Football at Ravenhill?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Football at Ravenhill?

Post by Neill_M »

I see there is a piece in the local rag (Bel Tel) that Glentoran are exploring the possibility of asking the Irish FA to consider Ravenhill as the venue for the big two Irish Cup Semi Final at the end of March.

The only Irish League venue which would be of sufficient size is Windsor Park so Linfield would have home advantage.

The point of laying the new surface was to get outside events to raise revenue.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Football at Ravenhill?

Post by justinr73 »

According to the same source last week, Ulster removed such income from their revised budget!

Could be a timely boost!
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

In fairness is this sort of thing predictable enough to be included in budgets?
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Neill_M wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:44 am I see there is a piece in the local rag (Bel Tel) that Glentoran are exploring the possibility of asking the Irish FA to consider Ravenhill as the venue for the big two Irish Cup Semi Final at the end of March.

The only Irish League venue which would be of sufficient size is Windsor Park so Linfield would have home advantage.

To be fair, the stadium build at Ravers is much better than Windsor imo

Sure in 3 years time they can play at the People's paid for stadium over at Casement, as part of the enduring legacy to local Association Football....
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Apparently there are domestic finals at Ravenhill on the weekend in question, so that the ground is not available then.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:42 am In fairness is this sort of thing predictable enough to be included in budgets?
The mountain isn’t going to come to Mohammed.

Someone in the commercial team (is there one?!) needs to be tasked with making sure we utilise this asset.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:52 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:42 am In fairness is this sort of thing predictable enough to be included in budgets?
The mountain isn’t going to come to Mohammed.

Someone in the commercial team (is there one?!) needs to be tasked with making sure we utilise this asset.
I think I chose my wording poorly. You're absolutely correct in that UR should be canvassing for any available and suitable events, but something especially like the Irish Cup semi can't predict Linfield versus Glens, unless Ravers is offered as a SF option in case at the start of the season in this unlikelihood,with some sort of retainer to keep it free?
Last edited by CIMANFOREVER on Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Think the Beer Festival is still looking for a home after the Ulster Hall priced them out.

Something like that and/or a food festival could work quite well.

The volunteers from CAMRA would at least ensure we’d get faster service at the bar.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

They need to get Nathan Carter in. Catnip for culchies.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
chunky
Novice

Post by chunky »

How is this even possible on the 3G Carpet?

The rugby markings are stitched into the carpet - IFA rules are that football can only be played on a "clean" 3G Pitch i.e. no other sports markings on the surface, and football markings in white.

Unless they can temporarily aerosol out the rugby markings and replace with football?

Junior Cup Final is Easter Saturday
Towns Cup & McCrea Cup Finals Easter Monday

Don't football fans have to be segregated throughout and after the match, and come and go through different turnstiles?

Did anyone think this through?
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

Sure its only Irish League footy not the real thing..
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:36 pm They need to get Nathan Carter in. Catnip for culchies.
Daniel O'Donnell for the Grannies.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Neill_M wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:44 am I see there is a piece in the local rag (Bel Tel) that Glentoran are exploring the possibility of asking the Irish FA to consider Ravenhill as the venue for the big two Irish Cup Semi Final at the end of March.

Confirmed for the Oval on the Friday night (29th).
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I think the post originated from a supporters blog and may have been a bit of stirring... my understanding was the stadium is not suitable as football requires segregated ends etc through turnstiles etc that are disconnected as such. The stadium is open to all events now including concerns etc and they have played an All Ireland American Football Final there albeit the teams were bigger than the support.

Lets not forget before rugby GAA was played there according to Walter Mitty anyhow.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:44 am

To be fair, the stadium build at Ravers is much better than Windsor imo

Sure in 3 years time they can play at the People's paid for stadium over at Casement, as part of the enduring legacy to local Association Football....
To be fair though the atmosphere at Windsor is 10 times better..

Re Sir Roger Park I thought it interesting that the BBC finally grasped the fact the current plan for the stadium was in fact not up to UEFA standards for the competition and will now have to be changed to ensure it passes even the inspection. Couple of other interesting stipulations contained within UEFA stadium criteria which are non negotiable may also need closer inspection.

On a completely different matter and only because I can't be arsed creating a new thread I see that UR rules now state that a Union Flag cannot be carried and flown inside the stadium by supporters. Not that I would wish to and have queried supporters in the past why they had one but it means that my St Patricks flag is now a rule breaker.. I hope at least that this sees the removal of the Japanese Imperial Flag and will prevent other various green red black and white flags from elsewhere in the world appearing....
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU