The skipper

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

The skipper

Post by justinr73 »

Not sure what the fuss about Hume was.

So he celebrated a try once and cried when we beat the Bulls?

Are they bad things?

Seeing him around the group on Saturday night, he’s definitely got some personality about him and SK seemed pretty happy to melt into the background.

I’ve been a reluctant leader myself at times and I see that in Hendy.

I reckon James could well be the man for the job.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Re: The skipper

Post by Gerald the Mole »

SK cannot wait to get out of here
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Gerald the Mole wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:30 am SK cannot wait to get out of here
Okay
👍
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:14 am Not sure what the fuss about Hume was.

So he celebrated a try once and cried when we beat the Bulls?

Are they bad things?

Seeing him around the group on Saturday night, he’s definitely got some personality about him and SK seemed pretty happy to melt into the background.

I’ve been a reluctant leader myself at times and I see that in Hendy.

I reckon James could well be the man for the job.
My issue was based on a fear that he'd be our Jamie Ritchie. As in he'd be such a mouth that he'd p!ss off refs and would hurt the side as a result.

Great job on Saturday but duffing a sh!te Dragons side is not a test in leadership. Lets see how he does in SA and in the interpros.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

OK but….

A) I’m uncertain of the grounds for your fear;
B) My comments weren’t based upon the game against the Dragons, as I stated; and
C) In any event, dealing with a ref is something that comes with experience - leadership qualities are an entirely different kettle of fish
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:44 am OK but….

A) I’m uncertain of the grounds for your fear;
B) My comments weren’t based upon the game against the Dragons, as I stated; and
C) In any event, dealing with a ref is something that comes with experience - leadership qualities are an entirely different kettle of fish
A) because he a mouthy player that has numerous examples of going a bit OTT
B) fair enough
C) agreed. As long as A) is handled, then I'm all for him being slated as a future captain
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

McCann should be given more responsibility imo

Hume continues to slap the chest etc. which imo is a juvenile display of uncontrolled emotion and p#sses everyone off.
Exterminate all rational thought
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:52 am McCann should be given more responsibility imo

Hume continues to slap the chest etc. which imo is a juvenile display of uncontrolled emotion and p#sses everyone off.
He seems to think he's Sparky. All that whipping up the crowd stuff. :roll: Best way to do that is to deliver on the pitch.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The humble, gallant (loser) role has been done to death.

It’s time for a change.

Could be Hume, could be McCann but the trip to South Africa is a perfect opportunity for someone to show some willing and ambition.

Ideally, as well as being the right fit for the squad, he’d be in tune with the new coach in a Stokes/McCullum
kind of way.

We can but dream I suppose.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I'll withhold judgment until the real pressure comes on in a game as that is when the true leadership character reveals itself. I hope having the captaincy raises his own game for a start, which will be beneficial.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

He could make a very good Capt but only as a member of a leadership group

Eg early in the match against the dragons Ulster had an easy penalty in front of the post but went for the corner .

Not a bad idea against the dragons maybe but
The opportunity would have given Ulster a two score lead without having to expend a lot of energy against a relatively fresh pack .

Against other opposition I would have been a bad decision in my opinion .take the points build a lead the turning down three point penalties cost Ulster the win against the ospreys.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

All captains are, at some stage, going to make a mistake, be that turning down three points, speaking out of turn to a ref or declaring too early.

There is a (much) bigger picture….
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

I'm totally undecided on Hume either way at this point, will see how he goes over the next while.

But I do have a personal preference for the captain to be a forward rather than a back. Forwards tend to be closer to the ref during the game, they're more likely to be spotting nonsense at the ruck and in set pieces.

The likes of Hume will spend so long away from the action areas of the game due to his position. I don't think Ringrose makes a great captain for Leinster for the same reasons.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I think longer term McCann will be the captain,, but a Hume must be a strong voice during training and in team meetings to be selected as captain ahead of players like Tom Stewart, Addison, Cooney and Kitshoff.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:McCann should be given more responsibility imo

They lawd this behaviour down in Munster. Pashun merchants galore.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?