bang average players and hasbeens.
But when another province can take your 1st choice "bang average" out half and afford to pay his wages as a 2nd choice back up there's something seriously wrong. Leaving us with Flannery as 1st choice who was said provinces 4th choice out half two seasons ago.

Munster also reducing their wage bill as they'll have gotten Burns on less money than they were paying Carberry.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by justinr73 »

Funny how Burns suddenly becomes everybody’s favourite just as he’s emptying out his locker.

You’re forgetting that Munster couldn’t afford to offer their WC winner a contract.

Until this week, they couldn’t even afford to offer the Ireland captain a contract.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5026
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:20 am

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by Big-al »

They couldn’t re-sign Snyman because they already had an NIQ lock in Kleyn.
User avatar
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5728
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by UlsterNo9 »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:06 am Funny how Burns suddenly becomes everybody’s favourite just as he’s emptying out his locker.

You’re forgetting that Munster couldn’t afford to offer their WC winner a contract.

Until this week, they couldn’t even afford to offer the Ireland captain a contract.
Whatever your opinion on Burns, even Stevie Wonder on a galloping horse would recognise he is a level or two above Flannery. Burns is a fantastic no.2 option for anyone with ambition to challenge for the league.

Couldn't afford? or didnt want to resign a player that has made 11 club appearances in 4 seasons - 319 minutes, never played a full game? £450k per season multiplyed by 4...... Snyman was never staying as Kleyn is now NIQ, no chance of having two NIQs in the same position. Given Snymans injury profile and most likely the more expensive of the two I'd of kept Kleyn also.

I believe Munster just play the game better, crying poverty is one thing. Staving off any hint that they would in any way accept POM coming off a central IRFU contract is absolutely something they should be screaming from the roof tops and holding the begging bowl out. Even Ulster would be smart enough to do that, and did with Henderson. Believing the IRFU were not going to pay for the current Ireland captains contract is not something I was believing.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5857
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by justinr73 »

Munster aren’t even paying Snyman anyway - outside funding.

Don’t publish their accounts either so far as I know.

There’s nothing unusual about Ulster losing money.

Ask fans of Wasps, LI and Worcester.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1605
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by Lurgan Lad »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:23 am
Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:56 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:29 pm I mean it can only be Ulster fans that can be drunk off about signing a dual WC winner in their prime right?
If it leads to having to dump players all over the place as a result then yeah! If there had have been any medium term financial planning we would never have signed him.
I’m all for dumping bang average players and hasbeens.
The starting point on the financial side is making something like a 5 year budget, make reasonably assumptions as to how often you will make the knockout stages of the different competitions, ideally building in a contingency for one off shocks to produce the player budget.
The starting point on the player side is then how many players at what salary level do we want in our squad, then matching that against what players we have, who is coming through, giving us what is left for recruiting players outside the province. There should be little movement in the number of full time players we have year to year.
I get the impression that neither of these basic steps has been followed to any degree of competence, or else the IRFU has pulled the rug out from us financially to lead to so many players getting the boot. I suspect both of these has happened.
If we are dumping bang average players and hasbeens, is the size of our full time squad going to be much smaller ongoing, or where are all these players being replaced from? To dump so many players the year after signing a world cup winner to a massive contract does not suggest any level of competence in UR.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 8417
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:48 am Munster aren’t even paying Snyman anyway - outside funding.

Don’t publish their accounts either so far as I know.

There’s nothing unusual about Ulster losing money.

Ask fans of Wasps, LI and Worcester.
Indeed, the 1014 group are covering Snyman's salary as they did for big name NIQ signings in the past.
Jetstream
Steward
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Re: Dragons Pre Match Q&A with Jonny Petrie

Post by Jetstream »

Neill_M wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:33 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:48 am Munster aren’t even paying Snyman anyway - outside funding.

Don’t publish their accounts either so far as I know.

There’s nothing unusual about Ulster losing money.

Ask fans of Wasps, LI and Worcester.
Indeed, the 1014 group are covering Snyman's salary as they did for big name NIQ signings in the past.
Munster published their accounts up to about 5 years ago. They have stopped doing so. Their 2018 financials showed a cash flow deficit of 920k euro and they were projecting a higher figure for 2019.
They were hoping to break even by 2022/23.
With a number of players being paid by the 1014 group, I would feel their position has improved.
People condemn Saracens for the way they pumped money into the club.
Post Reply