Ulster's finances

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster's finances

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

In fairness it's not unique to GAA, but the misty eye reverence that surrounds it ( sacrilege to question anything about it) puzzles me- seems the same rules don't apply to it than to other sporting codes and organisations- sectarianism, inability/ unwillingness to tackle the subject of clubs named after terrorists/ link with violent Republicanism, , the whole "Gael" focus/ lack of genuine inclusion etc.. Stuff that is thrown rightly at Soccer, the OO, ABD, etc seems to get a by ball in GAA circles. :scratch:
But Ah sure it's our culture is an excuse that wears thin
Exterminate all rational thought
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

GAA has always been a bit of a free for all. I played it for many years. Lots of local rivalries. In fairness there was little or no sectarianism even though I was kicking the ball with the wrong foot.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Cockatrice wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:36 am
damianmcr wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:22 pm
Cockatrice wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:12 am GAA matches in recent years have become a bit of a free for all even to a degree including supporters
In what way?
https://www.irishnews.com/news/2018/10/ ... c-1453276/

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/se ... 381443.amp
Ah, I wasn't sure what you meant.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

"Last season, the IRFU converted more than €4 million of Munster’s “operational debt” into a long-term loan, meaning the province now owes the IRFU a total of €10.75 million when also factoring in the remaining sum owed for the redevelopment of Thomond Park in 2007/08. This conversion of operational debt was accompanied by a renegotiation of Munster’s loan repayments to the IRFU, which have risen from €100,000 per season to €200,000 per season."

Interesting. Can we have one of those loans please?
16 years after the completion of Thomond Park and it is still not paid for. 200k per year will not make much of a hole in the debt. I wonder is it interest free
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

However you dress it up, all the Provinces are bankrolled by the IRFU one way or another, not least Leinster in terms of their central contracts.

That’s why the IRFU don’t have any money (left) either.

Three wins out of thirteen (bar Leinster) in the Champions Cup this season shows something isn’t working.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Leinster are about to announce the signing of Jordie Barrett.

The gap between the haves and the have nots right now is colossal. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

What the hell do Leinster want Jordie Barrett for?

We could do with him at 10!! ;)
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Big-al wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:59 pm What the hell do Leinster want Jordie Barrett for?

We could do with him at 10!! ;)
In case any of their multiple test international centres or multiple test international full backs or multiple test international 10s get injured obviously.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Wished they'd signed him for more than a few months as it may have tempted some of their backs to look elsewhere (albeit munster, Connacht, anywhere but ulster right now ) .

Instead they'll just suck it up for a few months
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Pack of muppets here thinking Jordi is a 10 :lol:
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

UlsterAreBrill wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:39 pm Pack of muppets here thinking Jordi is a 10 :lol:
I was being facetious ye balloon. :mexican:
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

I'm finding myself bemused by the narrative that seems to have settled around Ulster / IRFU - namely that the duffers running Ulster have totally screwed up, the wheels have come off and we need the enlightened adults from D4 to step in and rescue the situation.

Recall that HQ keeps the provinces on a short leash by agreeing funding on a rolling annual basis on an agreed business plan, and they sign off on every single NIQ hire. So the geniuses that everyone seems to be clamouring to 'take control' in Ulster are exactly the same geniuses that just a matter of months ago signed off on the plan which everyone now seems to suggest was pie in the sky, and also signed off on a 3 year deal for Kitshoff - again seemingly a ludicrous mis-step on the part of Ulster. They are also the geniuses who have successively hired Shane Logan and then Jonnie Petrie to manage the branch. I mean I rest my case..

There is plenty of blame to go around, and behind the scenes there is pressure on budgets in Connacht and Munster as well (there will be net reductions in squad sizes next season as compared with this season in all provinces), but nobody should let HQ off the hook - their grubby mitts are all over the situation in Ulster, and they need to up their game significantly, starting by hiring good people.
..one more thing
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Leinster having the Aviva on their doorstep paying off massively for them with signings like this.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Seems a strange signing given the sheer amount of talent Leinster are producing. Even if their backline was full of plodders, their pack would hammer most sides into submission regardless.

The theory that having 4 competitive Irish provinces is akin to a rising tide lifting all boats, makes sense to an extent. But then you are relying on 4 different management teams being competent. I can see why the IRFU has backed the Leinster horse given the recent success of the Irish and Leinster sides. It hurts as a fan of Ulster for sure, but they'd be throwing good money after bad money if they gave Bryn and the recently departed Petrie more cash to squander.

Ulster isn't an unpolishable turd. It has a big following, a good stadium, a fine history and tradition, and a decent catchment area. It has been seriously mismanaged though, and for quite some time. So it requires a significant reset, and the whole house needs cleaning out, as well as our misguided expectations of winning trophies as fans.

I think (if Dublin were prepared to underwrite it) that a few years in the Connacht-style doghouse of getting little investment and being forced to play hungry young lads, and big dollop of humble pie for all young egos, would be 1 step backwards initially, but with the right administators in place, several leaps forward in 3+ years.

I've always been impressed with Connacht over the last 5 or so years. Apart from Aki, no big name signings (Aki wasn't that big of a name initially tbf, Mack doesn't count as he wasn't a big name when he signed), but boy are they a tough, nuggety team to play against. They will always go down swinging, which as a fan you'd love to see and have a ton of respect for. Being poor creates a chip on the shoulder, which is what we need in Ulster for a year or 2 imo.

Ulster have it in them, as displayed against the Stormers, but those types of gritty performances are few and far between unfortunately.

I'm strangely optimistic about Ulster's fortunes. We need this sh!tshow of a season to just be over and for all the player comings and goings to happen, and for Murphy to get a full preseason in charge to start sorting the mess out.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

HammerTime wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:32 pm Leinster having the Aviva on their doorstep paying off massively for them with signings like this.
The gap in rugby is getting wider between the haves and have nots. I think Connacht, Ulster and Munster will continue to struggle financially. There is perhaps some hope for Munster as they seem to have a few outside backers. .
JP McManus a few months back gave every county in Ireland a million euro. Just think what we could do with a million euro. On reflection we would probably blow it on some washed up player who is on his last legs.